How much off road can they handle?

lolailando

Hi jefe,
and thank you for the broad of info you shared.
Would you mind to comment on your spare tire situation? you carry two spare tire? or you just dont think is worth what you would have to give up?
I have never had a tire blowout on a truck (i do not overload) but I have no experience offroad. I've always been good carrying plugs and air pump.

Your supersingle remind me of a truck I had an 89 chevy 6.5 dually years ago that I wanted to put a utility box from a SRW cuz I got it cheap. After a year of asking around and being told it couldn't be done by many I just pulled the wheels from a srw F350 and put them on the back instead of the duallys and they fit and looked great with my srw utility body, they stood out a bit wider like yours and it work great for years.

Bob,
My rear high floatation 33x15.50-R16's on 12" wide rims can take letting more air out than my front 285-75R16's. That's why the difference in pressure. The fronts are E rated at 3450 lbs. The rears are E rated at 3750 lbs. They are pretty stiff, compared to wide sand tires I've had. I have run them for hours at 22 lbs., just like I do with my jeep's 37x13.50' XTerrains, except the jeep is much lighter so I can run on rough roads @ 10 lbs. of air for hours. In sand the jeep tires drop to 6-7 lbs. and sometimes down to 5, like at Pismo. Here's a comparo between the size on the front single and the rear duplex, both unmounted:
DSCN1370.jpg

For you, as a starting point on the sandy loam and rocky travails of Baja, going about 30-35 mph, I would take a stab at: 26-28 lbs., depending on how much sidewall deflection you get. Basically the faster you go, the higher air pressure is needed in the tires, for lots of reasons. Disconnect one side rr anti-sway bar. Adjustable shocks on stiffest setting. My guess is that your lift kit has a stiffer spring rate than a stock setup which does not exactly give you much flex or a leg up, so you could lighten up on the shock setting to compensate. It's ALL trial and error. Except you won't have much time in a chase truck to fiddle around.
regards, as always, jefe

This is a tricky one, because everyone is different, and many people definitions of ‘off-road’ and ‘Comfort’ can vary so much. When i was younger and camped alone almost always, i basically lived in a hammock while away from home, and couldn't have been happier. fast forward to when i started a family, wife and 2 kids. None of which enjoyed dads way of camping. So i bought a 1 ton diesel and a really big comfy camper. And to my surprise (and frustration… at first) it worked. They all loved camping. So the way i see it now, the more comfortable they are, the more time i get to spend in the woods with them. Most of my frustrations came from how limited my travels became in terms of how far i could get from pavement. But then a funny thing happened, i grew spoiled, and started to appreciate the space, and a/c, the heat, the shower and toilet at the end of a long day of hiking or whatever. Now i cant sleep in a hammock, or on a cot. Im spoiled. So now that my kids are a little older, i built my mini camper just barely big enough for 2. And again, im so spoiled, i have heat, fireplace, hot water on demand, a shower, and a toilet (sort of). And my wife loves it. Thats just my story, and everyone’s is different. For me, moving to a big family unit was worth it. I still have it, and for long trips, we still take it. Its nice to have all those comforts. And when you really need a break, some of the luxury rv parks sure are nice. Yea yea its not overlanding, but its getting the family out of the house to have adventures. One word of advise if you explore going a little bigger. Be careful taking your family to an rv show. Thats how i ended up with the big rig i have now. Once my wife walked into a brand new fancy camper, it was out of my hands and cost me a lot of money. When i look back though, it was worth every penny, and i feel lucky to have a wife who told me we were getting a bigger setup then i ever wanted. I also got a big work truck out of the deal. Hilarious. You just do you man, and adapt to your family.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I tried it with a pop-up (Starcraft) and hard sided (Lance) camper on an F250 4x4 and was not satisfied with the outcome. Almost any camper will compress the suspension enough to leave almost no travel, making the ride unbearable and possible damaging to the camper. Airing down the tires is not an option with such a load. If I were to attempt it with a lighter camper I would shim the camper to fit snug into the bed limiting movement and loosen the tie downs to reduce the amount of stress.
Suspension improvements solves the spring bottom out issue. Airing down a bit with the right rim/tire combo isn't an issue. The Happijac and Torklift tiedowns have some give in the front ones. My friend goes pretty darn fast on milder roads and slows down on the fairly rough ones with his Lance. The Happijacs with their front centering cones anchor the frontend real well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77