Howski's Defender 90 Build Thread

Howski

Here's some pics from SAE at Windrock Park this past weekend.
ORnT3-iU-kb67nA2wI1RDlshbWnHctJ4MSs_37Q2OtSO7OtLh2hp2ScHkbgcUIg_vg=w1331-h628

_FphsnzTmI-bBE7saauG5bvTKnKhMTIQYP5PMYg5lXxqVFNOtOMPQqDeVHJW2h26ow=w1331-h628

Iea0TEaylfuTCYKN3N9zxCPCghvnWYL5dROcjvR0n706c6RvfsYyTsR68pAWgxOedg=w1331-h628

xioXgAKkn55ERO-B56k5mcIdYvpXtSPr9un6z5-OE2KDQI7OWJq44AJm5NxnWQaOOw=w1331-h628

nDc82bUh-ZjbfAzTWH2V-rV-nkwCwLYj87XulzyYzSIQqU0Pft_O-61IJUmkk4iZLg=w1331-h628

Z22v1TG52i2DSav0xtpO8ZlOzUHZw5bIqkPz-Ds0waJneT-0AKb6n9SAe5p7DIcBRg=w1331-h628

Recovery of the FJ.
NTqCCOiszwOJI0Nkjyq_g-Sy0d047kfBIz-f32SbPxVzJv8vgBz9N4GgoOMPzwGjiA=w1331-h628

Missed the BBQ dinner but got a great view
7OO6Tu1X3rb6eqvc5NUMucq982Y87H1ue82MpBhy6H51TMhkuwzrscgFn0ycnyP6iA=w1331-h628

g8UqLsQrBsprNWotwGNpJmMOlsxOBge-nRlCswqiqcduTpcDgWt06uOam8KEbm9G7Q=w1331-h628

I had great time and was really pleased with how the 90 performed. I've reached a point where I know its tendencies and am very comfortable with it on the trails. Windrock is a great place with great trails. I primarily ran moderate trails but ventured to a few difficult trails. I believe the truck is capable, even in stock form, of running many of the the advanced trails however I didn't want to push my luck on them without rock sliders. I barely scratched the surface of the trails so I will be back to ride more in the near future.

The 90 did acquire some mild trail damage behind my drivers side tire coming off a ledge on Trail 44, an advanced trail. The other casualty on the 90 was a failed trailing arm bushing. The failed bushing caused the rear axle to move backward and forward on the drivers side, making the vehicle lurch to the side when getting on or off power. This has little impact with its performance on the trail, however it made it nearly uncontrollable on the ride back to camp. If that weren't bad enough, I completely lost my clutch as well. I somehow managed to limp it back. Some Xterra guys were gracious enough to trailer the 90 back to Rome while I followed in their truck. I'm grateful the off road community is full of folks like this.

That leaves the 90 down currently. I hope to sort out the clutch issue shortly. Oddly enough, the same problem occured after last year's SAE but there have been no issues up until now. A good bleed of the slave cylinder solved that so I'm hopeful that will be the case this time. An order for the orange Dynamic Polybush bushings will be made later this week, having them installed next week.

Last edited:

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Nice to meet you this weekend sir! We had a great time out on the trails with you. I am still working on my pictures, but so far they look pretty good.

Howski

I've been able to make progress on a few things recently. Picked up a new (used) rear door (at a great price) so I can finally put my spare tire out back. What a huge improvement. It does need a D1 tire carrier, to fit a matching alloy, and new hinges, which will be ordered next week. When I fit the D1 tire carrier I plan to reinforce the door frame as well. The door is white in the pictures but it's been painted the same color as the rest of the truck since. I'll also be painting the roof more of a bright white color as opposed to the off-ish white it is now. Other plans for the winter include replacing fluids in the transmission and transfer case, and ordering new tires within the next month or so.

Got in some great trail riding this past weekend in Tennessee and Alabama with LR_Max and Hatfield. It was really a fun trail. About 12 miles long, severely downhill for the first several with plenty of rocks. It drops onto a trail that runs adjacent to a creek and crossing it about a dozen times. The creek was dry but I'll be excited to run the trail again in the spring when the creeks have some water in them. Plan to run it uphill at that time also.
3.jpg
The recently fallen leaves, paired with rains the night before, made things slippery on some portions of the trail.
1.jpg
4.jpg
Rocks we faced throughout the middle portion of the trail.
2.jpg
Very poor judgement here. I thought I could squeak up the right side of an increasingly wide v-ditch as you went up the hill. Felt the rear end start to go and just no ammount of throttle could have saved me. A quick tug on the winch from Max and I was free.

Last edited:

Howski

It's been awhile since I've update this. The 90 has been running well after some issues with the electrical system. Somewhere a ground wire went bad so it was nothing major (though very frustrating). I painted the roof a true white color from the cream color it was before. I think it makes it look a little refreshed.

I've also installed new (sort of) tires. I continued to use the 285/75/16 size that I've been using since first fitting more aggressive tires shortly after getting the 90. I purchased the Cross Grip M/T retreads from www.tirerecappers.com at a very reasonable price. Free shipping is included if you purchase 4 or more. They are roughly half the price of equivalent KM2's. I've spoken with several people who have these tires and have been very pleased with them. They are constructed in a similar fashion to the TreadWright tires that are more well-known retreads. I'm aware these tires get bashed from time-to-time but through my research I reasoned this more perception than reality. That being said, I will keep an on the condition of them perhaps more than a The Cross Grip M/T has a very similar tread pattern to the BFG KM2 and mine came on 4 matching BFG A/T E-rated tire carcasses. They do hum louder than the Maxxis's I previously bad but they're not deafening.

On Tuesday Northwest Georgia got what we'd consider significant snow. What was supposed to be a light dusting ended up being closer to 3".

The roads were a mess with inexperienced drivers and under equipped vehicles. I was reluctant to pull anyone with the 90, as most of the stuck vehicles lacked adequate recovery points, but helped where I could, pushing stuck vehicles up an icy hill with the help of some others. After the initial chaos of people leaving work just after lunch, I took Riley out to enjoy the snow at a local park. Our short ride home was miserable but after criss-crossing all over town to avoid gridlock we made it home.

With the office shut down on Wednesday, I did some adventuring in the northern part of the county with a coworker in his JK on 35's. Though the trip included primarily Forest Service roads with little difficulty it was nice to get out on a beautiful sunny (and snowy) day. I was pleased with the performance of the new tires in the snow, ice and light terrain we encountered.

I will be visiting Adventure Offroad Park outside of Chattanooga this weekend where I will be able to put the new tires through their paces. I have not been to this relatively new park but have heard and read good things. With a lack of public opportunities for moderate or challenging trail riding it's nice to see new off road parks spring up. I am in the beginning stages of organizing a mini Ultimate Adventure-style trip for later this year which would hit several off road parks throughout the southeast. More on that later...

Howski

I was able to get out and put the new tires through their paces several weeks ago at Adventure Off Road Park & Nature Center. I was very pleased with their performance. The only drawback of these tires is they are loud - significantly louder than my last set of tires I had anyways. They performed well, clearing mud and gripping rocks as I expected. I did have a little adventure after about 5 minutes on the trail when a heater hose blew. Luckily a quick trip to the nearest auto parts store, a couple gallons of water and I was back in business. The park itself wasn't to my liking. The trails were all extremely short. It seemed I spent most of my time figuring out which trail we were going to take next instead of riding. Additionally, the rating system wasn't completely accurate. Each rating level (blue, green, black) having a very wide spread of difficulty. Per usual, I failed to take any pictures on this trip. I've been frustrated with my failure to take photos and have made this a focus for upcoming trips.

It looks like a DII is in my near future for a DD so I will likely not be driving the 90 as much, especially in the summer and winter months. It will be nice to have a second vehicle I don't despise driving, as is the case with my current vehicle. I will have a follow up post when I pick it up. My next trip will be in mid-March, including both a difficult trail ride and trout fishing. I intend on doing a full blown trip report for that but will post the link here.

Last edited:

Howski

Here's a trip report from a ride this weekend http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...s-amp-Tennessee-Whiskey?p=1545597#post1545597 The 90 continues to impress me on the trail. It keeps you busy with manual steering and a 5-speed but it makes it that much more enjoyable.

I'm also happy to announce I'll be adding a second Rover to the stable. I will be picking up a mint 02' Discovery next weekend. I'll add a picture after I pick it up. I plan use it as a DD and keep it 100% stock aside from removing the factory running boards.

Howski

Sadly, this is where the build ends. My 90 was seized by the Federal Government yesterday morning. Not only is the loss of a vehicle,significant financial investment but a major blow to a lifestyle I enjoyed and had formed my life around. Unfortunately this has put a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not sure I could ever see myself owning a Defender again. I'll likely be on the Rover forums to deal with the inevitable issues that arise with my Disco 2 but my days on ExPo will be few and far between

GR8ADV

Explorer
Sadly, this is where the build ends. My 90 was seized by the Federal Government yesterday morning. Not only is the loss of a vehicle,significant financial investment but a major blow to a lifestyle I enjoyed and had formed my life around. Unfortunately this has put a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not sure I could ever see myself owning a Defender again. I'll likely be on the Rover forums to deal with the inevitable issues that arise with my Disco 2 but my days on ExPo will be few and far between

Just read your whole thread. Like losing a member of the family.

cosmiccharlie

Explorer
It's been happening all over the country. Was yours truly an 84 or was it a newer model with an older VIN?

Howski

It's been happening all over the country. Was yours truly an 84 or was it a newer model with an older VIN?

It was a true to form vehicle. These seizures are centered around one importer and I do not believe simply about the vehicles being in original condition, VIN swapped, etc. It's quite frustrating to see much misinformation spread around, particularly on the thread in this section, about why specifically these vehicles were seized.

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I hate to hear the news! Very sad for you.... what was the root then? Sounds like your vehicle should have been legal??? or the diesel motor is not allowed?
Again, really sorry to hear the news, that is a great looking LR 90

cosmiccharlie

Explorer
I have read about the targeting of trucks that came through that one importer. What was their reasoning for taking yours? Sorry to hear that it happened. It really sucks that they are targeting trucks that should be legal under the 25 year rule.

Howski

Again, I do not believe the heart of this to be the configuration of the vehicle. Post #79 in this thread sums it up well

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater