I can't deicide which tire!!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Why yes, yes it is the same kojack.

I was suggesting if you are close to the border, Canadian tire has a version of the duratrac that comes on sale for a really good deal. last week it was 187 for a 285/70/17. I was close to buying them for my rig and swapping my BFG to my avalanche. Add in the currency conversion, I think it would be 150 bucks for that tire in American funds.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
Yeah.. near the same price via tirerack.com at least that is the price were hoping to acquire when it's time and the tire purchase is about half was down our list. I think if we do the 285's.. it will have to be spacered.. But I'm not willing to run a thick 1.5 spacer.. maybe have the shop custom tailor a set of ring spacers similar to seen here:

gor-sp602_w_ml.jpg

kojackJKU

NO. Don't use those. use the real bolt on spacer, they are fine. I have 1.25" spacers. I have been running them since my jeep was new in 2011, and I now have 160k on it with no issue. Those that you pictured lessen lug nut thread count. run away from those.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
My Bad.. I apologize.. wash my text out with soap.. I understand the relevance of this.. shims hold the wheel out thus reducing the lug thread on the studs.. I will as you say.. "run away" from these and this idea.. I never said all my thoughts are plausible. However, I have seen 1.25 spacers.. and I believe these are the thinnest available.

Last edited:

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
Allright.. well I've heard horror stories of these falling off (wheel & tire) and I've seen pics of this where Jeepers turning into a lot only to have these fall off.. granted I am aware that whoever installed these, didn't use the correct lug setting or over wrenched the lugs breaking the studs. Yes and I've found these broken lugs w/ stud in the road..

kojackJKU

I have hit many pot holes etc, never had an issue. Loctite them in place and there is no difference than your hub. they work great if you ask me.

Like I said, I have 160k on my Jeep at the moment and I installed these at 30k. back in 2011 when I got sick of the tires connecting my swaybar.

Kelly is a Goodyear brand and build to their standards. The TSR is a fine tire but has the same limitations as the Duratrac.

What limitations are those? Sidewall issues? Because I am close to having to purchase a new set of tires also and have been looking a the cooper, nitto, kelly and BFG k02 but the money is quite variable as much as 75-100 per tire. I have been running flakiness which I put on at 36,000 miles I just 115,000 and am still not a the wear bars but you can see the wear bars easily enough.

What limitations are those? Sidewall issues? Because I am close to having to purchase a new set of tires also and have been looking a the cooper, nitto, kelly and BFG k02 but the money is quite variable as much as 75-100 per tire. I have been running flakiness which I put on at 36,000 miles I just 115,000 and am still not a the wear bars but you can see the wear bars easily enough.

me too have been running wheels spacers for close to 80,000 miles no issue at all.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yes, just sidewalls. Important in some areas, like here, where we have lots and lots of marble in the hills with jagged edges.
They're really good tires otherwise and I see them on lots of different types of trucks.

kojackJKU

If I were to run duratrac, I would run the Canadian tire version I can get two sets of them for the price of one set or real duratracs.

VistaCruiser

Observer

Sidewalls were about my only complaint about the DuraTracs C load range. Swapping 33" rubber @13,000ft., top of Mosquito Pass, sucked. Rolling some ST Maxx hopefully this week.

Stepsride

Good thread. I have had my BFG KM2 for about 20K on them still more than half the tread. I live in Florida and do great in the rain in my opinion.

The GY MTR I think are on back order again. They are a pain to get. For some reason they cannot keep up with demand.

Next tires probably Toyo. (durable quiet a bit heavy) or the cooper (someone told me this is the number one tire in Australia for offroad, Not sure that matters here in Florida)

I get a lot out of these threads great stuff

kojackJKU

You would know about driving in the rain. Its crazy when it rains in FLA. I am arriving in Orlando on the 29th of april for 2 wks. hopfully the rainy season is not kicked in then. In the summer like clockwork early evening thunderstorms are wild. Its good to know that KM2 works good in rain. My number one driving condition here.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
KoJack.. it would seem that we're not going to add any sort of spacer.. and rely on the factory recommended tire size or the 255/75/17's.. it's a shame that we can't find a tire thats a little taller and wider without adding any sort of lift or spacers.. I've found some close.. but these tires are not off road ready and are referred to as E load rated.. which I'm not willing to have on the jeep, it rides like a tank now..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk