I can't deicide which tire!!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
KoJack.. it would seem that we're not going to add any sort of spacer.. and rely on the factory recommended tire size or the 255/75/17's.. it's a shame that we can't find a tire thats a little taller and wider without adding any sort of lift or spacers.. I've found some close.. but these tires are not off road ready and are referred to as E load rated.. which I'm not willing to have on the jeep, it rides like a tank now..
255/80-17 and 255/85-16
http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/90000019974.html
http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/90000019869.html
http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/360460.html

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
In PNW terrain I've had no issues with the sidewalls on my GY Duratracs (315/75-R16) even when aired down to 8lbs. Our terrain is primarily dirt, mud, tree roots, and smoother rocks. We do have plenty of downed tree branches that you'd think would cause more of an issue. I love them for snow wheeling. The guys that I have seen ripping sidewalls up here are the ones that also break stuff every trip from driving the trails like a pissed off teenager at the wheel someone else's truck.

As far as GY MTR-Ks being constantly out of stock... It seems guys up here order a couple sets at a time to stockpile them. These would be the same group as the above. Guys initially stockpiled them because they were hard to get, now they are hard to get because these same people keep stockpiling them.

-------

These threads always amaze me when the inevitable lift and tire spacer discussions enter the conversation. For every guy who swears by the spacers there is another warning against them. Same goes for budget boosts. I bought one as a temporary measure while deciding what lift I really wanted to go with and haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade since it gets the job done and does just fine on the trail. A super flexy suspension is kind of a waste for mainly overland style wheeling with only a few weekends a year doing off road parks. If you can afford it and want to do it then more power to you but don't let someone tell you it is necessary.

junglecaptn

The debate goes on. I'm trying to decide between the KO2 and Duratrac for my Ram 1500 for limited off road but that would include CO, UT and NV where the reports of the Duratrac sidewall issue concerns me. If I was only east of the Rockies I might tend towards the Duratrac. Does going from a D to an E tire make that much difference in sidewall strength as I think Duratracs are available in both? The KO2s seem to be mostly E rated in 285/70/17.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails

hah.. I knew Hilldweller would follow up with his cooper plug. But I'm right there with you Hill.. So the "80" represents how wide the tire is.. thus being slightly wider than the "75" Also, I do see that it is "E" rated.. and if these are the tires without to many or no alterations to the jeep.. I may need to reconsider Erates over Drates.

Here's a comparison:

Goodyear Duratracs 255/75/17: Section Width: 10.00" / Overall Diameter: 32.00" (Standard Size)
Cooper Discoverer 255/80/17: Section Width: 10.20" / Overall Diameter: 32.80" (Slightly Taller & Wider)
Goodyear Duratracs 285/70/17: Section Width: 11.50" / Overall Diameter: 33.00" (Too Wide & Too Tall)

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
hah.. I knew Hilldweller would follow up with his cooper plug. But I'm right there with you Hill.. So the "80" represents how wide the tire is.. thus being slightly wider than the "75" Also, I do see that it is "E" rated.. and if these are the tires without to many or no alterations to the jeep.. I may need to reconsider Erates over Drates.

Wow.. On the Money..

Here's a comparison:

Goodyear Duratracs 255/75/17: Section Width: 10.00" / Overall Diameter: 32.00" (Standard Size)
Cooper Discoverer 255/80/17: Section Width: 10.20" / Overall Diameter: 32.80" (Slightly Taller & Wider)
Goodyear Duratracs 285/70/17: Section Width: 11.50" / Overall Diameter: 33.00" (Too Wide & Too Tall)
The 80 and 85 are aspect ratios.
255 mm wide and 80/85% of that in height. 17 and 16" wheel sizes. 33" more or less.
Cooper makes tires in that size and Toyo ---- I like them both.
You can also find the KM2 in that size but not sure how long they'll continue to make them. I tried the KM2 in a 255/85-16 on my last Jeep but found they hydroplaned like mad. BFG actually bought them back after 10,000 miles (prorated for wear).

33s that fit stock wheels, no rubbing.

I've had no sidewall problems with the 33/12.50R15 Duratracs on my JK in 29K miles.

My terrain is the rocky high country of Colorado and the redrock desert of southern Utah. I air down to around 12psi whenever off highway. My personal opinion is that airing down is the key to saving tires when off road, besides the obvious traction and ride gains. Full street pressure = punctures and tears.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
One thing puzzles me.. these tires are about 7 Lb.s heavier than the Duratracs.. Wont this affect fuel economy?

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I will also affect the control of your vehicle, i.e. braking distances, acceleration, and also turning. With the ST MAXX ride quality is lessend as well.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
Sorry, I can't bring myself to sway away from Goodyear.. Duratracs back on the list.. I think the main reasons.. the E load rating.. Lesser fuel savings, and of course the wife.. wants the Goodyears.. Also, I had an interesting conversation with KYB.. they inform me that the standard shocks they offer are 10% stiffer and the gas-a-just are 20% stiffer than factory replacements.. I hate that we'll have to return to the C rating.. Let's hope these Duratracs doing bulge like the the General grabbers.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
why not seriously give the Monroe reflex a try, lifetime warranty, cheap, and their ride is awesome.

I have them on 3 rigs, and my jeep has over 100k on my set and they are perfect.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
Kojack.. not going to happen.. Again.. We've already waste time and money with having a set of Monroe's installed and they screwed up our suspension and you know who came to our rescue.. twice.. KYB. So we have an obligation to fulfill with KYB. So if you're giving me a set of these shocks.. I might take them and use them door stops.. Thanks for the vote of confidence.. and As I said at the beginning.. Glad things worked out for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk