I have searched high and low.......

DannyL

I have decided to ditch my aging 1500 Silverado and Palomino camper and get a van. The van would eventually be converted to 4x4.
It would be a workhorse for overlanding, pulling my Jeep on flatbed to off-road events and my fishing boat to the lake.
It'll be outfitted as a camper with the basic necessities.
I've been looking at E250/350's XL's but I found a pretty nice high top Express 3500 cargo for sale.

I've been researching 4x4 conversions and everything points to Fords or Squigley GM conversions.
I'm just wondering why the Express/Savana's don't have more interest and post of conversions are rare.
I think I found a one DIY conversion on an Express but that's about it. Now I'm sure some of you out there have gone down the same road and
probably have some secret links related to GM 4x4 conversions.
I don't care if it's leafs or coils, just something to guide me before I make my choice.

I just recently sold my off-road shop and have been building off-road related stuff for the last couple of decades.
I have/had Jeeps, Suzuki's and Toyota's (wife has an 1969 FJ-40 that waiting for a makeover) so the 4x4 van thing interest me because it's different.
The plan is to purchase and when I decide to convert to 4x4 it takes the least amount down time possible, hence the research.

I do have 2003 E350 SRW 12' box van left over from the sale of the Co. but the height and long overhang don't really thrill me.
7000 pounds of Jeep and trailer pinned to that long overhang much be sketchy.
I sure would make camper conversion easier, but more conspicuous if ever I decide to stealth camp....

So I'm done babbling for now, shoot me your ideas!

Thx
Danny

DannyL

You don't need 4 x 4
Go with an AWD Van, they are great in snow, and work for people hauling and camping just great, use ours daily 2005 AWD GMC Put over 100,000 miles on it and would not give it up !!

I find it a bit presumptions that YOU know I don't need 4x4. You have no idea of what terrain I want explore.

That being said the AWD are non existent up here and it would only be a 1500 IF I did find one.
My Jeep and trailer that I'd tow are is very close to 7000 lbs is not a little more+ gear in truck.

I'll keep exploring......

Johny5

Adventurer
I built a couple 4x4 savana's with 05+ford diffs . Works well and rides good.
03-07 don't need exhaust modifications and the gas tank doesn't need to be cut down . Don't even have to pull transmission to convert to 4wd .

Choff

Adventurer
I find it a bit presumptions that YOU know I don't need 4x4. You have no idea of what terrain I want explore.

That being said the AWD are non existent up here and it would only be a 1500 IF I did find one.
My Jeep and trailer that I'd tow are is very close to 7000 lbs is not a little more+ gear in truck.

I'll keep exploring......

Go for it, the AWD are hard to find ??, lots on the net for sale, you want a 4 x 4 any way !!!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Johny5's van is exactly what you're looking for.... Check out his build thread and follow in his foot steps. Those superduty axles are the best bang for the buck in my opinion, and I probably would've used them if I'd known about it a couple years ago when I started gathering parts for mine. I get so tired of hearing people tell me that a 2wd van with tires and a locker would go 90% of the places I go, it's just not true.... Hell, unless you have lockers front and rear, and at least 35" tires, even a 4wd van would have problems following me where I take the Lunchbox.

DannyL

I built a couple 4x4 savana's with 05+ford diffs . Works well and rides good.
03-07 don't need exhaust modifications and the gas tank doesn't need to be cut down . Don't even have to pull transmission to convert to 4wd .

Do you have a URL to a build Johny5?

My biggest concern is not to have 6-8" lift with a SAS. 2-4" would make me as I don't want to run tires any larger than 33ish"

As for the internet having tons of AWD's for sale, it's still only a 1500!

Thx

screwball48

Explorer
Check out Weldtec Designs. Look towards the end of the "Road to SEMA, A 90 day build" thread.

You could also take your box van and stick an ambulance body on it in place of the cargo box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

45Kevin

Adventurer
I put the 2500 rear leafs on my AWD Express 1500 and just last weekend hauled a 6000# (2850 kg or so) trailer with no problem.
The springs lifted it up about 3" and the 7-800# tongue weight only dropped it down an inch or two.
I was towing in the mountains and the 5.3 did well, although it was dropping down to 3rd and screaming on some of the hills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner