I need to upgrade my truck to a 250/2500

No Ma

Wonderer
I'm in the 350/3500 camp as well. We took delivery of a 2022 Ram 3500, Cummins standard output, crewcab last December. Campers and off-road equipment add up quickly and as others have said, the coil springs in a 2500 Ram don't cut it for modest payloads and up. We ordered from the factory (took 2.5 months during the height of pandemic/supply chain problems). Only way to go for us. You can see your payload and base price up front and get as close to what you want as the manufacturers will allow.

Ours went from 8100 lbs bone stock to 9080 lbs after off-road front and rear bumpers (with minimal LED lights), 16.5 winch, Carli Pintop suspension, 18" Method wheels and 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. We added a Four Wheel Camper Hawk that took it up to 10380 lbs dry. Final config with a Rigd tire carrier and table was 10660 lbs dry. It's a nice place to be as we have what we want and still have extra payload available for people/food/water/dogs and any future add-ons.

The ride from the factory surprised me as I was expecting a cinder block on wheels, but it was much better than that. After the Carli upgrade, both on-road and off-road improved dramatically. It's a great cruiser that's surprisingly capable off road. We haven't run into anything yet that it wouldn't handle as long as it was wide enough to fit. Coming from an off-road SoCal teardrop behind our Wrangler JKUR, we're really happy.

20220826_172016.jpg

Last edited:

No Ma

Wonderer
Oh yeah... add another 260 lb for a pair of White Knuckle sliders to the other items. I knew I'd forgotten something that bumped the weight up there. They've already seen a bit of rock up on the White River Plateau this summer.

peekay

Adventurer
I will be taking delivery on a Hallmark Milner in about a year. My current truck is a 2007 Toyota Tundra with 170k miles. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Unfortunately, the weight of the Milner with passengers and camping equipment will exceed my cargo capacity. I’m looking at upgrading to a 3/4 ton for the extra capacity and less stress. What are folks thoughts on Chevrolet, Ford and Ram trucks and their availability. I guess Ram Trucks are currently more available. I know this is probably a very subjective question.
if you want a new truck, get a new truck. But don't kid yourself that a Tundra, nor any truck, including a Tacoma, could not handle the camper you're planning to get. That's a tiny camper and any 1/2 ton can handle it, unless you have a family of 4 each weighing 250lb+. Heck, I think a Maverick can probably do it, albeit not well. 3/4 ton, haha. Come on.....

billiebob

Only one suggestion.... Ford, Dodge, Chev, thats my otder of choice but none are bad, I just love solid axle and. hate independent suspensions mostly due to the cost to modify and the cost to maintain....

Beyond that, buy a gas engine. No subjectivity about it todays diesels are headaches and likely due to be phased out. India banned diesels in the major cities 10 years ago and everything from semis to Tuk Tuks converted to natural gas. Europes big cities are also banning diesel engines due to the emissions. Here in North America we are getting inventive with the DEF thing but that is just a stop gap. Eventually no big city will allow diesel engines into its core.

Diesels are history and the silly things we do to extend the inevitable are flat out stupid. There is nothing wrong with the best gas engines today.

Grasslakeron

Explorer
Go f350 with the 7.3 and 4.30's. You can haul and pull just about anything and your smile will get larger when you press down on the pedal.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Beyond that, buy a gas engine. No subjectivity about it todays diesels are headaches and likely due to be phased out.

Stellantis has announced the demise of the 3.0 Ecodiesel...gone from both the Ram 1500 and the Jeep Wrangler.

But if you're thinking big diesels...the ones that haul all the world's freight, or even tow our giant campers...are going away soon, you'll have to wait a while. No gas engine has the torque to do the job...and no electric motor has the range (yet).

nickw

Adventurer
I'm in the 350/3500 camp as well. We took delivery of a 2022 Ram 3500, Cummins standard output, crewcab last December. Campers and off-road equipment add up quickly and as others have said, the coil springs in a 2500 Ram don't cut it for modest payloads and up. We ordered from the factory (took 2.5 months during the height of pandemic/supply chain problems). Only way to go for us. You can see your payload and base price up front and get as close to what you want as the manufacturers will allow.

Ours went from 8100 lbs bone stock to 9080 lbs after off-road front and rear bumpers (with minimal LED lights), 16.5 winch, Carli Pintop suspension, 18" Method wheels and 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. We added a Four Wheel Camper Hawk that took it up to 10380 lbs dry. Final config with a Rigd tire carrier and table was 10660 lbs dry. It's a nice place to be as we have what we want and still have extra payload available for people/food/water/dogs and any future add-ons.

The ride from the factory surprised me as I was expecting a cinder block on wheels, but it was much better than that. After the Carli upgrade, both on-road and off-road improved dramatically. It's a great cruiser that's surprisingly capable off road. We haven't run into anything yet that it wouldn't handle as long as it was wide enough to fit. Coming from an off-road SoCal teardrop behind our Wrangler JKUR, we're really happy.

View attachment 748227
What is the Payload capacity of your rig?

nickw

Adventurer
Something else to consider between 2500 and 3500 is gas vs diesel, in some cases a lightly optioned gas 2500 is probably approaching the payload of a fully decked out diesel 3500. I've seen some Ram 2500 diesel's that were sub 2000k payload - I wanna say getting a gas gets you ~800 lbs of additional payload....

My 4x4 Tradesman 2500 Hemi is 3200 as a FYI

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
But if you're thinking big diesels...the ones that haul all the world's freight, or even tow our giant campers...are going away soon, you'll have to wait a while. No gas engine has the torque to do the job...and no electric motor has the range (yet).

It likely wont be gas, diesel, or electric for OverTheRoad trucking

OTR Trucking going hydrogen fuel cell combustion isn't that far in the future. Energy dense, fast refueling, and clean.

Explorerinil

Observer
It likely wont be gas, diesel, or electric for OverTheRoad trucking

OTR Trucking going hydrogen fuel cell combustion isn't that far in the future. Energy dense, fast refueling, and clean.
Your correct, cummins is developing hydrogen engines. I read that in the Midwest there’s going to be grants for hydrogen filling stations. Hydrogen is on it way here for heavy duty applications. I see diesel as on it way out.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Go with the 1 ton, especially with the RAM. The coil springs on a RAM 2500 aren't really great for heavy constant loads. At least with the leaf springs in the 3500 you can add a leaf easily or a helper spring. You could do airbags on the 2500 with coils but that tends to add sway.

This x 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle