I think I am gonna build an Unlimited....

OKRCON

Metcalf said:
adrenaline,

I'm not going to be able to do it all at once. I will have to do it in big stages. I have a pretty good plan on the order of things.....

Stage one- Diesel re-power. The jeep should be able to function just like stock with the new engine ( and transmission ). The stock 3.73 non-rubicon gearing should also work pretty well with the stock 30"ish tires. I would like to prove that a diesel engine can be swapped in that will function just like stock.

Stage two- Atlas and Tummy Tucker. This is the next logical step for me. I think the cross member design is one of the tragic flaws of the jeep TJ/LJ platform. There is a lot of room for improvement. The 4spd atlas is suppose to fit 'better' than the stock 2 speed atlas because the position of the front output portion of the case is in a more factory like position. This puts the output between the two inner front seat mounting bolts. I would really like to have a cross member that had as much clearance as possible. I am entertaining the idea of redoing a bit of the transmission tunnel to make a little more room. Even a stock AEV/Nth Tummy Tucker with an Atlas 4 speed would be a HUGE improvement over stock. The 4-speed 10:1 atlas transfer case will provide all the gearing options I need with regular middle ranges as well.

Stage Three- Suspension and axles. I am a bit of a mechanical designer and engineer. I plan on redoing much of the suspension to make the most of the stock style short arm suspension. This may include some relocation and reinforcement of mounting points of the suspension. I don't think I will need anything more than a 3-3.5" lift to run the 37s with the AEV Highline. I really want a suspension that can do everything...including some higher speed desert stuff without having to worry ( hence the bumps and fox shocks ) I will have to include some axle modifications at this stage to help dial in pinion angles and such. Depending on how the gearing works out with the diesel I may be able to try an interim tire size to help me determine the final gearing needed ( right now with the diesel I am leaning towards 4.56s )

Stage Four- AEV higline kit, tires, and wheels.

I am going to try and work in the bumpers, rockers, and winch before the suspension to get a better idea of final sprung weight.

I'm not planning on doing this to a new off the showroom floor vehicle. There are lots of 04-05 Jeep Unlimiteds in the 15-17K range right now. I have been keeping an eye out for one with a blown motor :) It is a lot on money no matter how you look at it though....but hopefully a project like this would last a long long time.

This sounds like a great project. It is similar to the way I went with mine. I have a few suggetions for you though speaking from my experience.

I would consider either getting a Rubicon or plan on uprgrading the front axle of the Unlimited as the 37's will be a bit much for the Dana 30. The Atlas is a bit of overkill for the intended use you described IMO. The 4:1 TC in the Rubicon (if you go that route) is a really solid unit and I can think of few if any situations where it would limit you compared to the Atlas but if you've got the cash don't let that stop you. I would love to have the spare coin to drop one in. You will also want to plan on buying lockers if you don't go the Rubi route. Of all of the mods you can do, lockers are number 1 in the off-road capability department.

If I were doing all of the mods that you plan on doing, I think I would reverse the order or at least do the AEV highline and the lift at the same time. This is because you will need to have the highline kit in place before you can dial in the lift, tires and wheels that you ultimately want to run. You are on target with the 3.5 lift to run 37's with the highline IF you run a body lift. That is what I have and it works well.

I would also combine the TT with the lift/BL as it is best to do in conjunction with a body lift and this mod does help the off-road capability a lot due to the clearance issue.

You really shouldn't need to do much to the axles to dial in the pinion angles that adjustable control arms can't take care of.

My last suggestion would be to save the engine for last as it is the only thing that you don't really need to use the Jeep to the limits of what the other mods provide. I like diesels too but in reality the diesel is not going to make the rig any more capable. The 4.0 is an awesome power plant for off-road and very dependable. Any fuel economy difference will be dwarfed by the cost of buying and installing the diesel. Also, if you save this mod for last you should be able to do all of the other performance enhancing mods at the same time cost wise.

Oh and don't forget the winch for when the ability of your other mods to overcome your driving ability fail:)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
OKRCON,

Thanks for the input. The entire point of this project is to have a diesel jeep. I am still investigating three possible motors for this conversion. I'm not set in stone on what I am going to do yet....

If I run a manual transmission I need the lower gearing of the 4-speed atlas. My friends and I run a lot of deep snow and love our super low gearing.....starting over 100:1 for sure. With an automatic I would be much more flexible for gearing. The ability to have front wheel drive would be very nice with the longer wheelbase ( at the expense of the front axle ). Being able to lock and un-lock either the front and/or rear is pretty good at helping this. Its amazing the difference having the front locked and rear unlocked does for tight turning ( yes....front locked rear unlocked....try it sometime )

The winch, bumpers, and rockers are an entirely other animal for me. I love to design stuff....so I have a lot of ideas there too.

The front end is going to get an upgrade. I would love to get my hands on one of the high pinion D44 XJ axles from South America! I will probably settle for starting with a D44 Rubicon housing either way. I have some ideas for upgrades that I want to try anyways. I think D44s with 37s isn't a bad combo in the real world....i'm not much of a rock racer.

I'm not going to run any more lift than 3.5" of suspension lift. I'm not a big fan of body lifts. I don't think with proper bump-stops that I am going to need any more lift than that. You are running 3.5" plus 1" of BL? The while AEV TJ is running 37s with around 2.75-3" total.

As far as the build order goes. I want to do the diesel first...thats the point. I would love to have a diesel jeep...building the other stuff can come later for me. This isn't my first rodeo so having all the other stuff first doesn't mean much to me. If jeep would have offered a diesel Rubicon right off the bat I wouldn't have these problems :)

OKRCON

Metcalf said:
OKRCON,

Thanks for the input. The entire point of this project is to have a diesel jeep. I am still investigating three possible motors for this conversion. I'm not set in stone on what I am going to do yet....

If I run a manual transmission I need the lower gearing of the 4-speed atlas. My friends and I run a lot of deep snow and love our super low gearing.....starting over 100:1 for sure. With an automatic I would be much more flexible for gearing. The ability to have front wheel drive would be very nice with the longer wheelbase ( at the expense of the front axle ). Being able to lock and un-lock either the front and/or rear is pretty good at helping this. Its amazing the difference having the front locked and rear unlocked does for tight turning ( yes....front locked rear unlocked....try it sometime )

The winch, bumpers, and rockers are an entirely other animal for me. I love to design stuff....so I have a lot of ideas there too.

The front end is going to get an upgrade. I would love to get my hands on one of the high pinion D44 XJ axles from South America! I will probably settle for starting with a D44 Rubicon housing either way. I have some ideas for upgrades that I want to try anyways. I think D44s with 37s isn't a bad combo in the real world....i'm not much of a rock racer.

I'm not going to run any more lift than 3.5" of suspension lift. I'm not a big fan of body lifts. I don't think with proper bump-stops that I am going to need any more lift than that. You are running 3.5" plus 1" of BL? The while AEV TJ is running 37s with around 2.75-3" total.

As far as the build order goes. I want to do the diesel first...thats the point. I would love to have a diesel jeep...building the other stuff can come later for me. This isn't my first rodeo so having all the other stuff first doesn't mean much to me. If jeep would have offered a diesel Rubicon right off the bat I wouldn't have these problems :)

I'm with you on the diesel. I don't understand why Jeep refuses to make them. Let me know if I can help you out with the highline. If you don't mind loosing some wheel travel and hitting the bumpstops occasionally, the longer bumpstops should work to run 37's with 3" of lift. I only have about 3.5" of space between my bumpstops and the axle so I would be reluctant to add more. I know the guys at AEV were using 3" of lift with theirs and I started out with that too but it wasn't quite enough IMO. I already had the BL to accomodate the TT and gas tank skids so I just got a little bigger suspension lift. Small body lifts really aren't that bad if done right and they help you out in a few areas (I used to be against them too). I also ended up shortining the wheelbase in the rear by 1/4" as there is only so much you can trim behind the wheel before you start running into the support and evap can and there is a lot more room in front of the wheel than behind when the wheel flexes up due to the longer control arms associated with the lift. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

TheGillz

Explorer
I'm not sure how comfortably two can sleep in an <'06 unlimited, but I know for a fact that two can sleep real well in my '08 unlimited. I recomend you change your plan to the new gen.

Jeeptrip2Nov07025.jpg

DSC03696.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
But there is no diesel for the JK in the USA. With all the new bus systems it would be really hard to install another engine. I have heard a rumor that diesel fans will want to watch EJS this year.

I am planning on building a sleeping platform for the rear area that I designed. Its a 'transformer' type setup that is designed to be removable completely. It can function as....

-As a seating position for two people in the rear of the jeep with the added bonus of having a locked storage area behind the seat for my daily gear.

-It will convert quickly ( 30 seconds or less ) to provide a LARGE lockable storage area and rear storage deck system. You won't have to remove anything either...ie no need to remove the rear seat.

-And again it can convert into a rear sleeping deck with the front seats folded forward while retaining the storage area under the sleeping deck.

-I think changing between modes will take less than a minute. The biggest bonus is the you don't have to remove anything to convert mode to mode. This saves a bunch of time. The rear seating area isn't known for being the most comfortable or large, but I should retain about the same comfort level and the use of the factory rear seat belts.

I am still trying to design a modular box system that will fit under the deck area that will allow for clean storage of gear while providing the ability to add and subtract modules for the indented use. I would like to integrate a rack for an ARB style fridge on the floor under the deck also....still thinking on that one. Also I want the entire thing to bolt in, be lightweight, and come back out without a good deal of fuss for the times I need the entire rear area for moving a TV, helping a friend move, picking up big boxes, etc.

The research is going well for the diesel stuff. I have started to revisit the idea of using a liberty CRD diesel and 545 transmission. This is a non-import option with parts available at any jeep dealership. I think that deserves looking into. The cost of wrecked CRDs is also coming down along with entire used donor cars. The CRD ECM has been hacked and is fully flashable now. There are some issues with the CRD in the liberty but nothing that hasn't been solved in the after market. Overall....just learning as much as I can.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Jeepboyd,

The eurospec WJ had a 2.7L I-5 CRD diesel before moving to the 3.0 v-6 CRD that was very similar to the Sprinter diesel. I have looked into it. The biggest problem with using eurospec parts is getting any replacement parts in the USA. Though they have DCX part numbers they have a filter on the dealers in the USA to prevent ordering the 'wrong' parts. Some orders go through....some don't.

The sprinter engine deserves a closer look. But I haven't found anything on how to swap this engine or the transmission into the TJ.

The Euro JKs ( and other international markets ) have an slightly newer version of the 2.8 CRD that was used in the Liberty.....shame they don't offer it here.

A 4-door JK is slightly bigger than what I want, but if they where to offer one with the turbo diesel I don't know if I could stay away....hello EarthRoamer :)

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
Good thread on AEV Conversions site on Diesel Jeeps & hint of Diesel JK

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=219

From Dave @ AEV

First off, this is not meant to discourage you at all. Its a pretty tough swap to do right. We built a separate electronic gateway to convert all the signals the liberty had into Wrangler type signals. I would venture to guess that Dan at Burnsville put all the wiring and computers from a KJ into that silver one. (I will say for the record, that I haven't ever seen that car done, all the pics show it with the engine just sitting in it even though it leads you to believe its done, (no radiator, intercooler, AC, ECM, coolant reservoir and a noticeable lack of wiring etc))

The KJ diesel took me about 4 days to build the harness (Once you know what your doing, it should take only about 2 days) and it took my brother about two days to write the software to make it work. Its very complex with way too many wires. (look at the bundle of wires going across the dash in my Jeep) Like I said above, it can be done without the gateway and electronics, its just going to take some work to get all the KJ computers shoved into the TJ. The Cooling package (Radiator, Intercooler, AC Condnesor) also took a lot of work to get it right. The KJ diesel does not like the upper control arms at all which is why I went with the Rover arms (They were also longer than any long arm, forged, and bent perfectly for the TJ frame)

I would do three things if your really interested.
1. Wait for Moab EJS, there might be an interesting announcement there. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
2. May be worth a call to Jared (used to own AFW in Lewistown MT), I believe he recently completed a KJ swap for a customer. I don't know for sure, thats just what I heard.
3. Go with a older non-electronic Mercedes or Cummins 4BT

Photos here: http://aev-conversions.com/vehicles/show_tj_diesel.php

TheGillz

Explorer
Can I ask a silly question? Why go through so much trouble just to have a deisel engine? You surely would never recoup the cost in gas milage savings. I don't get it.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
TheGillz,

For me a diesel has nothing to do with extra power or saving money. To me it would be a way to go further in the bush on the same tank of gas. At this point I'm all about the distance I can get out of one tank of gas. Currently I have the Safari tank @31.5 gallons.

On Road Petrol
31.5g X 15 mpg = 472miles

Off Road Petrol:
31.5g x 10mpg = 315miles

QUESSING:
ON Road Diesel
31.5g x 24mpg = 756miles:wings:

Off road Diesel
31.5g x 18mpg = 567miles:wings:

Now, have I ever need that type of range??? NO. But, boy would it be a nice peace of mind.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Diesel or not. Its just for fun. I like diesel engines. I have a background in alternative fuels from college. I like the ability to have the CHOICE on what fuel I run while retaining the ability to USE just about anything. A diesel engine has the widest known fuel selection beyond a turbine. There are options like external combustion that provide more options...but I don't want to go there...yet :)

The Diesel engine is a GREAT option for a jeep in my opinion. It provides tons of low end power where the jeep needs it, provides better mileage, fuel flexibility, etc. A mildly modded 2.8 CRD from the liberty will lay down 185hp and 335 ft lbs to the WHEELS through the 545 transmission. Try getting numbers like that to the ground from the 4.slow. My friend just did some road dyno stuff on his '04 and didn't even get 100hp to the ground with his I6, he is going with a V8 now. I have owned a lot of vehicles of the years and been involved in building even more. In my opinion the TJ was gutted in 2003 with the addition of the overdrive automatic and the new emission stuff.

Its all about having a hobby...different strokes for different folks.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Metcalf,

I forgot about fuel choice. That is a good reason too. World Wide Diesel is more abundant and cheaper. I once read that the trip to Uluru in Australia was about 1000miles between station with Petrol, but many places along the way had diesel.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Honestly fuel choice is one of my biggest motivator. As far as I know a diesel ( compression ignition engine ) can be operated on........

-Diesel fuel ( #1, #2, and blends )
-BioDiesel ( straight and generally all blends )
-Kerosene ( lubrication additive recommended )
-heating oil ( basically #2 diesel with stabilizers )
-All military and Nato 'J' series fuels ( some need lubrication additive )
-Waste Vegetable Oil ( filtered, dewatered, and you need a heated fuel system )
-Straight Vegetable Oil off the shelf ( same as WVO )
-Used motor oil ( needs a heated fuel system, recommend blending )
-ATF (needs a heated fuel system, recommend blending )
-Butanol (Emulsifier for alcohols blends, and up to 50/50 with SVO/WVO/BD/D)

-Natural gas ( used as an extender or replacement fuel with heavy mods )
-Propane ( used as an extender )
-Hydrogen ( used as an extender or replacement fuel with heavy mods )
-Methane ( basically natural gas, see above )

-Fischer-Tropsch fuels ( synthetic diesel from coal or any biomass )
-Algae based lipid oil fuels ( basically BioDiesel or SVO )

Thats just off the top of my head...I know I am forgetting some.

Options....just give me options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__