IBS vs T-Max Dual Battery Systems

svana

Observer
I’m working on putting a dual battery system together in my vehicle and am pretty sold on the IBS system. However, the T-Max system looks practically identical to the IBS and is $250 cheaper. Does anybody have any experience with both to be able to discern between the two? I contacted T-Max and asked about whether or not the solenoid was capable of linking when the primary battery is dead, and got a similar answer as with IBS regarding the fact that if it’s below 7W or so that the solenoid won’t be able to link. This also makes me think that the units may be fairly similar. I’d love to get the opinion of those more knowledgeable than I as I’m planning on picking one up in the next few days/weeks.

AndrewP

Explorer
What's the advantage over a simple $100 BlueSea ACR?

Agree. I would recommend you avoid pre-packaged dual battery systems. You can put one together from Blue Sea components, that is much less money, is extremely reliable, and has a lifetime warranty. With a BS 7610 alone, for $75 and some cable, you can have a great system that installs in a couple of hours.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Assuming you meant 7V on the link, you probably shouldn't let the battery get that dead. Below 10v is usually a point where even AGMs won't recover to their earlier potential.

As to the advantage over a standard solenoid, the National Luna setup I use has a timer that allows for the primary to charge after starting before linking the secondary so as to not crush the alternator. The other is that is lets me control the link to force an override when winching. Some systems might see the voltage draw down when pulling high amps as a dead battery and won't allow them to link when you need it the most. Many alternators can't keep up to the amperage draw when performing extended winch operations.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven