If you couldn't own an FJ?

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Mainly looking to see what vehicles with the same task/duties in mind would you have or want to get if you weren't able to drive an FJ (hypothetically they weren't in the states etc.)
I'd especially like opinions from the 60/62 owners.
Would you go domestic like a GM product? Full size? Midsize? Would you stay with toyota like a 4runner even though they are IFS and smaller? What about a grand cherokee/cherokee? a lot of possibilities out there, but none the same as a LC

I posted a similar thread in the domestic section, i'm debating between an M1009 and an FJ60, so hopefully this will help with my reasoning lol

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Frankly, there are many vehicles out there vastly superior to the FJCruiser. I know i will get hated for this, but I drove my brothers moderately modded FJC quite a bit, and really didn't care for it all that much. The lack of visibility and totally awkward door set up pretty much kills it for me.
I am a former 40, 60, Taco and Tundra owner, and current 80 owner. We looked at all Toyota had to offer and ended up buying a Rubicon instead. Kinda hurts a bit, but it is the best bang for buck for our needs.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
I wasn't necessarily meaning the new cruiser, but the original FJs...such as your 80. If you couldn't have the 80 what would you replace it with? or is that what you mean...that you prefer the rubicon to the 80?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Sorry, thought you meant new rigs. If I couldn't have the 80, or any FJ/HZJ etc Landcruiser I would probably try to find an "affordable" G-wagon. Failing that, I would head for a 94-98.5 Dodge Cummins truck. Apples and oranges, but there it is. I don't prefer the Rubicon to the 80, and if the 80 had less than 400,000 kms on it we probably wouldn't have bought the Jeep. And to you people who love your FJCs, sorry if I offend, but it is just my opinion...

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
Life would hardly be worth living without a Land Cruiser. :sombrero:
If they were all sucked up in the rapture or something, I guess I would look for a D90 - with Toyota running gear. Certainly nothing in the domestic U.S. market would interest me in the slightest. Thank goodness this all hypothetical.

gahi

Adventurer
4dr Tacoma? I've never owned one or been around them, but they seem like a pretty versatile rig, and can be made very off road capable.

Viggen

Just here...
Love 60s but not 62s, 80s or 40s. Definitely not an FJC fan. If I wanted to be in the silent service, I wouldve joined the Navy. I dont like the way everything in the 80 feels and looks inflated. The body went from straight lines to curves. The dash went from straight to curves. Seats, etc... same thing. It looks like they pumped air into everything. I know a LOT of people like the 80s but Im not a fan. Not a fan of the 40s because of the wheelbase and lack of room for stuff. Dont like 62s because of the dash, transfer case and most importantly, the front ends square headlamp set up. If I couldnt have a 60, I would build a low, SAS'd with coilovers 2nd gen 4 Runner. Second choice would be an 88 to 93/94 RRC. Build it with a TDI, gut the front and rear axles and replace with Toyota 3rd members and axles and have fun. Although I dont really like SWB trucks, I would heartily make an exception for a 66-76 classic Bronco. D44 front with 9" rear with something a little less thirsty than a 302 under the hood would make me immensely happy. I might even go over to the darkside and tow a trailer...

Nothing new really does it for me.

phsycle

Adventurer
My Cruiser is the wife's main vehicle, so if I couldn't have that, I'd get a 120-platform 4Runner. With the same 4.7L V8. But if it were my primary rig, I'd get a 08+ 4Dr Tacoma TRD OR. Had a 2000 Tacoma 4dr that I loved. I do miss the utility of a truck.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
nissan patrol!!

Actually, I already can't have the Patrol I want which is why I drive a Cruiser.

I wouldn't own an FJ. If I was looking for a new vehicle of that size and application I'd buy an HDJ79 pieced together by Proffitt's Cruisers.

Charlie

RR1

Explorer
It would be an old domestic like a Suburban, old Panel truck, Wagoneer, Travelall, etc...an old domestic crew cab would work too.

Of course they would "have" to be customized with modern running gear. 3 link/4 link coil over suspension...with an EFI alloy block crate motor (or perhaps a diesel) mated to NV4500 tranny, Atlas II transfer case, and Dana's 44/60 or 60/70 combo...a built long travel Ford TTB 50 could work as well...

Nothing new is really that awe-inspiring...I can't stand the new FJ Cruisers. I cry a little when I see one, especially knowing that TLC built prototypes for Toyota of what "could of been"

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/toyota/0711_4wd_toyota_fj_cruiser_prototype/viewall.html

1973_Jeep_Wagoneer_4x4_360_V8_Survivor_Front_1.jpg

4533155371_bcabfc8f11_o.jpeg

brothers-show.jpg

1978-ford-f-250-pickup-fenders-bedsides.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater