If you couldn't own an FJ?

wjb4000

Adventurer
Sourdough, that thing is awesome! What year is that? Could you give me more specs on that thing? There's one close to me for a reasonable price and was thinking of rebuilding into a trail vehicle, but make it nice looking like yours. Got any more pics?

DenCo40

Adventurer
If there wasn't a Cruiser to be had, I would buy a Tundra (oh wait I have one) Maybe a Mercedes Gwagon would do the trick for me.

General Automag

Adventurer
Mainly looking to see what vehicles with the same task/duties in mind would you have or want to get if you weren't able to drive an FJ (hypothetically they weren't in the states etc.)
I'd especially like opinions from the 60/62 owners.
Would you go domestic like a GM product? Full size? Midsize? Would you stay with toyota like a 4runner even though they are IFS and smaller? What about a grand cherokee/cherokee? a lot of possibilities out there, but none the same as a LC

I posted a similar thread in the domestic section, i'm debating between an M1009 and an FJ60, so hopefully this will help with my reasoning lol

Several years ago we bought an FJ40. 'Love it, but it's not a modern vehicle in terms of electronic ignition, power seats, windows, etc. and overdrive gearing. Having said that, I prefer it vastly over the Jeep Wranglers and FJ Cruisers, although those are good vehicles. We also have a full-size Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 with the extended cab on a short bed with the Z-71 suspension and tow package. This truck is one of the nicest running and riding vehicles I have ever owned, so I ask myself all of the time, Why do I need an FJ40?" The 5.3L V-8 is problem-free, and it tows and hauls well getting 15-18 miles per gallon. The answer isn't about need, it's simply desire.

The FJ40 is smaller, and can maneuver on smaller trails, and since it's older, it doesn't bother me if it gets scratched while driving it off road. The biggest attraction is that it's "old school" and it's different and fun to drive. With the 3 speed and 4.10/4.11.1? gearing, you don't have to worry about getting a speeding ticket. So really, our truck meets all of our needs much better than the FJ40 or better than a Jeep Wrangler or FJ Cruiser will do.

If I had to replace the FJ40, I would look at a 100 series Land Cruiser simply because it has the V-8 which will make it useful for towing. You can get a good 3" lift and tires on these which will take you most places you realistically can go. Plus, there are a lot of accessories for it. Let us know what you decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater