If you were to start all over with a brand new truck, which would you choose?

OCD Overland

Explorer
It runs a very similar line with the raptor great in concept and so much left to be desired.

In what way? I can't comment on your PW criticism but the selling points of the Raptor are its engine and suspension, both of which from what I understand live up to the hype.

OR2BAJA

Observer
I think Ford and the SVT team had the opportunity to build a much better desert truck. I am sorry but a 2.0 internally bypassed shock is better suited for a polaris rzr. The truck should have come with a 2.5 coil over and 3.0 bypass in the rear with at minimum front hydro bumps. The fact that Ford would void warranty due to skid plate damage is crazy and the frame bending issues were pretty bad requiring hydro bumps for the rear. I am looking forward at possibly getting a 2017 Raptor, but I will going into knowing it will require 10-15k to make it do what my Dodge does now. The dodge required as much investment but it started with a much much stronger platform. I don't crawl around I build my vehicles to sustain speed. I run 3.5 diameter king shock front and rear, the rear being 3 tube bypass. I look a multitude of vehicles in a similar fashion. GM's attempt at the hummer... a square body tahoe? C'mon they could have developed some in small number charging the premium but offering the parts to match. The power wagon is another missed chance. High clearance axles and steering or like Dana pro rocks 60's. Increased approach and departure angles with better heavy duty bumpers. RCV axles and beefed up front control arms not sheet metal and that awful track bar. The Dodge platform from '03 up until the '13 2500 is as stout as they come in the full size department and with a relatively small investment you can have a very strong long lasting platform. Dodge lost me as a customer when they went to the radius arm and coil rear. The entire front suspension looks like an after thought.

OCD Overland

Explorer
I can see that. But it looks like Ford has been paying attention - the new Raptors will come with 3.0's all around, and they've fully boxed the frame now and also added more skids. (BTW, the older Raptor had 2.5 shocks, front and rear, not 2.0)

I think their warranty problem was with idiots going out to jump the truck, and you can't really blame them for that. There's abuse and then there's abuse.

My only gripe from what I've been able to see is that they're putting the intercooler right where you'd want to put a winch.

There are better vehicles for doing many things - climbing, hauling, towing, tight trails, etc - but if your main need is to get from point A to point B without getting beat to death or tearing up your vehicle, then I think a Raptor has to be on your short list.

Last edited:

OR2BAJA

Observer
Agreed. It is the best out of the box desert truck. I have been checking out the reviews of the '17 Toyota TRD Pro. It looks like they are targeting desert dwellers in a decent platform with better not perfect shocks. There is not a perfect rig but there are some really great choices and with the aftermarket supporting them, it only makes them better.

dnorrell

Adventurer
Very jealous of your purchase. I do think I still made the right call, but I can't help but think what a great ride a PW Tradesman would've been. I've seen them right at $40k or so (+/- $1k), which I think is a great price.

Like you, if I wasn't toting a family, I'd have been all over the Tacoma. We came very close to going the F-150 route, and I was very drawn to the 2.7 with the extended range tank. I had visions of passing fuel stations barking out big, hearty guffaws at all the poor saps that had to gas up. Now I'll be stopping at every crusty station I can find. I hope I made the right call, but I am super excited. I've never ordered a vehicle before and I'm super stoked to be getting the work grade vinyl seats and vinyl floor along with some other things I wasn't willing to settle on. I just have to wait...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The Raptor isn't just a great desert truck, it's great on the back country roads in my area as well. Some of our dirt roads are like the Baja 1000. Ignore the frame bending nonsense, that was momo drivers exceeding the ability of the truck by a very large margin. If you jump my Honda CRF450, 100 feet, then case the landing and break every bone in your back and bend the bikes frame, you really can't blame the bike for that. Oh, and I would have Ebay'd the Fox shocks when they only had dealer miles on them. I won't run Fox on anything, not even a mountain bike.

If I was going to start with a new truck, I'd get a Ford Superduty in 2017 or 2018. Finally the new aluminum bodies are out. To have a truck that won't rust........priceless. And our Fleet of Fords have been pretty solid reliability wise.

F350 CC, LB, 4x4, XLT, White, Manual hubs and xfer case, 6.2L gas engine, 4.30 axle.

I just don't need the diesel at all. I rarely tow more than 10,000 pounds and hardly tow at all. My truck only get's out on weekends. I have a company F350 for work. I'd maybe add the Ford E locker, or a Detroit locker to the rear diff, undecided. Airprings with Daystar cups. Carli 2" system.

The Powerwagon is nice and all, but I don't need all of that. And I'm in the salt belt where old Dodges just don't exist. Disco sway bars and both lockers? Haha, I'm pulling a Jetski across a beach, or taking my DRZ400s to the offroad trail head, not hardcore wheelin' a big truck. That's what rustbucket '85 Chevys are for.

Dalko43

Explorer
The Raptor isn't just a great desert truck, it's great on the back country roads in my area as well. Some of our dirt roads are like the Baja 1000. Ignore the frame bending nonsense, that was momo drivers exceeding the ability of the truck by a very large margin. If you jump my Honda CRF450, 100 feet, then case the landing and break every bone in your back and bend the bikes frame, you really can't blame the bike for that. Oh, and I would have Ebay'd the Fox shocks when they only had dealer miles on them. I won't run Fox on anything, not even a mountain bike.

If I was going to start with a new truck, I'd get a Ford Superduty in 2017 or 2018. Finally the new aluminum bodies are out. To have a truck that won't rust........priceless. And our Fleet of Fords have been pretty solid reliability wise.

F350 CC, LB, 4x4, XLT, White, Manual hubs and xfer case, 6.2L gas engine, 4.30 axle.

I just don't need the diesel at all. I rarely tow more than 10,000 pounds and hardly tow at all. My truck only get's out on weekends. I have a company F350 for work. I'd maybe add the Ford E locker, or a Detroit locker to the rear diff, undecided. Airprings with Daystar cups. Carli 2" system.

The Powerwagon is nice and all, but I don't need all of that. And I'm in the salt belt where old Dodges just don't exist. Disco sway bars and both lockers? Haha, I'm pulling a Jetski across a beach, or taking my DRZ400s to the offroad trail head, not hardcore wheelin' a big truck. That's what rustbucket '85 Chevys are for.

FWIW, I live in a rust-prone region....everything rusts out eventually, not just "old Dodges."

Clutch

<---Pass
p nut, which engine do you have in your F150...and what is the mpg?

I know I asked before, but I can't **********' remember. :elkgrin:

RedF

Adventurer

Medium truck manufacturers have been using aluminum bodies for ages. They still rot out if not taken care of. I sure hope Ford has done their homework, or these new generation trucks will be a nightmare!

p nut

butter
p nut, which engine do you have in your F150...and what is the mpg?

I know I asked before, but I can't **********' remember. :elkgrin:

Since I don't tow much, I decided to go with the 2.7L. I liked the start/stop (although I may pay for this with premature wear on the starter). MPG I was getting with stock tires was 24MPG highway (~70MPH). With 33" tires (BFG KO2), I am at 21-22MPG highway, and 19MPG overall. I do about 50/50 city/highway.
_
Like I've said before, I probably would have been just as content with a n/a 3.5 V6. But it is nice to be able to accelerate (rather effortlessly) up mountain passes. :D

Medium truck manufacturers have been using aluminum bodies for ages. They still rot out if not taken care of. I sure hope Ford has done their homework, or these new generation trucks will be a nightmare!

Curious which trucks have had aluminum bodies?

Clutch

<---Pass
Since I don't tow much, I decided to go with the 2.7L. I liked the start/stop (although I may pay for this with premature wear on the starter). MPG I was getting with stock tires was 24MPG highway (~70MPH). With 33" tires (BFG KO2), I am at 21-22MPG highway, and 19MPG overall. I do about 50/50 city/highway.
_
Like I've said before, I probably would have been just as content with a n/a 3.5 V6. But it is nice to be able to accelerate (rather effortlessly) up mountain passes. :D

Thanks. That is pretty dang good for a fullsize truck

Hard not to look at those since you can get a XL/XLT for around $30K. Cheaper than a V6 Tacoma...and you get more truck...

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...Source=GN_REFINEMENT&moveTo=listing-654020107

p nut

butter
Thanks. That is pretty dang good for a fullsize truck

Hard not to look at those since you can get a XL/XLT for around $30K. Cheaper than a V6 Tacoma...and you get more truck...

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...Source=GN_REFINEMENT&moveTo=listing-654020107

Yeah, you can get into them pretty cheap. I got the Super Crew because of kids, but if it were just me and the wife (or solo), I wouldn't mind a single cab (or super cab), with just bare-bones optioned XL.

bb50e3a9e33d08b6d5d6ffaa79c.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, you can get into them pretty cheap. I got the Super Crew because of kids, but if it were just me and the wife (or solo), I wouldn't mind a single cab (or super cab), with just bare-bones optioned XL.

bb50e3a9e33d08b6d5d6ffaa79c.jpg

as much as I like RC's....sure do like the Super Cab with that flat floor...be perfect for tossing our MX gear bags in.

1939e2b68704cc8227facccd1d9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77