If you were to start all over with a brand new truck, which would you choose?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Did the OP use the adjective "reliable" when referring to a Chrysler product?

lol, yes. As well as speaking of buying a brand new truck at today's prices AND putting a bunch of costly mods on it. Three strikes.

There's only about 5-10 years in a man's life when he can 'afford' such foolishness. Enjoy it while you can, OP.

darkjedi351

Observer
I would get a 2017 raptor if I hadn't just rebuilt my f250. The raptor already has a lot of great off-road features in stock form

I was waiting for the new Tacoma to be released but was pretty set on getting one and sell my 2000 ford v10 f250.
I was tired of not being able to park close to anywhere and the 11.9 mpg was killing me. I rode around in a 08 taco in oct. during deer season in Utah and I hated it. it was just too small and compact inside, rode rough and had trouble on some of the rough terrain.
so I decided to upgrade what I already had. plus it's paid for.

topher800

A one ton truck sucks as a daily driver. Make sure you are going to use it before you go buy one!

My wife always asks how my new truck drives and my answer is always........."like a moving van"

Are you lowering the rear tire pressure to 45 psi (1) when daily driving? My 2011 RAM says 45 psi rear unloaded, 70 loaded. E load range for me.

1) or whatever is appropriate for your tires load range

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Unimog or M1087.

Damn, I forgot about the Unimogs. A U5023 with overdrive (for highway speeds) would be great for carrying toys. Please let me have just one.

mm_uhe_1_1280x1024.jpg

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I didn't know we were to decide on one together. If so, just to be contrary, I'm voting for the VW Transporter 4Motion with a diesel plant. Who needs those polluting American trucks?

Oh, wait.

Bojak

Adventurer
Old gm square body, colt 1911. Now on to climate change and world peace.

Kidding, it's interesting to hear the opinions and process for how each was derived. A surprising component often overlooked in many threads but mentioned in this one is geography. East of Mississippi is drastically different than out west.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bojak

Adventurer
If I lived in the west and raptor offers lots of off the shelf fun. Not really anywhere to stretch out a raptors legs here in southeast. Not many at least.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My 2014 Ram has been fantastic. I bought 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and think it is a good investment given the electronics. I also avoided buying the extra electronics that come with the higher trim levels. My truck is very basic, but has all the modern conveniences deemed "necessary" like Bluetooth. It's illegal to use a handheld cell where I live.

If I were buying a brand new truck (USA big three) for global travel, it would be a 3500 regular cab longbed Tradesman with the G56 and a Cummins. I would delete it and install Thuren suspension, a Southbend clutch and some 37s. An AEV front bumper and Warn 16.5 winch with some PIAA lighting and call it done. On the back would be a Hallmark Ute or K2 hybrid.

Clutch

<---Pass
Outside Van 4X4 Sprinter 170...need more of a gear hauler than an off-roader.

Last edited:

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
If I was building a camping/touring rig, ideal would be a PW (6.4) with AEV goodies and a 4WC in the bed. This picture stolen from another ExPo thread is pretty close to my ideal:

AEV Ram & 4WC.jpg

Caveats are to keep my jeep and have another daily driver.

STREGA

Explorer
After seeing that PW with the 4wheel pop up at Expo I had found my dream truck but it was not really enough truck for my needs. I'am a workkamper and live full time in a 5th wheel RV and needed a truck capable of towing 15K.

So I ended up buying a 2015 Ram regcab longbed 4X4 dually with CTD and the Aisin Tranny. With the 4.10 gears it's rated to tow 29,500 lbs. and has a payload of 6,200 lbs. It hardly knew it was towing my 5th wheel, being able to go uphill at 75 mph (it was able to accelerate with ease from 75) was nice after driving gasser's that struggled to do 55. The Aisin/CTD combo is hard to beat if your towing serious weight and it might have more capability than I needed but I would rather have to much truck than not enough. I have the option now of going to a bigger 5th wheel which would be nice.

After dealing with the low payload of my FJ Cruiser which took a lot of creativity and compromise to stay close to the GVWR it's great to have 6200 lbs of payload to play with, almost feels like I have payload to waste after the FJC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77

Members online