If you were to start all over with a brand new truck, which would you choose?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
After seeing that PW with the 4wheel pop up at Expo I had found my dream truck but it was not really enough truck for my needs. I'am a workkamper and live full time in a 5th wheel RV and needed a truck capable of towing 15K.

So I ended up buying a 2015 Ram regcab longbed 4X4 dually with CTD and the Aisin Tranny. With the 4.10 gears it's rated to tow 29,500 lbs. and has a payload of 6,200 lbs. It hardly knew it was towing my 5th wheel, being able to go uphill at 75 mph (it was able to accelerate with ease from 75) was nice after driving gasser's that struggled to do 55. The Aisin/CTD combo is hard to beat if your towing serious weight and it might have more capability than I needed but I would rather have to much truck than not enough. I have the option now of going to a bigger 5th wheel which would be nice.

After dealing with the low payload of my FJ Cruiser which took a lot of creativity and compromise to stay close to the GVWR it's great to have 6200 lbs of payload to play with, almost feels like I have payload to waste after the FJC.

That's a great towing platform and for safely carrying a hardsided cabover. Enjoy.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My 2014 Ram has been fantastic. I bought 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and think it is a good investment given the electronics. I also avoided buying the extra electronics that come with the higher trim levels. My truck is very basic, but has all the modern conveniences deemed "necessary" like Bluetooth. It's illegal to use a handheld cell where I live.

If I were buying a brand new truck (USA big three) for global travel, it would be a 3500 regular cab longbed Tradesman with the G56 and a Cummins. I would delete it and install Thuren suspension, a Southbend clutch and some 37s. An AEV front bumper and Warn 16.5 winch with some PIAA lighting and call it done. On the back would be a Hallmark Ute or K2 hybrid.

You're killing me. That's what I'm gonna get with my Powerball winnings. I'm dreamin'.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
Yeah I'm digging the AEV PW on 40's LOL I think it's proportions are perfect. Get a rack, RTT, or a modified military trailer with our base camp all on it....mmm and a few weeks in MOAB.

Enough with the toys boys this is overland, not trail runs.
no lift needed for big rubber, spec a customer box or flatbed and pop up camper on back. 200k miles from the stock engine, choice of gears, axles, suspension and trans from factory....come on powerball..I only need a couple mil of the 1.3 billion jackpot to make this happen

International Workstar

workstar.JPG

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Stock-New PW. Modified-Carli CTD Ram. The new Titan Warrior concept looks amazing though. A raptor with a CTD. I would probably go with that if they ever made it.

STREGA

Explorer
That's a great towing platform and for safely carrying a hardsided cabover. Enjoy.

image.jpg

Here's a pic of my future adventure truck.

My plans for this truck is to haul a hardside TC. I'am leaning towards a Baja style TC something like the new Northstar. Hopefully they will come out with a longed version of it, if not will look at doing a custom build.

p nut

butter
Here's a pic of my future adventure truck.

My plans for this truck is to haul a hardside TC. I'am leaning towards a Baja style TC something like the new Northstar. Hopefully they will come out with a longed version of it, if not will look at doing a custom build.

Man, I love the look of them dually's. That's a nice truck.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
I did buy a new truck last month. I wanted a crew cab 4x4 truck to carry a FWC. I was leaning towards a Taco the more reading and talking I came to the conclusion that small trucks and half tons reall aren't safely up to the task. Gas or diesel , I drive about 10K miles a year I'm not going to live long enough to justify a diesel. I drove lots of trucks and liked Ram and liked power wagons until I looked at the payload and the fact that Dodge doesn't recommend campers on them the facts are payload wise Powerwagon 1510 lbs, diesel 2389 lbs and 6.4 Hemi 3300 lbs. there is a 6.4 Hemi in my drive way waiting for a FWC. It will really do the job not sorta do the job with add ons and inadequate brakes. Mike

Ram fanboy here. My '96 has over 280k on the original 5.9 gasser and transmission so I'm sold on Dodge reliability. My buddy drives a 5.7 Hemi PW, one of the last made before the switch to the 6.4. Awesome truck but for my purposes I'd look for a 3500 regular cab long bed Hemi. FWC out back or even a Callen style shell.

My trips don't require anything other than perhaps a Tru-Trac out back with an open front...that's what winches are for if really needed. I like simple and don't go searching for crawling scenarios. YMMV. I really appreciate the different views and experiences I've read here; adds great perspective on style and locale.

Not a full size but the new Chevy Colorado with small diesel...complete opposite of what I just described but interesting nonetheless. :sombrero:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ram fanboy here. My '96 has over 280k on the original 5.9 gasser and transmission so I'm sold on Dodge reliability. My buddy drives a 5.7 Hemi PW, one of the last made before the switch to the 6.4. Awesome truck but for my purposes I'd look for a 3500 regular cab long bed Hemi. FWC out back or even a Callen style shell.

My trips don't require anything other than perhaps a Tru-Trac out back with an open front...that's what winches are for if really needed. I like simple and don't go searching for crawling scenarios. YMMV. I really appreciate the different views and experiences I've read here; adds great perspective on style and locale.

Not a full size but the new Chevy Colorado with small diesel...complete opposite of what I just described but interesting nonetheless. :sombrero:

No idea where my post went. LOL.

Some of my best trips have been in the minimalist mode. The GMC little diesel fwc flat bed idea just seems ideal to me. I find my self taking the smallest vehicle I can get away with these days. If a solo trip to meet up with some guys and no dirt road travel needed? I'd steel grandpas SLK350 pack my tent and basic and be on the road in 5 minutes. Ha If typical logging road stuff were in the plan I'd pack more comfort gear in the Subaru and split town. The canyon flat bed idea just seems like luxury yet still in a pretty small package.

mobob

I spent 4 days in the Rockies last year with my 2014 Raptor, a Brand new 2015 PW and 2014 Jeep 4 door Sport, all stock except for the winch added to my Raptor. All were very close to their Max weight when we started the trip. The PW with the new rear suspension and 6.4 was really impressive and a goat when it came to tough climbs and the really rough rocky areas. The payload was also better than my Raptor and the ride acceptable for a 3/4 ton and better than any other truck in the 3/4 ton range. Overall it was a better truck for overlanding in the mountains with a 4 day load in the bed and it could really take a beating with less worry about breaking things up front.

That being said, the Raptor was superior on the forest roads, whoops, or anywhere it wasn't exceptionally rough. The ride and handling is better overall but it's a trade off for the payload capacity. The downside of the raptor was its width on tight trails. but it went everywhere the PW did just not quite as fast in the really rough and tight sections of trail.

The jeep was easier on the tight trails and very nimble allowing better lines, but couldn't keep up with either truck when it opened up or got really rough. It was also the only vehicle to get stuck, but only because of a lack of lockers. The Jeep guys whined about the 900 mile drive each way and said they are riding in one of our trucks and towing the jeep next year, which says something about the jeep comfort and on road behavior.

The 6.4 of the PW wasn't as fast as the 6.2 Raptor, but close, and the gas mileage was close between the two at around 12mpg for the trip. The jeep killed us at about 15 mpg but range was less due to tank size.

This year we are also bringing a 4Runner to add to the comparison, we just need to determine where we are headed.

My $.02 from our past experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77

Members online