If you were to start all over with a brand new truck, which would you choose?

bdp1978

Adventurer
Chrysler should kill the ram 1500 and just offer a JK truck. Reg cab and 4 door. 6 foot bed.

Make the Dana 44 front standard, with available rubicon lockers, and the 1500 engine/transmission options. They wouldn't be able to keep up with demand.

Well, they ARE building a Jeep Truck. We'll see it next year.

Why in the world would they kill the Ram though? They are selling a ton of them.

bdp1978

Adventurer
Except its been confirmed this time from the CEO himself. They will be manufactured in Toledo based on the new Wrangler platform.

I get what you are saying about competing, but the new Jeep Pickup wont be like the old J trucks. It will be the wrangler with a bed, so payload, towing etc wont be anywhere near what the 1500's are.

Clutch

<---Pass
Chrysler should kill the ram 1500 and just offer a JK truck. Reg cab and 4 door. 6 foot bed.

Make the Dana 44 front standard, with available rubicon lockers, and the 1500 engine/transmission options. They wouldn't be able to keep up with demand.

Well, they ARE building a Jeep Truck. We'll see it next year.

Why in the world would they kill the Ram though? They are selling a ton of them.

The Ram 1500 is probably the best deal money-wise out there right now. You can get a 2WD WT for under $20K in my area. 4WD WT's are under $30K.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I understand that it will be essentially functionally useless. My argument is that the Jeep truck should replace the ram. But keep the good parts of the truck like being able to choose engines and transmission options. Gear ratio. Etc.

Kevin108

Explorer
Probably a 4-door 3/4-ton Chevy or Ford. Too long to make a great trail rig, but great for everything else. In short, a fullsize truck will work everywhere I want to go. I've done it before.

206358_101100259900829_51853_n.jpg

p nut

butter
The Ram 1500 is probably the best deal money-wise out there right now. You can get a 2WD WT for under $20K in my area. 4WD WT's are under $30K.

Yup, you can get a great deal on a Ram. Similar "good" deals on other 1/2 tons as well, but Ram was best priced when I was shopping. Came in a close second in the end, but I won't lie: I do sometimes second guess my final choice when I see one of them passing by. :)
_
Chrysler would be stupid to replace the Ram with a Wrangler truck. Doesn't make ANY sense to replace a full size with a mid. Who would cross shop those two vehicles? I'm trying to imagine the "inventory-clearing demand" it would have compared to a regular work truck that appeals both to businesses and regular Joe's alike. I'd imagine it would sell maybe 10% of current Ram's annual sales, at best. Jeeps will always be a niche product that appeals to a certain segment of people. People will gawk and drool, but not many will plunk down $40k for one. And a 10 hour road trip in a Wrangler? No thanks.

bdp1978

Adventurer
I'm trying to imagine the "inventory-clearing demand" it would have compared to a regular work truck that appeals both to businesses and regular Joe's alike. I'd imagine it would sell maybe 10% of current Ram's annual sales, at best. Jeeps will always be a niche product that appeals to a certain segment of people. People will gawk and drool, but not many will plunk down $40k for one. And a 10 hour road trip in a Wrangler? No thanks.

Well, they did sell over 250,000 Wranglers last year....so theres a pretty significant demand for them....even at $40k and above. I think the Jeep pickup is going to sell like crazy.

TwinStick

Explorer
Another vote for the Power Wagon here. We have a 2008 QCab w/G-56 6-speed manual. LOVE IT !!! Yes, it gets horrible mpg, in fact, I think my particular truck gets the worst 8-10, whether empty or loaded about the same, except on hills, where i saw 2 mpg pulling a long 20 minute hill at 6% grade, 10,500 lb camper, in 3rd gear @ 5500 rpms. The Power Wagon is the best factory equipped off-road capable truck made today-----period. All I did was add a set of Hellwig Load Pro 35's on the rear leafs. $380 to my door. That turned it into a towing machine. We have since downsized the camper to an 18' Starcraft AR One Extreme @ 3500 lbs. Truck don't even know it's there. Assess your needs, wants & budget wisely. It is a unique vehicle & not for everyone. And, like any big truck, when it needs fix'n, it is expensive. Gas is at the lowest price since i was a kid. AWESOME, for us PW owners !!! LOL

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
if I were to ever buy brand new, it would certainly be something to the tune of a crew cab 2-ton 4x4 cab/chassis :ylsmoke:

canadian-hauler-chassis-pickup-1.jpg

p nut

butter
Well, they did sell over 250,000 Wranglers last year....so theres a pretty significant demand for them....even at $40k and above. I think the Jeep pickup is going to sell like crazy.
_
Don't know. Why was the Scrambler killed off? What percentage of Wrangler buyers are looking for more cargo capacity at the cost of performance? Will be interesting to see what happens.
_
Either way, nixing the 1500 for a Wrangler truck is absurd.
_
From Wiki:
Jeep CJ-8 (Scrambler)
The Jeep CJ-8 was a long wheel-base version of the CJ-7, introduced in 1981 and manufactured through 1986. It featured a 103 in (2,616 mm) wheelbase and a removable half-cab, creating a small pick-up style box instead of utilizing a separate pickup bed. CJ-8s used the traditional transfer case with manual front-locking hubs to engage the four-wheel drive. Most had either a four or five speed manual transmission, but a three speed automatic transmission was an option.

The term "Scrambler" comes from an appearance package that many CJ-8's were equipped with, which included tape graphics and special wheels. Former President Ronald Reagan owned a CJ-8 and used it on his California Ranch.[44]

A full length steel hardtop CJ-8 was made for the Alaskan Postal Service, using right hand drive and automatic transmissions. Instead of the rear tailgate, the steel hardtop utilized a hinged barn door opening to the back. There were only 230 produced and sold in the U.S. It was also widely sold in Venezuela and Australia as the CJ8 Overlander, with small differences including full length rear windows on the Overlander.[45] Steel hardtops used on these postal Scramblers and Overlanders were known as "World Cab" tops.[46]

Production[edit]

Year

Production[47]

1981 8,355
1982 7,759
1983 5,405
1984 4,130
1985 2,015
1986 128

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I think the Jeep pickup is going to sell like crazy.
Maybe, but that does not mean it's a legitimate substitute for a real truck. Ford sells a ton of Raptors, but they are not real useful as a truck, except for pretty light use. Gonna be a lot of poseurs buying Jeep pickups.

bdp1978

Adventurer
Maybe, but that does not mean it's a legitimate substitute for a real truck. Ford sells a ton of Raptors, but they are not real useful as a truck, except for pretty light use. Gonna be a lot of poseurs buying Jeep pickups.

Exactly what I said a couple posts ago. I'm not the one arguing to kill off the Ram. Haha, I own one.

Stroked 550

Adventurer
After buying a new truck in 2013 I dont think I would ever do it again lol. its nice to have all the fancy features but everything is too complicated. I like the simpler engines with minimal sensors and electronics

I would buy a 2000 Ford F350 crew cab long bed 4x4 with a ZF6 speed with a 2007 Cummins 5.9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77