iKamper step pads

concretejungle

Adventurer
does anyone have experience with these? I saw a set on a YouTube channel and so when I searched for them they were out of stock. Randomly checked today and it says they are in stock, so I ordered a set. The ladders for RTT's are just so tuff on the feet.

ABBB

does anyone have experience with these? I saw a set on a YouTube channel and so when I searched for them they were out of stock. Randomly checked today and it says they are in stock, so I ordered a set. The ladders for RTT's are just so tuff on the feet.

Hadn’t seen those but what a great concept. I too hate the bare steps on my Tuff Stuff Alpha. I’ve hated the steps on every RTT I’ve owned.

I just yesterday put a set of the Roam step rubber pads on. They fit all but one step on my Tuff Stuff (the one fits, but the brackets are interfered with). Used them last night here in Jedidiah Smith SP in NorCal and I left the tent barefoot twice overnight and this morning to water the trees and they do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

concretejungle

Adventurer
I will let you know if this was a waste of money! Hopefully I'll get this before I leave.

Preparing for a trip this coming weekend and I was putting the bedding in my RTT with bare feet. That ladder is brutal! I've had three RTT's and all the ladders have been bad.

JackW

Explorer
The original steel ladder on my old Maggiolina had 14mm square steel rungs - you couldn't have designed a more painful ladder without putting spikes on the treads. I bought one of the telescoping aluminum ladders and it was much better.

toy_tek

Adventurer
Looks like those step parts are gonna throw a ton of sand/dirt into your tent when you stow it. Maybe not tho. I've been thinking about riveting some rubber to the step tops.

ABBB

Looks like those step parts are gonna throw a ton of sand/dirt into your tent when you stow it. Maybe not tho. I've been thinking about riveting some rubber to the step tops.

If you river rubber just make sure it doesn’t interfere with your ladder collapsing as far as it needs to for the tent to bundle back up.

Re: the Roam steps. Roam’s ladders must have more space to spare because the 6-7” these added to my closed ladder made it so I couldn’t close up my TuffStuff Alpha. For now I’ll just pop them on and off, simple enough a solution. Would be nice to find a permanent fix or a ladder that comes stock with rubber padding.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I don't store my ladder in the tent anymore. Even with the bag I didn't want to take a chance of tossing a wet and muddy ladder into my sleeping area.

I "think" one of the newer alucab ladders has the steps tilted for a more comfortable climb. At least I feel like I read or saw that on one of their promotional pieces.

concretejungle

Adventurer
OK these things showed up about an hour before I pulled out of the driveway for a weekend trip. Had to give them a try, so I tossed the box in the truck and head out.

Got to camp pretty late (side note here where I live camping is getting more and more difficult to actually find places that are not shut down by gates and away from everyone) so I barely attached them to the ladder.

Because of the bracket I have at the top of my ladder that attaches to the RTT the top step is needing some modification. I will figure that out now that I'm home. Also, I didn't have the ladder fully extended so the bottom step wasn't attached either. Again, these are items I'll tune now that I've had a chance to see how it works.

All in all my wife loves them! I love them. They do make a difference and they do make you feel much safer on the ladder. The padding was perfect so I could use bare feet getting up and down the ladder.

Can't wait to fine tune these and try again.

With the steps remaining on the ladder I was able to "almost" fit the ladder in the ladder bag.
IMG_7999.jpeg

Last edited:

ABBB

OK these things showed up about an hour before I pulled out of the driveway for a weekend trip. Had to give them a try, so I tossed the box in the truck and head out.

Got to camp pretty late (side note here where I live camping is getting more and more difficult to actually find places that are not shut down by gates and away from everyone) so I barely attached them to the ladder.

Because of the bracket I have at the top of my ladder that attaches to the RTT the top step is needing some modification. I will figure that out now that I'm home. Also, I didn't have the ladder fully extended so the bottom step wasn't attached either. Again, these are items I'll tune now that I've had a chance to see how it works.

All in all my wife loves them! I love them. They do make a difference and they do make you feel much safer on the ladder. The padding was perfect so I could use bare feet getting up and down the ladder.

Can't wait to fine tune these and try again.

With the steps remaining on the ladder I was able to "almost" fit the ladder in the ladder bag.
View attachment 779407

Thanks for the update! I didn’t realize the padding on those is as thick as it is. Surprisingly they don’t feature that on their page, seems you’d want the world to know these are soft underfoot.

PS - nice LC

concretejungle

Adventurer
this sounds kind of petty, but having that rear fabric for your foot to hit really makes a big difference in stability and confidence on the ladder. I used the steps in a very lackadaisical manner just to see if they would pop loose or if I felt like I was about to bust through them and fall; I didn't. I felt very secure.

alia176

Explorer
iKamper is truly an an innovative company and this is another example. I bought their ladder few years back they're the only ones who has a ladder rung that are comfortable on bare feet. This product sounds like a winner. I'm sure the Chinese will copy this design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl