IM BACK!!! again....

Well I sold some more stuff and did some shopping. I found a warn 8k new for $400 and I think I will do a multi mount for it. I sold my trailer and now I finally have enough for my canopy. From there its just little things here and there. Its going to be a slow build so stay tuned!

Smart plan! It has taken me 5+ years to get mine where it is today. Slow and steady!!

toyrunner95

Explorer
Yesterday I went canopy shopping. I looked at the A.r.e and they were nice but with I everything I wanted it was upwards of 3k plus an 8week order time since they are on the east coast. I kept my options open and looked at a leer and, well I wasn't impressed. Then I looked at a snug top. Wow! For less than the price of an a.r.e I got a lifetime warranty. All the window and screening options i wanted plus a 2 week lead time. All color matched and installed. Carpeted, internal light and a third brake light plus its not the base model. Its slightly better. Sorry if this doesn't make sense I just woke up.

Anyway; now I can start planning my bed drawers and all that good jazz. From there its multimount for the winch.

Of course I got more questions about that. I thought about a bumper but I don't really need it plus I can't afford it. I was leaning towards the warn bumper guard. Not the headlight guards. Well not yet anyway. But it will give me somewhere to mount lights.

I would love your input on the matter. Because I base all my purchases on what other people think. I do this because minds think of different things that are out of my "field of vision" meaning other points of view.

toyrunner95

Explorer
Well I got my canopy! Its awesome! Its nice and sleek. The windows are clean and utilitarian. I have already taken the measurements for the bed drawers so that's next weekends plan. I also went to truck fest today and found out that Smitty built is coming out with a RTT that's really nice and only $700! Can't beat that price! So next on the list is:
bed drawers
Roof rack
Homemade awning
RTT

Maybe throw a compressor in there too for kicks. And its looking like it should be in my budget!
IMG_20140405_143106_516.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140405_142959_964.jpg
    IMG_20140405_142959_964.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 116

zscott

Adventurer
Nice truck! Jealous of the windoors you have on your shell. Wish mine had that. Since you are on a budget and want to spend your money on worthwhile things, the best thing I have done to my truck yet is add some LED strip lights to the interior of my shell. I got like 2' for $6 on amazon and they are great. My lamp in my shell wasn't super bright and these things make a world of difference. Great for cooking on the tailgate late at night too.

Also, since you are considering a roof rack I will just leave this here as an option.

Good luck with the build!

Toyotero

Explorer
toyrunner95, nice topper. I bet those windoors are going to pay back their price in convenience every time you go out!

Zscott, Wow, that's a very gracefully designed rack system. Nice work.

jruba

Adventurer
Well I got my canopy! Its awesome! Its nice and sleek. The windows are clean and utilitarian. I have already taken the measurements for the bed drawers so that's next weekends plan. I also went to truck fest today and found out that Smitty built is coming out with a RTT that's really nice and only $700! Can't beat that price! So next on the list is:
bed drawers
Roof rack
Homemade awning
RTT

Maybe throw a compressor in there too for kicks. And its looking like it should be in my budget!
View attachment 219156

More info please on the RTT , did a quick search and found nothing .. , love your truck by the way , have one too :sombrero:

jruba

Adventurer
Nice truck! Jealous of the windoors you have on your shell. Wish mine had that. Since you are on a budget and want to spend your money on worthwhile things, the best thing I have done to my truck yet is add some LED strip lights to the interior of my shell. I got like 2' for $6 on amazon and they are great. My lamp in my shell wasn't super bright and these things make a world of difference. Great for cooking on the tailgate late at night too.

Also, since you are considering a roof rack I will just leave this here as an option.

Good luck with the build!

what kind of led lights did you get , do they require wiring ? I would really like to find some battery powered led lights ...

zscott

Adventurer
They run of 12v so you could technically work out a battery pack for them, but I wired mine to my auxiliary battery and added a switch in the bed. I got These. Price has gone up a bit.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Glad you found the truck you've always wanted aye. That's a good feeling and it looks like you've already got a great build plan set-out aye. Good luck going forward and with any/all adventures she takes you on.

Query: What racks (brand/model) are those pictured above ??? FrontRunner maybe (so far the only ones I've found that interest me/fit my wants/needs)??? Cause after years of running a true "basket rack" I've decided my project is going to run a FLAT rack like that for multiple reasons including greater versatility (putting sheets of plywood and 2x4's is a LOT easier then with a full basket and I've got so many NRS Cam-lock straps from my Rafting background that I can tie ANYTHING down with little worry) and lowered wind resistance etc... Plus I think it looks a little more 'stealth and streamlined. I've loved my basket rack, but I think that I've learned from it what I really want and something like that is IT. I'm guessing that since they're a "roof track mount" like my 2nd Gen 4Runner I should be able to get one to fit even if it needs some modifying. Plus I'm guessing that the Rigid Ind. LED light bar I'm looking at would work GREAT mounted to the very front of the rack (and still be lower clearance).

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
So I went to Toyota and asked them what mods I could do that wouldent void the warranty. They told me you can modify whatever you want. But if it leads to a part failure as a direct result then its not covered. So if I put a arb on the front and the shocks go out they aren't covered. Good to know they stand behind their product and engineering as well as their warranty.

They all say this but be careful. When it comes down to a warranty pay out, the dealer will claim things like added weight (of a bumper, for example), or lift or anything outside of the original design parameters as the reason it failed. You would have to prove that it did not lead to the failure and that is extremely difficult to do.

On the canopy front, have you considered a softopper or bestop canopy? I got one (Softopper) and love it. Durable, half the cost of a hard top, and it folds down in under 30 seconds when I want a truck bed. Holds up in winter (I live about 700 km East of the Alaskan Panhandle - no problems).

toyrunner95

Explorer
so this happened today. it will probably be finished tomorrow. Thank god for the Australian instructions. step 1: install bumper.
IMG_20140726_131935_686.jpg

Anyway, soon after i bought the truck and canopy i was offered a position at another company, which paid twice as much as i was making at the time and allowed me to further my modifications. This is why i haven't had any updates, there has been training and the station opening and on and on. There are a couple more big item purchases left like the RTT and suspension and tires but after that it pretty much go and enjoy!

As for the topper, it is a snugtop rebel. i opted for the windoors and i have had nothing but compliments. Everyone loves it and that option especially. I looked at probably a dozen manufacturers but snugtop was the only one that i could get with a full lifetime warranty. plus they are made in California so if there is a problem i could have it back in a couple weeks. ARE and Leer were both 8 weeks out.

Up next is the CB and a very custom and trick little switch panel for the lights and other accessories. ill keep you all posted.

Thanks for the compliments!

that truck with the roof racks is slick, ill have to look into that. I like them.

toyrunner95

Explorer
and the conclusion!
20140727_180022_resized.jpg

I installed it without cutting the original bumper first. Then i decided that it looked really bad without it. So i went ahead and cut it. installed the piece and now it looks really clean. i had a few issues with fitment. one of the tabs along the bottom cross member didn't fit right so i had to beat on it. there were no clear examples of what bolts went where. And the wiring for the fog lights had no instructions. so long story short i'm missing a Deutsch connector for both fog lights. no big deal if i can find one. maybe at Toyota. they aren't hard to install. The bolts had no markings or anything to determine where they went. And the bolt kit was universal. LOTS of extra bolts.

I love it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater