ImNoSaint's Gen III Build

MARKSMONTE

EXPLORER
Hey Imnosaint
I've asked you questions before, but now we are serious. We are looking at a 05 with 56k mikes on it in California, at Puente hills Mitsubishi.
Any problems we should be looking for?

We have desided to sell our 99 Montero with 124k miles and get something with less miles. in the future we can use it for our off roader.
You have experience with yours so I thought to pick your brain.
Thanks

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I'll just jump in with my own Gen III experience, Mark. That '05 should be extremely reliable and the low mileage makes it very attractive. Other than the usual cautions about any used vehicle (history of collision, abuse, etc) there's nothing known to be troublesome in these trucks. By all means test the transfer case in all modes as the pesky little switches on top of it can act up.

If you get that one, we'll be looking forward to watching your progress with it!

Imnosaint

Gone Microcamping
Hey Imnosaint
I've asked you questions before, but now we are serious. We are looking at a 05 with 56k mikes on it in California, at Puente hills Mitsubishi.
Any problems we should be looking for?

We have desided to sell our 99 Montero with 124k miles and get something with less miles. in the future we can use it for our off roader.
You have experience with yours so I thought to pick your brain.
Thanks

Very cool, and I'll +1 what Sabre said. Take an old shirt you won't mind getting dirty and crawl underneath. Front end damage is easy to conceal with the plastic bumper caps and fender lining, so you'll want to take a good look underneath and the buttresses that support the bumper. You'll need to remove a fastener or two and pull back the front part of the thin fender lining, but, IMHO, it's worth checking out. While on your back, look above the cat that crosses under the transmission junction, checking the top and side for evidence of oil burn off. I've read and heard of, and deal with a rear crank seal leak and this is where that leak ends up. From what I can tell, the leak is induced under torque and burns off, leaving no trace on the pavement. It's nothing terminal, but can be a negotiating point.

Operate the middle seat functions, all of them. There's a cable that connects to the larger split seat release mechanism that comes undone easily. The operation of which is the silliest thing on the third gen, but you'll want to make sure it's completely functional. If the cable is broken, the seat back will lean forward flush to the seat bottom, but the whole assembly will not tilt forward toward the front row seating. $200 fix at Mitsu dealer. If it's busted it cripples rear flat storage.

There's been mention on this forum of the temp gauge not working or not reading correctly. Not a bad idea to make sure it's doing what it's engineered to do.

54k, wow. Just a baby. Good luck and be careful not to get enamored, you lose your edge once you fall in love.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I went to Puente Hills' website and looked at that one...it's beautiful! Looks really nice...all the body lines are straight, gaps even and aligned, and those aftermarket wheels and low-profile tires scream out "I've never been off the pavement!"

One of the green dash lamps for the 4WD system is burned out (right rear), but that's very, very common and literally 15 minutes and a handful of LEDs from Superbright will cure that problem forever. Very clean vehicle! I'm leery of used car lots, but that's a Mitsu dealership and should be able to give you assurance that all is as it should be.

MARKSMONTE

EXPLORER
I appriciate your looking.
They are not very flexable on the price.
There is another in Glendale AZ that is a 04 with 61k on it but Im not to thrilled about the colors.

I shouldn't high jack this thread.

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
Make sure the recalls have been repaired. Most important would be the fuel levelling valve which leaks when the tank is full and the vehicle is parked on an incline. Check for valve cover leaks and look for blue smoke on start-up. The valve seals have a habit of leaking.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Make sure the recalls have been repaired. Most important would be the fuel levelling valve which leaks when the tank is full and the vehicle is parked on an incline. Check for valve cover leaks and look for blue smoke on start-up. The valve seals have a habit of leaking.

The Brake Booster Accumulator is another recall item.

Good luck on your search for a Montero.
The above mentioned, low mile vehicle looks like a very clean rig indeed.

Imnosaint

Gone Microcamping
Middle-Seatectomy

After several hundred miles of traveling and camping with two Golden Retrievers, the non-functioning 60/40 middle seat became problematic. It took up too much space while providing little space in which Ginger and Mary Ann could get comfortable. It also encroached on cargo area, requiring some of our long and narrow kit to go up on the roof, like the double cot, tent hardware and collapsable table. Add that we rarely have passengers in that space and it was time to make a change.

There's a cable that attaches to a mechanism inside the middle bench that when deployed allows the bench to fold down and forward creating more cargo room. This cable on the 60 section has busted twice on us, debilitating the seat. I removed it by dismantling it from the hardware on its flanks giving me access underneath the seat bottom to the mechanism that releases it from its mount on the floor. Not the smartest thing to do in 105 degree heat, but it's out. I also removed the 40 seat - piece of cake on that one.

After measuring space and accounting for front seat travel I found the at 24" x 48" sheet of three quarter fiber board would fill the space nicely giving the dogs a few more square feet of room. I fashioned a set of braces that mounted with the existing seat hardware, creating room underneath the platform to stow the items that we'd normally put up top.

RearEst.jpg

DriveEst.jpg

Brackets.jpg

There's a cut out to access the rear AC/heat controls.

Cutout.jpg

It loads easily, holding the double cot, the Kodiak springbar tent hardware and the collapsable table, while making more room for the canines. There's dog barrier on order separate them from the cargo area.

PackedUnderShelfDrive.jpg

We'll all be happier with these new digs, easier to stow kit, more cargo room in the back, and more space for traveling dogs.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Great thread! Just read the whole thing from start to finish. A Gen 3 DiD Shorty is in my future, so I'm at the idea gathering stage... needless to say, lots of great ideas in your thread! But my wife has a pic request: Ginger and Mary Ann in their new digs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3