Importance of matching tire size to tow vehicle

GFA

Adventurer
I'm getting a bit concerned about the condition of the original tires on my M416 and the ability to have them repaired by myself or even a tire shop if needed. So in looking for new tires, ideally I'd run matching 285/70/17's to have a common spare with my JKU but I don't want to lift the trailer to fit them. The tires would also stick way out from the fenders which I don't want.

I'm thinking of running a 245/70/17 which is about 31x9.50 Will these be ok on a 9" rim? And if one were to go flat beyond repair would I be able to remove a fender to use the 285 to get to a shop?

Thanks

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
If you're going to be getting a new set of tires you should get the same size and bolt to match your JK. Besides the fact that it will perform better, look better, and increase the value of your trailer, its a safety thing. You dont want to have a blow out with no spare which means you need to carry a second one. You want to be able to use your vehicle spare on your trailer. IF things get really bad and you blow two tires with irreparable punctures it gives you the option to run a flat on the trailer instead of the vehicle, thus enabling you to get home.
I see no reason as to why your tires wouldnt fit under that trailer. Do you have any pictures? At WORST you would have to go to spring over on your trailer to fit.

rnArmy

Adventurer
How about mounting a swing away rear bumper and spare tire carrier on the back of your trailer? That way you could carry a spare on your trailer and on your Jeep.

Or... a 285/70/17" tire is essentially a 33" tall tire. How about a narrow 33" tire? I think BFG makes a 33" by 9.5" wide tire (for at least a 15" diameter rim). Would a 15" rim fit on your Jeep?

I do think it is important to have a matching spare tire for your trailer AND your tow vehicle.

/dev/ram

/dev/yj tow vehicle
M416 is very balanced, so much so that any extra weight on the back not compensated for on the front will result in serious issues in handling. Most vehicles already have a spare, so that makes for a good spare for the trailer and, in an extreme situation, you have three spares for your tow vehicle.

rnArmy

Adventurer
You really need a spare that matches your trailer's tires; preferably a dedicated spare for both your trailer and tow vehicle (that's two spare tires; one for each).

Think about it; you've spent a couple thousand at least for your trailer and all the gear that goes with it/attached to it. You get a flat on your trailer and don't have a spare (different bolt patterns, or you've already used your tow vehicle's spare and don't have another spare for the trailer). And you can't just put a plug in the tire (torn sidewall). Do you really want to leave your expensive trailer and gear by the side of the road or in the middle of the woods to try and track down a new tire? You don't plan on leaving your wife/girlfriend/buddy out there in the middle of nowhere to "guard" the trailer while you go trying to find a spare do you? Or are you going to tow the trailer (with a flat) for however how long till you can get to a town that MAY have a tire place? This is the Expedition Portal - we're assuming you're taking your trailer out away from civilization on an expedition type adventure.

It is cheap insurance to have a dedicated spare for each. If you've got matching tires all around (tow vehicle and trailer) you should still consider a dedicated spare for each.

While you're at it, you should also carry a complete spare trailer hub and bearing set for just in case. That too is cheap insurance.

I think tow vehicle matched spares are awesome, but for my own purposes, I did not bother to match the bolt pattern and tire to my tow vehicle. I do however carry a matching spare for my trailer. Flats are not the only breakdown a tow vehicle has, and if someone else needs to pull out my trailer, they may not have the same bolt pattern and tire as my tow rig--I still want them to have a spare for the trailer. Plus, I let other people pull my trailer and they don't all have Jeeps with 5on5 hubs and the same tires I do...

My trailer will also outlive my current tow rig (and probably the next one, and the next one), and I don't want to bother with changing bolt pattern/tire/wheel on the trailer just because I got a different Jeep, or truck, or whatever.

Not everyone tows their trailer with the same vehicle all of the time and that's reason enough to carry a trailer spare that is specific to the trailer.

GFA

Adventurer
I guess I'll go with the 285's to match the JKU. It makes the most sense to do so but I really hate to lift the trailer another 5-6" when it's over and done with. It's hard enough to get a 60lb chuckbox out as it is...

Luckily, I have an M416A1 which has the correct size bearings to be able to swap the hubs to whatever bolt pattern I need. But, my wheels that I already run on the JKU have dual lug patterns to also fit the trailers stock hubs.

Does anyone make fenders to fit the M416 that are wider or will I need to fab my own?

What's involved in the spring over? Just unbolt and flip the axle 180°?

Thanks
SB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner