Input on new 3rd generation 4runner purchase

7echo

Adventurer
Just for reference-
I got one last summer. '99, Limited, 4wd, elocker, $7500. I sorta did it backwards-I got one from up north. It lived in Indianapolis for most of its life and ended up in south Georgia. There is surface rust on parts of the undersides but not bad. Very clean interior and straight body. It had 100,000 miles on it when I got it, not bad for a '99. Of course it has all the 'known' issues-leaking axle seal, dash clock not working, potential for pink milk shake, shimmy in front brakes, etc.
I changed the radiator, did the Tundra brake upgrade, and have been changing a few other items as well. So far I like it, though it is much smaller inside than I am used too.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I think I gotta go talk to this dealer. I "dislike"dealers! Shoot, I work right around corner. There goes my adventure flying out west and driving an unknown vehicle home! My only concern is dealing with rust when replacing parts. Frame looked good, unlike my tacoma!

How'd your dealer visit go?!

yosh1975

Observer
I have not gone yet. Need to get finances straightened out, wife's buy in. I am also in the middle of some home projects. Maybe after work next week I will stop in.

yosh1975

Observer
Sorry guys, I need some more info and/ or opinions. We are going to look at a couple of 4runners this coming weekend.
I just found a 1999sr5 with less than 100k but not much on CarFax. Just a cooling line and 02 sensors in past year. No other history. 9500$
2002 sr5 with 160k. Not much on the service/repair history. I did notice it was a rental in CA for first 14k miles. 5000$
2005 sr5 v6 148K. CarFax shows a few oil changes but that's about it. BONUS 3rd row seating 10000$
2007 sr5 v6 150k. Carfax and Toyota show a lot of oil changes and both axles replaced 10000$
The 99 I had mentioned previously sold.
We like the idea of 3rd row for our kids friends, their cousins, and additional family memebers but I do not like the electrical 4x4 control and esc.
I like the 99 but looks like a little money will be needed soon for timing belt.

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
Unless it's 2wd, needing major repairs or neglected, I'd go with the cheap one. Not necessary to spend a lot of money for your wants and needs. Or for anyone else's, for that matter.:)

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
The 99 is way high - it's still a 16 year old truck. Worth $6k to $7k. I'd buy the 2002 if it's a 4wd. Fair price. At 160k, it's first 14k won't matter. If it was abused it would have shown up 100k miles ago.

The 2005 and 2007 sound reasonable.

98roamer

Explorer
If you're ever close to Cincy and want to see how my 3rd gen with almost 200k miles on it drive shoot me an email. They're sturdy and last a long time. It's got the OME 2" lift and 199 Tundra brake upgrade for reference.

yosh1975

Observer
Shoot, I was just down in Cinncy for work back in October. Went over to Bass Pro shop a few times.
How's the rust factor down there? I went dealership this am and crawled under a few and saw some with what looked like spray paint on frame and trailer hitch.
Might just hold off until I can locate one out West.
Any good trails down your way? All flat and fields up here
Thanks for the offer though, next time.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
I would buy the newest and lowest mile rig I could find. I too was searching for a 3rd gen a few years ago and found an absolute gem thru this site. I thought I wanted an 01-02 but found a 97 limited with only 115k miles ome suspension arb bumper and a winch and other odds and ends up in seattle with full book of service history. I had a buddy check it out and flew there that weekend to drive it back home. Paid a very fair price as well
now 3 years later the truck may be nearing 20yrs old but im still under 140k miles and she still purrs.
Trucks here in AZ are generally rust free and in good shape, but there seems to be far less 4wd rigs. When I searched northern california and Washington I found more options and still rust free rigs

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Not sure if they use salt...the major cities in both California Washington and Oregon rarely ever get snow anyways so there isnt a need to.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I would say anywhere south of Missouri would be safe. Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. None of us get much snow or ice and we just wait for it to thaw out rather than salting the roads when we do have an event. I'll keep my eyes peeled down this way for you.

yosh1975

Observer
Thanks Duckhunter. I have an Uncle out in Amarillo looking also.
Maverick, it sounds like you should be upgrading soon. If you want I can take your old one of your hands!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design