InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Cole

Expedition Leader
So the heater heats and circulates the coolant in the van and you have to run the vans blower to heat the cabin?

Correct. They are actually wired together (stock) so that when the heater fires up it turns on the climate control in the van and blows the hot air in there.

Mountainman75

Is this the one below the under hood battery? Ours has that one and the secondary cabin heater with the ducts behind the driver in the floor.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Yes. Mounts behind the driver side headlight.

16302444481_51f6459d9f_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Now that the holidays are over and I have the coolant heater working agian , it's time to finish more of the conversion.

I had originally stopped the 80/20 about 22" before the bulkhead. I have been toying with ideas of skylights, portal windows, second vent, etc. So I wanted the front section to be kinda modular for future modifications.

16125905358_79aefda23d_b_d.jpg

Bad picture, bu there is the front section now put together. (Aligned better than the picture shows.) Tapped the 80/20 and bolted it to the maple panel in front. This is now a VERY structural system.

This is also the keystone pieces to finishing the insulation and lighting in the roof. So it should stay warmer now in the winter and cooler in the summer.

16127282209_7aacf4244e_b_d.jpg

16312583422_f4aa2edbea_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
The center panel is covered in red vinyl. Feels like leather. Textured like a basketball.

The insulation is a r19 recycled Cotten sound deadening.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Some of my friends, friends posted photos to Facebook of me driving down the road yesterday :smiley_drive: So apparently my plan to make people smile worked!!

A buddy and I went in on the trailer together years ago since nobody needs a car hauler full time. When I picked it up at his place yesterday his kids had left the trike on the trailer as a gift for my daughter. I figured it was already on the trailer (obviously no room in thre Sprinter :coffeedrink:) so may as well strap it down!

......of course that means a Tricycle project now too:Wow1:

How do you find the power for towing with the tall tires? I tried towing my Syncro highroof behind mine and it just didn't have enough guts to stay in top gear, much less pull 50mph up an easy grade. Has the chip helped a lot?

Cole

Expedition Leader
It cruised fine at 75 mph on mostly flat ground. (I'm at 6,000ft elevation though). I wasn't ever really on open roads or mountains though. Trailer is about 1800lbs and the shell was about 3300. So maxing out the tow rating. Only towed the full weight about 15 miles.

Seemed to struggle just a bit getting off the line. But my normal tow rig is 550hp/600TQ so my expectations of the Sprinter weren't real high to begin with.

I do wish I had the 4:18 rear end instead of the 3:73 if anyone out there wants to swap ;-)

Cole

Expedition Leader
Roof light panels.

These will be insulated behind them with 2" of the sound deadening r19 stuff and one layer of reflectix aluminum bubble wrapy stuff. With a LEd strip mounted inside shining up on the reflectix to make these light up!

Will run the entire length of the van. So when you open a cabinet they will be lit inside. (Doors for cabinets still need built)

15719220074_5f42a343a1_b_d.jpg

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I've heard swapping the rear end ratio requires settings to be changed on the computer - so beware...

The top two gears on the 5 speed tranny of the 5 cylinder sprinters are overdrive - so its no surprise to me that you need to shift down to 4th when hitting hills - its only a 2.7 liter engine. I pulled trailers a number of times that were over the 5k lb "limit" and I was impressed with the performance - of course it was through Oregon and California where the trailering speed was 55 so 60mph was fine. I think pulling a syncro high roof is pretty extreme (perhaps you have the higher power v6 engine?) as that is a lot of wind resistance - but probably similar to when I pulled my Pinzgauer on a trailer from Sacramento to Seattle...

Cole

Expedition Leader
Well, honestly, everyone on the Sprinter forum told me my computer needed changed for the tires too. :coffeedrink:

The computer probably won't care about he gear ratio. Especially since it will think it's more stock than my current set up.

Part of the reason I want the lower gears is for the off pavement stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven