Installing a Victron Multiplus 2000 Inverter/Charger ?

pdavitt

Bravo30,

Wiring the external AC source (Shore Power) to a Pass-Through, Inverter/Charger is different than other systems. All three of the shore power wires (Hot, Neutral, and Ground) should be wired directly to the Multiplus. Other than a breaker/fuse for the Hot wire, do not connect them to any thing else (Ground/Neutral Buses, etc.). The MultiPlus AC out should be the only source of power for AC loads. Also, do not manually bond the AC out Neutral to Ground. The MultiPlus has an automatic transfer switch that controls the Neutral/Ground bond. I have attached copy of the Manual for your Inverter/Charger. I strongly recommend you read it before wiring the system. I would hate to see you fry a thousand dollar plus device.

I have years of experience with these types of systems and am just trying to help.
Hope you take this in the spirit in which it is offered.

Pat

Attachments

• Manual-MultiPlus-Compact-2000-120V-EN.pdf
    484.5 KB · Views: 35
pdavitt thanks for posting that manual. I had not read it when I posted about bonding the neutral. I stand corrected, DO NOT bond the neutrals to ground, DO NOT connect the neutrals from the AC input side to the AC output side. The inverter provides isolation between the input and output. According to section 4.3 you do need overcurrent protection on input and output side, with a GFI breaker on the output side. I did not read the whole manual with regards to dip switch settings and such.

Also like Verstad said there is concerned if you connect to an AC supply that is wired wrong and the polarity is reversed. I do not know how this inverter handles reversed polarity input. To expand on his statement on using OCP in the input Neutral, if you do this you should use what is called a Double Pole breaker. They are easily recognized with a tie bar that mechanically ties both breakers together.

pdavitt

Thought I would toss in a diagram, it is attached. As you can see the AC side is a lot simpler than the DC side. Especially if you are adding solar. And, I did not include any connections to the vehicle's DC system.
The yellow wire color in the diagram is for DC negative. The ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) approved yellow for DC negative so people would not confuse it with AC Hot.

Also, please ignore the DC wire sizes and Breaker sizes. Not sure what your system will require, so they are there for illustration purposes only.

Pat

Attachments

• Victron_12V.pdf
    198 KB · Views: 59
Looking at the operation manual. It appears when operating in "pass thru mode", Victron will still charge batteries & function normally but will pass thru a polarity mistake to the receptacles. When operating on its inverter output, the polarity at receptacles is correct.

Reverse polarity receptacles is fairly common. My experience about 8% receptacles I encounter are reversed. Further, on older 2 wire systems, about 15% some Dickhead Shadetree replaced old receptacle with a modern 5-15/20R & connected its groundpin to neutral. Even encounter hot groundpins on occasion...

Off topic but just to add to what you said. When I first moved into the house I am in now I went around every outlet and tested them. Over half were wrong polarity. Corrected that What a pain I decided I needed to inspect the electrical panel because of the crappy outlet wiring. SURPRISE!!! 4 14ga circuits tied to one 60 amp breaker!!! I can't post my shouting. They ran out of room so they figured 4 15 amp circuits combined would need a 60 amp breaker because there was not enough room left in the box. Fix was easy with 2 15 amp tandem breakers.

Bravo30

Bravo30,

I have years of experience with these types of systems and am just trying to help.
Hope you take this in the spirit in which it is offered.

Pat

i appreciate EVERYBODYS help. i view these types of situations as cumulative learning where every piece of information whether relevant, factual or not contributes to the end result. forums are great in the sense that every comment leads to a reply and it branches out from there all the while you learn and delve deeper an deeper into research. its not the process that matters its the end result, like making sausage lol

pdavitt

Looking at the operation manual. It appears when operating in "pass thru mode", Victron will still charge batteries & function normally but will pass thru a polarity mistake to the receptacles. When operating on its inverter output, the polarity at receptacles is correct.

Reverse polarity receptacles is fairly common. My experience about 8% receptacles I encounter are reversed. Further, on older 2 wire systems, about 15% some Dickhead Shadetree replaced old receptacle with a modern 5-15/20R & connected its groundpin to neutral. Even encounter hot groundpins on occasion...

I guess I should have added a reverse polarity protection device to the drawing. Most of the marine AC Main breakers I use have a reverse polarity trip coil built in.

Pat

Bravo30

I guess I should have added a reverse polarity protection device to the drawing. Most of the marine AC Main breakers I use have a reverse polarity trip coil built in.

Pat
are you talking about reverse polarity breakers in the load center? or is this going to be something additional that i need to get?

pdavitt

are you talking about reverse polarity breakers in the load center? or is this going to be something additional that i need to get?

I think for a camper the easiest way to protect your system from reverse polarity and other bad things is to get a surge protector/EMS device that plugs directly into the power pedestal. Then you plug your power cord into it. That way the device will let you know if you have a problem before you plug in, or if one occurs later.
An example can be found here: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt-x

Pat

Bravo30

Thought I would toss in a diagram, it is attached. As you can see the AC side is a lot simpler than the DC side. Especially if you are adding solar. And, I did not include any connections to the vehicle's DC system.
The yellow wire color in the diagram is for DC negative. The ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) approved yellow for DC negative so people would not confuse it with AC Hot.

Also, please ignore the DC wire sizes and Breaker sizes. Not sure what your system will require, so they are there for illustration purposes only.

Pat

Let me know what you think. i think i got everything the way you had it on the diagram.

10/2 30amp coming INTO the van from shore power hookup underneath the van. that line goes into the first load center via a 30amp dual pole breaker. the ground passes through and connects directly to the multipass. From the multipass i have a 10/2 line going out to a second 30amp load center with two single pole 15amp breakers. the ground connects to the ground buss and then another ground wire connects the buss to the vehicle chassis (i havent done that yet) from there i ran one outlet.

Bravo30

i still need to add the ground wire from the inverter to the van chassis as well. i figure 2 awg ?

pdavitt

I am concerned about the Multiplus output side. You should have a 30A main breaker on the output and then branch to your two 15A circuits. Remember that you have a Pass-Through Inverter/Charger, while your Inverter (in inverter mode) cannot provide a full 30A output, when it is in Pass-Through mode you will get the full amperage of the shore power (30A). Whether or not you circuit protect the Neutral on the output side is up to you. The purpose of the output main breaker is to protect the wire from the MultiPlus to the panel.

Pat

Bravo30

30A on its output side is not needed. As shown, two 15A is fine for this use.

As far as grounding conductor from inverter to chassis, suggest looking at installation manual. (I cant open on this computer) but if its purpose is strictly bonding truckframe to grounding conductor of the shore supply, use 10AWG matching shore supply conductors.

i called Victron and the tech recommended 2awg ground wire from Inverter o Chassis. he went on to mention the possibility of there being 67amps coming out of the AC side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77