Installing Xterra full OME kit, tips/tricks?

TFin04

Adventurer
Hi guys, I have a full OME kit on the way. I've done some basic suspension work in the past, replacing shocks and putting leaf springs on trailers. I haven't seen any install write ups or videos specific to the Xterra, just wondering if there are any recommendations other than ARB's install guidelines that would be helpful? Things that would have been helpful to know or have if you were to do it again?

Thanks for your time.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I found the Frontier to be pretty straight forward and simple, not as complicated as installing the OME in my brothers 4runner. Biggest thing is hit the bolts with deep creep or other penetrating fluid numerous times for days before you install.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You need a strut compressor to disassemble the factory struts, and assemble the OME's with the top plates. If you do not have a good strut compressor and are comfortable using it (can be very dangerous if misused), I would farm this work out to a local shop. Although it would require a second vehicle to bring the struts to the shop since the Xterra will be half apart.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I found the Frontier to be pretty straight forward and simple, not as complicated as installing the OME in my brothers 4runner. Biggest thing is hit the bolts with deep creep or other penetrating fluid numerous times for days before you install.

That's for sure! Also, when you put it back toget her, make sure to apply a good dose of antiseize on everything!

TFin04

Adventurer
You need a strut compressor to disassemble the factory struts, and assemble the OME's with the top plates. If you do not have a good strut compressor and are comfortable using it (can be very dangerous if misused), I would farm this work out to a local shop. Although it would require a second vehicle to bring the struts to the shop since the Xterra will be half apart.

Thanks, I had planned on contacting a few local shops to get a quote on building the fronts up. Local shop rents the tool but I may just pay it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven