Interstatng an 07 E-350

Inyo80

Looked at 60's era Ford vans decades ago. Never got one. Later got an '84 E-150 5 window cargo van with a 300 6 cyl and 4 speed manual OD transmission to haul sporting equipment back and forth to the Columbia Gorge. It got 17-18 MPG.

Fast forward 25 years - still have the E-150 though it's getting tired and suffering from neglect. For an upcoming trip I decided to upgrade and started looking again. Wound up buying a 2007 E-350 with the 6.0L. It has a few codes latched and needs attention before it can pass smog. Because of that I got a super deal. My feeling is people are scared of the 6.0L's the more they read. Since I did zero homework and missed all that, I stumbled into it and miraculously found a decent one. Super happy with it!

110k miles, 5 window, standard length, 6.0L, 5R110W 5 speed, E rated BFG T/As, factory tow. Seems there's lots of good info now from folks who lived through the 6.0L shortcomings and those of us late to the party can take advantage of that provided we find a good base to work from. It was shop maintained by previous owner so aside from a few things related to sitting unused for a while, it seems solid.

I don't plan to be expeditioning with it, got a few good 4x4 rigs for that. Hence it's going to be used more for interstating than overlanding. Highway travels mostly though it could see Vancouver Is and Death Valley dirt roads. Pull a boat, haul kayaks, bandit camp, stuff like that. I'm going to shield my eyes from all your cool 4x4 conversions! The few I saw look amazing. For now a platform in the back to sleep on, an Engel fridge, and a few water jugs will be fine. Ok, maybe an awning and a few HAM radios. And maybe an ARB or limited slip diff, and maybe.... ;-)

Attachments

• 20160730_123838.jpg
    20160730_123838.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 200

tgreening

Expedition Leader
It's not that the 6.0s can't be made solid and strong, it's that when something goes wrong, and it will sooner or later, they are stupid expensive to fix. That's the biggest problem with the modern diesels.

I've had 3 of those, a 6.4, and a 6.7. The 6.7 so far has been trouble free, the 6.4 dumped a fuel pump and dang near cost a bankruptcy, the 6.0s cost $6k plus each in fixes after failure in the case of 2, or hopefully preventive fixes in the case of the one I still have.

Ask what it'll cost to have your injectors replaced. Just those and nothing else.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've heard $8k for injectors... Never owned one. Talked with an Ambo driver... His friend uses Excursions for his company... 28k in repairs in just one week.

Hope you have better luck... I'm glad I've got a 7.3 even though they're 'slower'. That said, I beat an aquaitence up a grade when he was driving his Dodge Cummings Pickup and I a 8500 lb Ambulance... And by beat, I mean I was at the top before he reached 1/2 way.

B-Excurgin

I have 2. 6.0 1. 06 and 1. 07 and haven't had any problems. The 6.0 van set up is little different then the truck and had way less issues. treat it right and you Should be fine.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I spoke with a local Ambo owner of a 2006 with a 6.0. He's herd the newer ones are better... Perhaps also being a van. He's had no problems. So I'm hoping yours'll also take care of you.

Noticed you've got cruisers. I started building my 1974 Fj40 in 1991... Now it's got 350, 4wheel discs, a FF rear axle, '77 frame, hand built tub, '81 Top, '75 hatch, Rebuilt Trans & TCase, 3.70 gears, 33x10.50 BFG ATs, Split hood, rear bench, & etc, etc.

Inyo80

Nowadays if you need to pay someone to wrench on your trucks it's going to be expensive, no doubt about it. I intend to work on it myself so that saves quite a lot of $. Hopefully I'm not posting again in a few years some horror stories! It runs nice and OBD-II data looks good so far, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm replacing or upgrading most of the cooling system. Hoping that will help longevity. Also not going to touch the tune. I also drive like an old lady and that may help too.

Bikersmurf: Your 40 sounds like mine with parts spanning a few decades!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner