IntrepidXpedition 2007

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Well, I am heading out from work later this afternoon and making my way out to Colorado to start my 2+ week trip.

I'm going to try and post updates and pictures from the road, but I'm guessing if I do, I will only have time to post them up on my blog.

So if you are interested, check it out here: http://myxj.net/blog/

I'll be starting out at the Sawatch Range before heading over to the San Juans.......also stops in Grand Junction, La Sals, Moab, San Rafael Swell, Uintas, Devil's Tower, Badlands NP (among others) are planned.

Really looking forward to it!

:wings:

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 2 - The day that almost wasn't!

Why was it almost not? Well, when I got close to the Nebraska border, not only was my Jeep running very warn and almost overheating, but my transmission wasn't shifting properly.......

I decided to stop and get dinner at Country Kitchen and then turn around and head home. Luckily after dinner I scanned my check engine codes and was able to clear it causing the shifting problem to go away. Then I decided to make it to Denver by morning in order to fix the overheating problem. During the night I was able to drive with no issues since it was cool out, but as soon as it warmed up, I had to turn the heat on to keep the vehicle cool enough. I ended up only sleeping 1.5 hours last night (as still haven;t got any more than that), making it to Denver by 9am and replacing my whole cooling system (with a big help from Mark over on NAXJA) by around 3pm. I was still able to stop at Sonic for dinner and make it to the Sawatch Range by 5pm so I could run a trail or two and keep on schedule!

What a day!

Anyways, here I am getting ready to head to bed at Chalk Creek campground in Nathrop.....so I can explore some more tomorrow (plus make up for my lack of sleep last night). It feels great to be back in Colorado again!

But I will leave you with a couple of pictures I have taken so far. Enjoy :)

Fixing my Jeep in Denver:

IMG_4765.JPG

Sevenmile Road:

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

Now I am off to bed.....goodnight!

bovw

Explorer
I made the drive from Chicago to Denver is one shot a couple years ago, I do not envy you on the journey. Between the traffic and carsick kid, we made Denver at 4AM.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 3.....just some pics for now.

St Elmo
IMG_4873.JPG

Hancock Pass
IMG_4889.JPG

Hancock Lake Rd
IMG_4946.JPG

Alpine Tunnel Road
IMG_4990.JPG

Alpine Tunnel
IMG_5033.JPG

Cumberland Pass
IMG_5073.JPG

Tincup
IMG_5097.JPG

Mary Murphy Mine
IMG_5162.JPG

Pomeroy Lake
IMG_5193.JPG

Iron Chest
IMG_5209.JPG

Tomorrow I make my way to Silverton.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 4 in Pictures (2 days late)

Day 4 in Pictures

Headed from Monarch, CO over to Silverton almost never hitting pavement on Sunday.

Old Monarch Pass
IMG_5263.JPG

Middle Quartz Creek
IMG_5304.JPG

Pitkin
IMG_5318.JPG

Traffic on Los Pinos Pass
IMG_5358.JPG

Los Pinos Pass
IMG_5381.JPG

Cunningham Gulch
IMG_5480.JPG

Stony Pass
IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

Silverton
IMG_5614.JPG

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Outstanding country. I have to find a way to get up there and explore the area. Great pics. Thanks for posting.:D

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 5 in Pictures (1 day late)

Wow! That's all I can say about the San Juans......I have seen thousands of pictures opf the area over the years, and none of them do this place any justice....not even any I took. You really have to go there to get the full experience......the scenery is just amazing! Anyways, I will leave you with a few pictures from Monday now.

From Engineer Pass

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_5782.JPG

Whitmore Falls

IMG_5830.JPG

Carson City along Wager Gulch

IMG_5890.JPG

From Cinnamon Pass

IMG_5951.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

Animas Forks

IMG_6010.JPG

Placer Gulch

IMG_6065.JPG

Lake Como from California Pass

IMG_6116.JPG

Corkscrew Pass

IMG_6180.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 6 in Pictures (on time)

Well, my original plan for today was to take Ophir Pass over to Telluride and then take Imogene back into Ouray before heading up to Grand Junction......unfortunately a big storm in Telluride changed my plans last night. When I got to the top of Ophir, I found a road closed sign, so I headed over to Black Bear....again, another road closed sign. Finally I headed over to Imogene from Ouray and found a ranger putting up another road closed sign.......apparently they had some bad storms and a few mudslides that closed the trails on the Telluride side. I did take Imogene to the top and back, though.

After getting out of Ouray I headed up to Grand Junction over the Uncompahgre Plateau.

Here's some pics from the day.

Ophir Pass
IMG_6236.JPG

Yankee Boy
IMG_6275.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

What I found at Imogene

IMG_6394.JPG

Imogene

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6357.JPG

Back to some red rocks near Montrose

IMG_6416.JPG

Heading down into Jack's Canyon

IMG_6527.JPG

Now I'm going to be in Grand Junction for a few days attending the UFWDA annual meeting....so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get on any trails again until Friday.....but I'm going to try ;)

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 7

Well, day 7 has come and gone. Unfortunately, I was stuck in a UFWDA meeting most of the day. However, this evening, I did manage to get out to the Grand Junction desert and get a few pics of the Book Cliffs.

Book Cliffs in the background with a nasty storm rolling in

IMG_6555.JPG

At the end of 27.25 road

IMG_6578.JPG

Sun is setting, storm is rolling in and high winds are kicking up some dust

IMG_6593.JPG

More meeting tomorrow....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz