IntrepidXpedition 2007

Tanto

Adventurer
Cool pics as usual Randy,

I found this neat little fact sheet on Old Ephraim's Grave & posted the same on our local club forum.

I will now give you a few facts: "Eph" bit a 6-inch , aspen log off in one bite, that was 9 feet, 11 inches above the ground. He also bit a 13-foot log, 12 inches in diameter, ito eleven length, as if they had been chopped.

Conclusion.
A bear like Old Ephraim could do serious damge to a heard of sheep, but this story is tragic because it ended the ara of the grizzly bears in this region.

During the actual confrontation, Clark probably didn't have time to consider how he felt about killing Old Ephraim, because the bear would have killed him. But according to Clark's niece, Thelma Daniels, her uncle later spoke of regrets, because the grizzly was such a magnificent animal.

"If I had it to do over again," he once said, "I wouldn't do it." Clark remained a bachelor all of his life and died in 1960.

(researched by Newell J. Crookston, excerpts taken from the 3C"count of Frank Clark)

The trail to Old Ephraim's Grave.
Access the trail to Old Ephraim's grave in the Lomia Camp or Lodge Campground, Right Hand Fork, Logan Canyon. The trail is 5.4 miles one way. Take US 89 9.2 miles up Logan Canyon to the Right Hand Fork Road. Turn right off 89 and travel one mile up Right Hand Fork to the first junction. Take the left road for 0.6 miles to the end of the road. From the trailhead the route is well marked and will continue up Right Hand Fork for 0.7 miles. At this point, Ricks Canyon will come in from the south and the trails will split. Take the trail up Ricks canyon for another 0.7 mile.
Steel Hollow, on the left side, is well signed, well traveled, and easy to locate. The Steel Hollow Trail is 4.6 miles long and will intersect forest road 056 about 0.2 miles south of Dog Springs. Turn north of FR 056 and follow the road North for about 1.5 miles. Ephraim's Grave is on the east side of the road and is marked with an 11-foot stone to represent the height of Old Eph. The stone monument was designed, erected and lettered by Arthur, Max and Howard Jorgensen, and officially dedicated on September 23, 1966.

The skull on display at USU Merrill Library, Special Collections, Reading Room.
A few months after the kill, Logan scoutmaster George R. Hill Jr., took his Boy Scout Troop into the canyon to dig up the skull of the bear. Hill wanted to submit it to the Smithsonian to document the bear was indeed a grizzly, says his son George R. Hill III of Salt Lake City.

The boys found the grave -- following directions provided by Clark -- and unearthed the skull, carrying it out on the end of a long pole because "it stunk like mad," Hill says.

The Smithsonian confirmed the skull was that of a grizzly, and Hill says his father's troop received $25 for its efforts. The skull remained in Washington, D.C. until 1978, when it came back to Utah for display at Utah State University Merrill Library's Special Collections. The skull is on loan from the Smithsonian Institution.

Poem To Old Ephraim by Nephi Bott
"Old Ephraim, Old Ephraim
Your deeds were so wrong
Yet we built you this marker
And sing you this song.

To the King of the forest
So mighty and tall
We salute you Old Ephraim
The King of them all."

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Sorry about the rain last night.....:(

We've had three nights of rain all summer and you were here for one of them. Bummer.

More great photos from the Loop Road, South Pass and Red Canyon. Red Canyon is a beautiful spot. In the winter my friends and I snowmobile on Louis Lake, and in the summer I take my kids there to the tiny beach. It's fun to see your own backyard through someone else's eyes.

Hope the trip continues with more great adventures. Be safe -

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
well, after 5206 miles, I am finally home. A day earlier than I planned, but that's OK, because I'm exhausted and need a day of sleep and recovery before I head back to work on Tuesday.

I'll get my pics from the Badlands up later tonight.

whitetaco66

IntrepidXJ said:
well, after 5206 miles, I am finally home. A day earlier than I planned, but that's OK, because I'm exhausted and need a day of sleep and recovery before I head back to work on Tuesday.

I'll get my pics from the Badlands up later tonight.

Thanks for sharing! Seems like it was an awesome trip!:wings:

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 17.....the final day.

Took a drive though Badlands NP on my way home. It was kinda gloomy, but here's a couple of pics anyways

Saw a bunch of these guys

IMG_8652.JPG

IMG_8680.JPG

IMG_8698.JPG

....and that's it for this trip. I'm going to work on uploading all of my pics to my website along with a more detailed trip report.....so watch for that.

It was definitely an experience I will never forget!

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
IntrepidXJ said:
BTW- this can be moved to completed trips now :)

Moved this to Completed Expeditions for you. This was my first time going through the thread too, what a great trip. This is the stuff that makes this forum great. :costumed-smiley-007

Randy, You sir are an insperation to us all.

For us guys who are out East and wish some someday tour the west as you did. How would one go about planning a trip of this magnitude?

Just sit down with a map?

Thanks!

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Sleeps In Jeeps said:
How would one go about planning a trip of this magnitude?

For some of the areas, such as Moab and Buena Vista, I had been there before and knew the trails in the area. But for the rest of the trip, I bought a few books with trails, got some maps and planned the trip out from them.

IMG_4212.JPG

timaus13

Observer
Magnificent

Absolutely Magnificent trip report, I must say I enjoyed every word and every photograph. thankyou for taking the time and effort to inform us of the time u spent on ure vacation.
Terrific 2 thumbs up.
cheers:1888fbbd:

Tim

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
timaus13 said:
Absolutely Magnificent trip report, I must say I enjoyed every word and every photograph. thankyou for taking the time and effort to inform us of the time u spent on ure vacation.
Terrific 2 thumbs up.
cheers:1888fbbd:

Tim

Thanks a lot :)

Intrepid, where did you get your hood louvers? I've been looking for a pair for a while now. Do you suggest them for the hot-running 4.0 Cherokee?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz