Intro and converted HDJ80

Gifu

Observer
Over the past few years I've slowly become a diesel-nut. My first was a 1985 FJ60 that I swapped an Onan L634T (old old UPS truck engine) into. Was a nice little motor, but I wasn't totally satisfied. It actually pulled better then my friend Luke's 12HT-powered HJ61.
Cruiser's aside, I also bought a 1994 Dodge Cummins, 12-valve p-pump. With a 4” exhaust and a fuel-plate, that thing can get up and go. Also had a 1998 Mercedes E300 TurboDiesel, chipped it would chirp the tires in almost ever gear. It was faster then…well… it was fast.
Then, I decided I wanted a factory diesel. Next thing I know, I had a BJ70 converted to 13BT, cable lockers, longer wheelbase… think BJ74. This was nice… but soon I was on to a new project.
Then I started building a 4BT-powered 80. Well, most of the work was by Ken Hanna. I did all the research and parts gathering… he provided the head-scratching and (top-notch) work. The truck ended up similar to what Proffitt's builds… but a bit more work then the way they do it. The engine was level. The oil pan was modified to allow a standard height OME lift. We used a larger turbo. And the truck was converted to NV4500/Orion. It drives great, has terrific power, and having a 5-speed 80 series is sweet. Having 100:1 to crawl ration is awesome also. But… but the 4BT is just… loud. Looking back on it, I could have kept it and had some cool ideas for filling the inner fenders with foam and covering the valve cover and oil pan with sound deadening… but my friend was excited about it, so we worked out a deal… and I move on.

I looked at how much I had spent on the 4BT80, and even though the motor was only $900... everything else added up to the point that I realized I could have just done a factory diesel in the first place. So I started researching how I could build a factory diesel 80. I talked to wrecking yards in Oz, Specter (in person), G&S Cruisers, and Proffitt's. At one point I had a lead on a 1HDFT/H151 drivetrain for $8500. (Yeah, that's a lot of money, but I don't care. I want to build my dream truck. It's what makes me happy.). Anyway, one of the questions I had was how reliable the engine is, and how hard it is to get parts. So, I emailed a few people who had done this swap. Some guy in Berkeley who bought a converted 80, who works for Plant Drive. Sheldon at G&S. Then I stumbled on this guy on Mud, who 3 years ago had posted "starting my 1HDFT swap" blah blah blah, but then never really posted much else. So, I sent him and email "hey, did you like your truck, is it worth it, etc.".

So, this guy lives in Boulder. He bought a super clean 80 on eBay, then decided to do the 1HDFT with 5-speed H151 swap using Raymond Fourie (who, I don't think coverts trucks anymore) in Vancouver to do it all with factory parts. He then drove it for a few years... loving it. Through a series of events… his friend ended up with the truck. Truck and friend were residing on a Lakota reservation in S.Dakota.

So, Ryan and I talked for a few hours one day, and I dropped the hint that I'd be interested in buying the truck from his friend. Ryan talked to friend, and they thought it might be better for him to own a more standard truck (trying to get parts for a 1HDFT on Lakota reservation is probably not easy).

I flew out to Boulder one weekend and met with the Ryan and his friend. We worked out a deal, and soon I was on my 20 hour drive back to California. The truck, while built very well and using all factory parts… has seen some hard miles. Everything works... all the gauges, cruise control, etc. It has 3" exhaust, intercooler, and turned-up pump. It's sitting on 255 MT's (33x10.5), but otherwise stock.
I started by removing the front/rear damage enhancers, fender flares, roof rack, welded up the roof, and installed J springs and Slee-caster plates. After doing some math… I figured out that the timing belt has 130K miles at least. So, ordered up timing belt. When I took the timing belt cover off, I found the seal was missing and mud and grease was everywhere. So, I kept digging in, and cleaning up.
To date I have or am in the middle of:
rebuilt starter,
rebuilt turbo,
patched intercooler tubing (and soon will replumb),
removed main pulley to replace main seal.
Patched and painted cracked timing belt cover
Replaced alternator with Tundra 130A
Replaced radiator with copper unit
New water pump
Going to do the BEB as well.
And just cleaning cleaning cleaning. Took the whole interior out. Shampoo'd the headliner. Super clean inside now. Have pressure washed the motor, but now am slowly repainting what I can (block, valve-cover, etc.).

Waiting for a bunch of seals and such to show up from Japan4x4. I don't know where I'd be without Mr. Stedman. The 1HDFT motor doesn't share a whole lot of parts with North American Cruisers (ie: Canadian mine trucks).

This will soon be a long-range camping and wheeling truck. I'm running 285 all-terrain's on 16” steel wheels (from the 70 series). 4x4Labs rear bumper. Custom made front (don't like the ARB all that much). And probably going with the 3:1 gear from Marks'. Being a 5-speed, the gearing is not very forgiving, and I could use anything lower I can find. Right now I have 4x2.48x4.1= 40.6:1 The Mark's gears would get me to 49.2:1. Compared to my FJ46 (91:1), this is a far cry from a true rock-crawler… but it's a start.

Attachments

• IMG00095.jpg
    IMG00095.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 504
  • 2009_1_14 104.jpg
    2009_1_14 104.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:

Gifu

Observer
Sethro: I resemble that remark.

I'm already daydreaming about an Isuzu 4BD1T/NV4500/Orion powered FJ62 on 80-series axles/springs.

The HDJ80 is pretty dang sweet though, and the design of the 1HDFT is incredible; 24 valve; over-head cam; roller rockers; 24 separate intake runners.

headed to 4X4Labs tomorrow to get rear bumper.

oh, gringocl... those headlights are el cheapo aftermarket projectors. They are a nice replacement if yours on cracked and old, but they are plastic and lower quality. Mostly, I like the way they look.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Great story! How hard was it to register the 4bt 80 orHDJ80 in CA? Did you have any trouble?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Hey Brian,
Awesome man and congrats. I almost scored/traded for a 1HD-T a few years ago with Stedman. If you can find his address in Japan then mail him some Redman (chewing tobacco) as they don't sell it there and it makes him a happy camper :)

I hear you about the 4BT it is loud like a mid 90's Dodge. It made the same mistake with my 55 where is was that last 10% that really mades the difference with soundproofing etc. I didn't even bother until the second half but this time it is a big priority for me/100% committed. But the cost/performance/simplicity and reliability among other factors has made me stick with it. There is a new ISB3.9 I'm sure you're aware of. That would be awesome too. Cheers, A

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
WOW...just WOW. That is such an amazing truck man. Contrats and I will definatly be following this thread.

What I find so funny about all of this is the lengths that you have to go to in order to get something that is readily available basicly everywhere BUT here in the states. I think it's pretty lame that we can't get these amazing trucks here but this is the 1 millionth verse of a very long sad song we've all sung here on the boards.

Great truck, I just wish there were more of them here eh ;)

Cheers

Dave

PS: do you have any pics of your BJ74 or any of your other awesome trucks you've built in the past??? I too am somewhat of a diesel freak (although I don't currently have an oil burner) and your past vehicles sould like dream rigs to alot of us here.

Gifu

Observer
FJ45LV before reconstruction
FJ45LV_3.jpg

FJ45LV during reconstruction
fj45LV_2.jpg

The old V8J60 (TBI305, H55F, Mark's Gears, Alcan Springs.)
timex.jpg

The FJ46 Under construction
FJ46_2.jpg

The FJ46 mostly finished
FJ46.jpg

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Is it just my server at work??? I'm just seeing red X's... real bummer too, the tags alone are making me drool...

Cheers

Dave

Gifu

Observer
OK, finally figuring this out. Was feeling pretty dumb 20 minutes ago.
1985 FJ60 with BTB Springs, H55F, and Onan Turbo Diesel
L634T60_3.jpg

Onan L634T (aka Cummins 6A3.4T). This is a 3.4, IDI turbo diesel found in really old UPS trucks. Nice little motor, harder to find parts for these days.
L634T60_2.jpg

The FJ46 Before Transformation (FJ40 Form)
FJ46_3.jpg

1975 FJ40 (old school shot, helping SandCruiser with project, circa 2000)
my%20FJ40.jpg

1985 V8J60; 350/NV4500 painted Luner Mist Metallic
V8J60_2.jpg

the same FJ45LV after I sold it. Hard to believe this truck was on Rubicon, eh?
FJ45LV.jpg

1988 BJ70/74 (pict from PO)
BJ74.jpg

1995 B80 (beater 80) Stock with 33's... for sale!
beater80.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat