Intro from a new member

ShootingCar

Hi Everyone, I am a newbie to Land Cruiser ownership but not new to Off Road Vehicles. etc. I live in Central Wisconsin.

I just got my first Land Cruiser. It is a 2003 Series 100 in Silver Metallic with gray leather seats. I got it for $16,000 with 152,000 miles from a friend so it is a trusted vehicle. The only problems with it are that the check engine lights come on periodically due to the Evap Sensor and that the bottom of the tailgate and the horizontal spring for it are rusted.

I also have a 1969 Land Rover Series IIa - 88 that was restored/built by East Coast Rovers with both the hard and soft tops, but I run the soft all the time. It has a warn winch, ARB lockers all around, roll bar, rear forward facing seat, and a five speed. It is my man-toy.

I grew up big game hunting with my late dad, going to Africa, out west and Alaska on hunts. My dad was a fine and custom gun collector, of which I have some really nice custom rifles and classic double barrel shotguns. I rode in Land Rovers and Land Cruisers in Africa and have had a place in my heart for them for a long time. The Land Rover was my vehicle that I always wanted. I love it.

I am an avid bird hunter with an aging English Springer Spaniel and a young Gordon Setter puppy and hunt grouse and woodcock with my English double barrel shotguns. I am also a fly fisherman but don't get out fishing much anymore due to being self employed. I am into bamboo fly rods and made my own graphic blanked four weight Orvis blank and used to tie my own flies and leaders.

I also enjoy shooting a classic 1911 Colt Combat Commander and got into that last summer.

I got the Land Cruiser for a company truck and my primary bird hunting vehicle. The Land Rover is more tractor than road vehicle to get to hunting spots since it doesn't go more than 50 and it doesn't lock. I got a truck vault for the LC now and will work to outfit the rear end with my dog crates, etc. for that purpose. It is stock and has street tires on it right now. As I have the Land Rover outfitted with winch, ARB, etc. I will probably just keep the LC for my road vehicle.

I am currently getting an average of 17.2 mpg on it and love the LC as it is the nicest car or truck I have had.

Let me know if I can help any of you with my back ground.

best regards,
Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_3659.jpg
    IMG_3659.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 23
  • PB240032.jpg
    PB240032.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 23

Sardog1

Observer
Welcome to the forum Jeff. Sounds like you've done some interesting adventures in places most of us dream about!

Last edited:

whatroad

Observer
Hello Jeff,

Your series truck is great! It's riding on coil springs instead of leafs as well. I always enjoyed driving that around the shop before it was sold. :sombrero:

ShootingCar

Thanks Whatroad. I assume you are with ECR. I am very lucky to have gotten it. Truthfully I am not worthy of the abilities of my 88.

whatroad

Observer
I was for several years, but am off doing my own thing now. Glad you like the 88. Good luck with it !

ShootingCar

Thanks for the compliment

I love that commercial and joked about that regarding my nephew the other day fishing for sharks. No, I am not that cool. But thanks for the compliment.

Sempertoy

Explorer
I love that commercial and joked about that regarding my nephew the other day fishing for sharks. No, I am not that cool. But thanks for the compliment.

haha no problem.

Congrats on the new 100 series. These have been on my mind a lot lately, especially after my trek to Moab UT and back. After 3,000 miles on the road I was starting to see the light of the ifs world. Hopefully in a couple years, I can retire my 80 from DD duties and pick up a nice clean hundy. Good year too, I think that was the first year with the 5 spd.

fireball

Explorer
Congrats on the purchase! I wish I would've waited and got a 03+ or even an 06+. The 4 speed with big tires and loads of gear isn't quite as peppy as it was 2 tire sizes and 800# of bolt-ons ago!

peneumbra

Explorer
Congratulations on getting an LC.
Please load it up with cheese curds and bring them to Flagstaff, OK?
No big hurry - any time next week will be fine...

ShootingCar

I would love to take it to Flagstaff but the curds may be rank by then. Our local factory will ship them. Let me know if you need the number in the meantime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman