Introduction and Ambo Conversion Plans

TheRealPapaK

Hello everyone, I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks and reading all the ambulance conversion threads I could find. I am looking at converting an ambulance into a camper that my wife lives in part time as her job has her working in different city than we live in.

As a back story, we had an old 31' Winnebago chieftain that I used for work. It was too big to be practical but we had a lot of fun touring in that thing. We sold it 4 years ago but had talked about how we would like to have something similar but smaller. My wife wanted to do a van but I thought it would be too small. After she rented a van and did a trip down to SoCal with her sister, she let me know it wasn't too small and that she wanted todo it. After looking at van classifieds, I was blown away at the cost of used cargo vans. At that point I saw a used ambulance being advertised and that got me thinking. A few google searches later took me to this website and gave me the validation I needed.

I am currently looking at an auction that starts at the beginning of May. We originally going to to a fast and dirty conversion but the Acetech "brain has been removed and I will have to wire an entirely new electrical system so I figured I might as well gut the entire unit and add some insulation and raise the roof. I'm playing with the idea of adding a cab-over bunk if I'm cutting the roof anyway. In my mind, I will raise the roof up to the bunk and have the back slope down to almost normal height. Has anyone done a rain water collection system on something like this? Not that it's a huge deal to find water to refill the fresh water but if it can make you self sufficient for a while longer, it might be worth looking at down the road. I've attached a sketch of what I'm thinking. I think the sloped down roof will also be more aerodynamic.

I was initially thinking of skipping the inverter and running off 12V only but I had an idea to have a split phase inverter and have it hooked up to a large furnace fan with filtered air. The reason I want to do this is when we have camped in the desert previously, dust would fill the camper every time the door was opened. If I could have the fan kick on when the door light was triggered I am envisioning positive air keeping the dust out. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Anyhow, I'm looking for any tips or suggestions anyone might have. Products you liked, things you would do differently etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 4.50.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 4.50.47 PM.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 21

iggi

Ian
If you're doing to do a full gut and rebuild then buying the one you're looking at seems reasonable. However, if time is any sort of constraint then I'd get a different ambulance that has a complete functioning electrical system. Getting mine ready for the first road trip was simple as plugging in the electrical cooler and tossing a sleeping pad and mattress in. Adding solar, a folding bed/couch, sink, etc was pretty quick.

TheRealPapaK

If you're doing to do a full gut and rebuild then buying the one you're looking at seems reasonable. However, if time is any sort of constraint then I'd get a different ambulance that has a complete functioning electrical system. Getting mine ready for the first road trip was simple as plugging in the electrical cooler and tossing a sleeping pad and mattress in. Adding solar, a folding bed/couch, sink, etc was pretty quick.

Thanks for the info. Originally we wanted something quicker but with coronavirus, we have a lot of time at home in the foreseeable future which has leaned us towards the gut job.

I have another question. The rounded roof corners of most ambulances, are those fibreglass or are they an aluminum piece?

Abitibi

Explorer
Sounds like you guys are committed to a great build! Lots of interesting ideas but don't forget to keep it simple at the same time :)

When designing your ambo keep in mind ease of servicing (ie. if your water tank leaks, will you be able to easily replace it or fix the leaky hose connections?). Think about all your outside attachments (awning, ladder, roof rack, lights...) and plan where the mounting bolts will be. These ambo's are well built and might as well use it to your advantage. Mount your accessories through the 2x2 aluminum studs, stronger... etc.

But regardless you can't really go wrong with an ambo :)

Have fun!
David

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

TheRealPapaK

Well it took me a few months longer than I planned but I just brought this cherry 2014 GMC 4500 home. 173,000km (106,000mi) on the Duramax. I'm really excited I got the GMC as it drives like a dream. On the road it feels it's about a 1/3rd of it's actual size. I'm going to start gutting and will probably start a dedicated build thread.

Once it is down to the studs,I'm going to decide what to do but I'm leaning towards building the cab over sleeper bunk and raising the roof. If anyone has any plans for a truck bed camper that would have a design for the cab bunk I'd appreciate looking at it!

Anyhow that's it for now. Id love to hear your thoughts on what you wish you knew at this stage in the game

IMG_4053.jpg
IMG_4052 2.jpg

IMG_4063 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4063 2.jpg
    IMG_4063 2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

reefski

Well it took me a few months longer than I planned but I just brought this cherry 2014 GMC 4500 home. 173,000km (106,000mi) on the Duramax. I'm really excited I got the GMC as it drives like a dream. On the road it feels it's about a 1/3rd of it's actual size. I'm going to start gutting and will probably start a dedicated build thread.

Once it is down to the studs,I'm going to decide what to do but I'm leaning towards building the cab over sleeper bunk and raising the roof. If anyone has any plans for a truck bed camper that would have a design for the cab bunk I'd appreciate looking at it!

Anyhow that's it for now. Id love to hear your thoughts on what you wish you knew at this stage in the game

View attachment 608469

Did your ambulance come with those white lens caps on the light bar or did you buy them after? If so where did you buy them from? I've been looking and the Whelen clear caps are expensive.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Did your ambulance come with those white lens caps on the light bar or did you buy them after? If so where did you buy them from? I've been looking and the Whelen clear caps are expensive.
Most use white paint. Inside and out.

Yeah... clear prices suck.

TheRealPapaK

Mine were painted. Too bad, I threw them all out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3