iPad as tool for serious photography

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/appleipad2/

Does the iPad offer useful tools for the photo enthusiast? DP Review's answer is a qualified "yes." While the iPad is not a good choice for photographers who wish to process many RAW files, it's useful in many other ways.

There are many photo applications for the iPad; most cost only a few dollars. The review mentions 20 apps worth checking out. The author concludes,

"For every one of the iPad's slightly annoying limitations, it is almost guaranteed that someone, somewhere can provide a solution."

Honu

lost on the mainland
Nice preview tool I guess but can't see doing to much would just wait till I got home and work on my images

Might use it to offload some images onto also in a pinch

I did get the camera connector kit for fun might use some of the other live style preview setups foot commercial shoots to see what I am getting instead of my laptop Much like a modern Polaroid proof :) instead of tethering the laptop as that requires a second tripod so had the idea of a simple clamp mount instead
Also I use C1 going to try their aps and a few other in their honorable mention areas for previews
When shooting tethered would be nice to keep them away from me a bit :)
Have not done this or played with this yet but going to try later :)

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks for posting this Chip. Now that I am using the Air, I just dont see ever using the iPad again. The Air has become the killer app for this type of travel (for me at least).

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Thanks for posting this Chip. Now that I am using the Air, I just dont see ever using the iPad again. The Air has become the killer app for this type of travel (for me at least).

Trying to find out what app your talking about here and what it can do for you?

haven

Expedition Leader
No doubt, the MacBook Air or similar Windows machines (best example, the new Samsung 9 Series) can handle a wider range of photo editing tasks, as well as general computing tasks, than the iPad can. And the keyboard/mouse interface is more productive (read: faster) than the "finger on the touchscreen" approach of the iPad.

So if you have to choose a single device for your field computer, then an ultra-portable laptop like the Air is an excellent choice.

The Air is better in most ways, but that doesn't mean the iPad is not useful. In my recent travels, I came to appreciate the iPad's almost instant power on for quick map lookup, checks of email, and uploads of photos taken. The iPad's small size make it easy to use in a car or airline seat, times when even a laptop as small as the Air can be a bit ungainly.

I also like the inexpensive price tag of most iPad applications. It makes it much less painful to experiment.

For anyone doing serious video production, there is a hardware/app set that uses the iPad as a teleprompter. The stuff costs about four times what the iPad itself costs and requires the use of a Chrosziel rod set costing even more. But it makes a great lightweight teleprompter. The one I own and use weighs a ton, has to have AC, a heavy tripod, and a laptop. It's tempting to buy the iPad just for that.

ywen

Explorer
ipad + serious is an oxymoron.

For anyone doing serious photography, i.e. for a paying client. Unless it's news or tabloid, there is no need for immediate return of photos where you need to carry a computer with you.

If there is such a need, even a netbook loaded with actual photography related software is infinitely more useful than the iPad. Dpreview is just jumpin' on the badwagon because anything article that's Apple related will generate traffic.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I think the ipad is an intriguing tool for photographers and has a lot of potential, but that potential has not quite fully materialized yet. The beautiful IPS display, (better than the Air) and tactile interaction of the ipad makes it a really great, and unique, display option. If sharing and displaying photos is your priority then I would say that the ipad is tough to beat. Of course if productivity is your priority then any run of the mill laptop/netbook will beat the ipad. If the ipad could run even a light version of Aperture or LR I think it would be infinitely more attractive as a photographic tool. That said, I don't think I'd be doing any serious editing on screen as small as 9", 11" or even 13".

Honu

lost on the mainland
ipad + serious is an oxymoron.

For anyone doing serious photography, i.e. for a paying client. Unless it's news or tabloid, there is no need for immediate return of photos where you need to carry a computer with you.

If there is such a need, even a netbook loaded with actual photography related software is infinitely more useful than the iPad. Dpreview is just jumpin' on the badwagon because anything article that's Apple related will generate traffic.

I take it you mean final images ?
That I agree with for sure

For immediacy of shooting tethered laptops or other depending on shoot previews are very important for some
For various reasons from checking what you are really getting to art directors wanting to see the shot and others

Most of the commercial work I used to do required tethering before the computer days it was tougher longer with polaroids and use a loupe :)
Shooting tethered is great :)

ywen

Explorer
ah yes i wasn't thinking about tethered shooting.. if the ipad can accommodate that in some way, then i guess it's useful as tethering soln.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I know some that shoot tethered for large stationary jobs but they usually use a larger laptop. I get annoyed anytime I have to stay within the realm of what my wireless trigger will do for lights lol. Which is one reason why I have cut the number of shoots I do. I much prefer wildlife and nature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater