Is anyone running 16" or 17" Alloy wheels and skinny 33's?

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
Ive been feeling the itch to find some stock Alloys, Moab, XJ, ZJ Wheels and run a narrow 33 or I believe a 285 in metric. I love skinny tires and with a low COG should be great with the XJ. Im not a huge rock crawler and don't like the look of 12.50. Too much tire to move and they just don't fit inside the wheel wells very well.

Thoughts Ideas?>

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I run 33x10.50 BFG A/T's on stock 15in alloys and a buddy runs the same tire in the 33x9.50 size on steel 15x7 inch wheels for our winter tires. I wouldn't run a 12.50 width in the snow and ice. But, I do need to run a spacer with the stock wheels to keep the tires from rubbing the long arms, wasn't an issue on my other Jeep though with the short adjustable arms. Unless someone sees a lot of mud there isn't much need for wider than 10.50.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Toy makes some nice tall skinny, but 18s. I found a set of Sahara alloys in 18, and ran a set of 285/75-18 which are 35/11.50 and liked them- wish I could find a skinny 37 M/T...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I had 255/85-16 BFG KM2s on my JK for 10,000 miles but they slid like crazy on rain-wet pavement. BFG pro-rated a return and I mounted 285/75-16 Cooper Discoverer STTs and was much happier.

I have 295/70-17 on my truck right now; same Cooper STTs, same degree of satisfaction.

LowBudget

GPS Man
I run 33x10.50 BFG AT's on my '06 LJ. I love that size, I do not like the look of 12.5's. I had BFG MT's prior to these, same size. I am running them on the stock 15's but they can be had in your rim sizes as well. I would run 9.50's but I couldnt find them taller than 32" and that would be too short for my lift. Tall skinnys are the only way to go IMO.

JPK

Explorer
Until I sold it a couple of months ago I ran the original BFG M/T's in 255/85R16 E's (10"x33") on my LJ on stock Moab wheels. Good combo but an LJ doesn't need E rated tires.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
and there are the SST by Interco, 35/10.50-17, but read the size chart as it is really equivalent to the 285 in width. I am considering these if I opt out of my 37 KM2s. Also allows use of factory wheels...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
and there are the SST by Interco, 35/10.50-17, but read the size chart as it is really equivalent to the 285 in width. I am considering these if I opt out of my 37 KM2s. Also allows use of factory wheels...
I wouldn't use those on the street, Dale...

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I run 33x10.50 BFG AT's on my '06 LJ. I love that size, I do not like the look of 12.5's. I had BFG MT's prior to these, same size. I am running them on the stock 15's but they can be had in your rim sizes as well. I would run 9.50's but I couldnt find them taller than 32" and that would be too short for my lift. Tall skinnys are the only way to go IMO.

Did you ask or look very hard, or just believed your local undereducated and underpaid tire installer? As I stated above, BFG makes them http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/size/lthigh flotation/33/9.50/15/tires

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I meant SSRs, sorry- and I used them on my 90 for years in the 35/10.50-16. Great mud, rock, and all around offroad, not bad on road first 30k miles(got noisy after that), siped, etc. I also ran a bigger set on my H1 and was well pleased there as well- need to try them before knocking them ;-)

I must apologize- I got completely off topic looking for tall skinny, and omitted the 33", very sorry...

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
All of the tires I've seen from Interco have been hard to balance and got flat spots in them on cold nights. Every owner I've known have complained about the on the street but have always done well offroad, especially in mud.
Stumpy was especially vocal about the 33" TrXus set he had.

I did wheel with two Jeepers with the SSRs and they ran circles around me in the mud when I had the MTR/kevlars.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I ran a set of the SSR's a few years back and would do it again, but the only time they saw pavement was in Moab so I can't really say how they do over 60mph.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I will never own another Interco product. In this day and age the crappiness of their tires (out of balance) is inexcusable.

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
Wow lots of good info here! I know my buddy who is on this forum has a 11.50 33 Yoko Geolander Ats but in metric and really likes them so far. I see no need for a fat super wide tire for a narrow wheelbase vehicle. I wanted to stick with 15,16,or 17 anything bigger and the cost goes way up. 16" is cheaper than a 15 and a 17 is cheaper than most 16's? BFG does make a skinny 33 but not in a 9.5 I think 10.5 is the skinniest and if you go to Americas Tire Co they will tell you BFG doesn't make the tire anymore which is total bs.
Head great things on the Nitto Teragrapplers
I am on my 2nd set of BFG AT's and love them but really don't need the heavy duty sidewall. They did work great towing a heavy double axle trailer today.

I would buy tires from http://www.onlinetires.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy