Is the Pro 4x Worth it?

lizardking

I have worked on enough trucks to know that a locker install is not really an easy thing, but it is not exactly a difficult thing either. The lights seem a little gimmicky to me and considering I would want to ditch the rack, of really no consequence.

So, if I read this correctly, a 6MT S is the best place to start as it would have the D44 rear?

I would agree with that! But I am a serious manual transmission fanatic... And it reality it might not be that hard to find a junkyard m226 w/ e locker to swap in and keep your stock one as a spare. It is a direct bolt in. You would just need to wire the switch.

Tinfish

Observer
The Pro4X was worth it to me, but I was buying it new and plan to keep the suspension stock. If you are going to to rework the entire suspension etc, then I'm not sure what the benefit is from it other than the locker. The stock Pro4x tires (Rugged Trails) are terrible, though I doubt the lower model tires are any better.

skibum315

Explorer
I'll side with others in affirming your desire to look for a 6MT S model ... but only because you're looking to modify it. If you weren't interested in that, then the P4X would be worth the premium; and yes, X is base ... S should be one step up.

I've got an '08 Offroad (they changed the branding of the model lineup at some point and the OR is equivalent to the P4X), but it was only after I had it that I started aquiring upgrade parts ... if I could go back to my 2008 self, I'd probably be a few grand ahead ... but like someone else said, maybe I wouldn't have done some of the things with my truck (in stock form) that made me want to start building it.

TacPen

Ok, so I actually have an Xterra S, an FJ Team Trails and a JK (sadly, the 3.8L). Here are my thoughts:

The Xterra is definitely the most practical vehicle. The motor is great, the transmission is ok and it's great around town and excellent on the highways (except that the stock gearing sucks for bigger tires). Off-road (mine has 32's and a 2" lift) it's ok. It was the first vehicle I off-roaded and while it does alright it doesn't have the same chops as the FJ or the Jeep. It hangs with the FJ for the most part, it just has to work harder. That said, it's still pretty decent and has by far the most practical features. Also, after 120K miles it's been bulletproof reliable, even better than my 2 year old FJ.

With the FJ I already knew I wanted the locker so I got the Trail Teams. The visibility blows. The rear doors are terrible and it has no more space than the Xterra even though it looks bigger. Thing is, completely stock it will out-wheel my 2" lifted Xterra (even without using the locker or A-TRAC). Still pretty good around town. My wife hates it though and refuses to drive it preferring the Xterra.

The JK is fantastic off-road. Mine has a 2.5" lift and 35s and it is in a completely different league than the other two (especially on the rocks or harder trails). In fact, my buddy sold his modded FJ and bought a Rubicon (now with a 3.5" lift and 35's) after wheeling with me. Here's the downside though, it completely sucks on-road. Driving it on a road trip makes me want to flip it over and pee on it. It's loud, loose, can barely get out of its own way up hills with the 3.8L (yes, it's re-geared to 4.88) and has by far the crappiest build quality of the three. It's just embarrassing how sh!tty that thing is built. Still, the basic mechanics are solid and it won't quit running or strand you. It can also take a heck of a beating off-road and comes apart like it's made of Legos. Aftermarket support is just amazing. You can pick up spare axles at Walgreens (well... not quite). If it died on me today, I'd go out and get another one tomorrow. It's that much fun off-road. The new 3.6L JKU still drives like crap and is still loud, but at least the interior is nicer and it can make it up a hill without running out of steam. My buddy loves his.

So where does that leave us? Well, my Xterra is a bit long in the tooth and my wife (after test driving a Grand Cherokee and 4Runner) has decided that she just wants another Xterra. After having done this once already we'll be getting her a Pro4X for the gearing and locker. She knows she wants a 2.5" lift with 33s and for most trails, that'll do just fine. Plus, it's a hell of a lot nicer to drive to the trail.

My vote, spring for the Pro4X if you can afford it, even if you know you're going to dump the suspension. The M226 and e-locker are worth it and they're hard to find and pricey when you do.

Last edited:

Strizzo

Explorer
I would agree with that! But I am a serious manual transmission fanatic... And it reality it might not be that hard to find a junkyard m226 w/ e locker to swap in and keep your stock one as a spare. It is a direct bolt in. You would just need to wire the switch.

not exactly drop-in, the axle shaft on one side is different between the locker/no-locker axles.

I don't know what it is about internet car forums, but the stock tires are just fine and give a good balance between road manners and offroad capability.

TacPen - i'm curious what it is about the stock FJ that makes you say it out-wheels the lifted xterra, since on paper they're pretty similar. is it the locker that makes the difference, in which case its an apples/oranges comparison.

i agree with the comments on the wrangler driving on-road. we rented 6 JKs in moab this year and ran elephant hill, they were great on the trail but sucked on the 2 hour drive to/from the trailhead.

Viggen

Just here...
TacPen - i'm curious what it is about the stock FJ that makes you say it out-wheels the lifted xterra, since on paper they're pretty similar. is it the locker that makes the difference, in which case its an apples/oranges comparison.

I would imagine multi link rear w/ coils vs. leaf springs. Coils make a big difference

Strizzo

Explorer
I would imagine multi link rear w/ coils vs. leaf springs. Coils make a big difference

unencumbered i'm sure they do, but both vehicles have front and rear sway bars, which will be the limiting factor on articulation. a 2 inch lift on an xterra and removing the rear sway should be more flexy than an FJ that still has the rear sway i'd imagine.

as an example, with rear sway, 2" spacer/AAL:

same spacer/AAL without rear sway:

and rear sway, no front sway:

Ripper

Adventurer
And it reality it might not be that hard to find a junkyard m226 w/ e locker to swap in and keep your stock one as a spare.

Actually it was a pain in the *** to find one. And they cost more than the locker. The closest one to me in MA was in NC I think, and it was $1200.

Viggen

Just here...
unencumbered i'm sure they do, but both vehicles have front and rear sway bars, which will be the limiting factor on articulation. a 2 inch lift on an xterra and removing the rear sway should be more flexy than an FJ that still has the rear sway i'd imagine.

Anything will flex better, coil or leaf spring, without a sway bar. I would imagine that the XTerra would flex even better with a full leaf spring packs instead of add a leafs.

Sangster

Adventurer
I have a Frontier, but mechanically the same as the Xterra. mine is Nismo, but same thing as Pro-4X. I have 250k miles on my factory locked rear m226 with a LOT of HARD offroad miles. 35's and a Lokka locker in the front end. If I could keep from snapping front CV axle shafts (3 snapped in the past 2 months), the thing would be perfect.

With all that said....if I had to do it all over again and knew how much I would be modding it.....I wouldn't have paid the extra for the Nismo/Pro4x. I would either get a manual with the M226 and put an ARB in it...or get the automatic (I prefer this offroad) and swap an unlocked M226 in, add ARB and 4.56 gears for my 35's. So...i concur....if you're going to mod it, get an S with 6 speed and put an ARB in the rear M226.

Strizzo

Explorer
Anything will flex better, coil or leaf spring, without a sway bar. I would imagine that the XTerra would flex even better with a full leaf spring packs instead of add a leafs.

um, yeah but i was responding to the statement that a stock FJ trail teams will "out wheel" a lifted xterra. i have a feeling that the opinion that the FJ is better is mostly just that, opinion.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I don't think its a matter of 'opinion'.....The fj and 5th gen have more suspension travel than the x does, and all things being equal, they will always 'wheel' better because of it.

libarata

Expedition Leader
"I don't think its a matter of 'opinion'"

Would you mind showing some numbers? Without numbers, it remains an opinion.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
"I don't think its a matter of 'opinion'"

Would you mind showing some numbers? Without numbers, it remains an opinion.

Not trying to sound like a ********, but just becuase you don't know the answer doesn't make it an opinion. It just means you're ignorant to the facts. In your defense, the numbers are a bit elusive and take time to find. Some of this is based on measurements people have taken and some with conversations with NissTec and RadFlo.

Using the fronts as an example, the stock Xterra shocks have a stroke of 4". Given the width of the control arms, we get about a 1:1.5 ratio of shock stroke to wheel travel ratio. So on a stock travel suspension, we get roughly 6" of wheel travel. Going to a radflo "extended travel" shock only nets about another inch of shock stroke, for a travel at the wheel of approximately 7.5-8".

The FJ cruiser, on the other hand, has roughly 6" of SHOCK STROKE in stock form. Basic long travel suspension set ups for FJ's have over 11" of travel at the wheel.

Those are the best/seemingly most reliable numbers I have been able to find based on posted actual measurements and conversations with nisstec and radflo. If someone has better numbers, I'd (genuinely) like to see them.....

The bottom line is the suspension of the Xterra was designed for the road. Not to articulate. The X will never perform as well as the Toyota's do without doing a titan front end swap and custom length, long travel rear shocks. Doesn't bother some folks, which great, its a functional option. I don't really want to incur the time/expense of a titan swap, or have the mini monster truck look of the wheels sticking out 3" past the fenders.

Its a reality that sucks. Had I known this up front (or had it even occurred to me to check) I never would have bought the Xterra. Watching my truck on the trail vs my buddy's FJ is an outright depressing spectacle when you compare the obstacle clearance and articulation of the trucks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven