Is the Toyota Land Cruiser based on the Tundra or Tacoma?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Wrong. It's originally based on the FJ40. The suspension and other parts incorporate parts of other Toyota models.

The concept may have looked fj40ish. But the truck was far from fj40. The fj and the 4Runner use the same engine tranny tcase, well complete drivetrain. They have the Same suspension. The only difference is the body and the frame is shorter. That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Yes, the 2007+ Tundra, 2008+ Sequoia are based on the 200 Series Land Cruiser.

The 100 Series chassis was never used for anything but the 100 Land Cruiser.

T100 shares much with the 86 - 95 truck and 4-Runner.

2000 - 2006 Tundras are somewhat Tacoma based.

Pretty sure the new sequoia has irs. The wheel base is different. I'm sure there is more differences but I don't feel like looking it up.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 100 series of Land Cruiser are incredibly well built. They were designed for severe use in hostile conditions with very little maintenance. The only real "cross pollination" of these vehicles is the 105 series which is an 80 series chassis and running gear, with a 100 series body. (The Lexus LX450 and 470 are dressed up 80 and 100 series). The durability of these models are why they are used by the UN, NGOs and military around the world.

The 90 and 120 series or "Prado" are both light duty "civilian" based Land Cruisers intended for use in a much more casual environment. They are not built to the same spec as the series listed above. The FJ Cruiser, Lexus GX470 and current 4Runner are all based on this platform. They are great trucks, but definetly not in the same league as the aforementioned series.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I'm glad it was stated that the other models are based off the Land Cruiser... I was about to wig out when I saw "the 100 series is based off of....." Correct me if I'm worng but I believe that Land Cruiser is the longest (continuous) running model of Toyota still in production? (since 1951)

gkcarmory

Observer
The 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 100 series of Land Cruiser are incredibly well built. They were designed for severe use in hostile conditions with very little maintenance. The only real "cross pollination" of these vehicles is the 105 series which is an 80 series chassis and running gear, with a 100 series body. (The Lexus LX450 and 470 are dressed up 80 and 100 series). The durability of these models are why they are used by the UN, NGOs and military around the world.

The 90 and 120 series or "Prado" are both light duty "civilian" based Land Cruisers intended for use in a much more casual environment. They are not built to the same spec as the series listed above. The FJ Cruiser, Lexus GX470 and current 4Runner are all based on this platform. They are great trucks, but definetly not in the same league as the aforementioned series.

Hands down one of the best explanations... Thanks. Makes total since!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gkcarmory

Observer
I'm glad it was stated that the other models are based off the Land Cruiser... I was about to wig out when I saw "the 100 series is based off of....." Correct me if I'm worng but I believe that Land Cruiser is the longest (continuous) running model of Toyota still in production? (since 1951)

SOO..... Someone riddle me this... 105 series... Still being produced every where but in the states? My understanding is that it is basically a 100 series but with a live front axle and diesel option.
Correct me if I am wrong again... Thanks in advance!!!

Edit... Got it its an 80(live axles). I was more going for diesel option and if they still produce them around the world

Pokey

Adventurer
Terrorists prefer Landcruisers.

If you want to roll around wreaking havoc on the world.....and you are constantly fighting reliability issues, holding fatwahs down at the Landrover master mechanics shop who is up to his ears in work......you just arent likely to be getting your message across.

Theres a reason successful terrorist groups in Landrrovers are never seen on CNN:victory:

Last edited:

gkcarmory

Observer
Terrorists prefer Landcruisers.

If you want to roll around wreaking havoc on the world.....and you are constantly fighting reliability issues, holding fatwahs down at the Landrover master mechanics shop who is up to his ears in work......you just arent likely to be getting your message across.

Theres a reason successful terrorist groups in Landrrovers are never seen on CNN:victory:

Lol

Box Rocket

Wrong. It's originally based on the FJ40. The suspension and other parts incorporate parts of other Toyota models.

Actually that's wrong. The FJCruiser styling was influenced by the FJ40 but that's it. Chassis and platform are more or less from the GX/4Runner with some changes.

This is a good explanation. The Cruiser has always been a stand-alone platform. Even the new Tundra and Sequoia (although they have some similarities) are not based on the 200 series Cruiser.

Sherman134

Observer
So does part interchangeability exist at all between the various models of land cruiser? I know for my Cherokee,parts can be swapped between almost any solid axle jeep produced from 1984-2006 . Between all models, The engine, transmissions, and transfer cases are all swappable, the TJ LJ XJ ZJ and to a limited extent the WJ all have interchangeable coil sprung suspension components, many of which when swapped out provide an upgrade over what was equipped with other models. Does anything like this exist between Land Cruisers or Toyotas in general?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I've grown up with Jeeps

Box Rocket

So does part interchangeability exist at all between the various models of land cruiser? I know for my Cherokee,parts can be swapped between almost any solid axle jeep produced from 1984-2006 . Between all models, The engine, transmissions, and transfer cases are all swappable, the TJ LJ XJ ZJ and to a limited extent the WJ all have interchangeable coil sprung suspension components, many of which when swapped out provide an upgrade over what was equipped with other models. Does anything like this exist between Land Cruisers or Toyotas in general?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I've grown up with Jeeps

There are a number of small parts that could be interchangeable. For instance, on older FJ40's that upgrade to rear disc brakes, many people will use a brake master cylinder from an 80 series cruiser. Rear coils can be swapped between 80 series and 100 series cruisers. Leaf springs on FJ40s and FJ55s can be swapped with minor mods. Most of the early inline 6 motors can be swapped as long as the supporting accessories/harness are present. For instance the early 1F motor can be upgraded to the later 2F, and some have even swapped the fuel injected 3F into earlier cruisers with minor mods.
Toyota minitruck disc brakes can be added to early drum brake cruiser front axles.
So there is some interchangeability but nothing to the extent that you describe with the Jeeps.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
There are a number of small parts that could be interchangeable. For instance, on older FJ40's that upgrade to rear disc brakes, many people will use a brake master cylinder from an 80 series cruiser. Rear coils can be swapped between 80 series and 100 series cruisers. Leaf springs on FJ40s and FJ55s can be swapped with minor mods. Most of the early inline 6 motors can be swapped as long as the supporting accessories/harness are present. For instance the early 1F motor can be upgraded to the later 2F, and some have even swapped the fuel injected 3F into earlier cruisers with minor mods.
Toyota minitruck disc brakes can be added to early drum brake cruiser front axles.
So there is some interchangeability but nothing to the extent that you describe with the Jeeps.

Well trannies from the 40 to the 80 can be swapped and have been used around the world on each. That's the 1960s thru the 90s. There is a lot of parts that can be swapped. I know 80s have had 60s tcases swapped into them. And vice versa.

Box Rocket

Well trannies from the 40 to the 80 can be swapped and have been used around the world on each. That's the 1960s thru the 90s. There is a lot of parts that can be swapped. I know 80s have had 60s tcases swapped into them. And vice versa.

Yes. My post was not intended to be a comprehensive list of swappable parts, but just a few examples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven