Is there a vin decoder to tell me if an LR3 has the hd package?

expoxj

Adventurer
I'm looking at getting an LR3 in the near future and unfortunately I have no Rover dealers near me, nor do I want to call and have them run vins every 5 mins as I'm looking at different lr3s. So what I was wondering is if anyone knows of any easy way to tell from just the vin. I've seen a post on google from like 3 years ago about downloading microcat but it isn't working for me. Any ideas would be appreciated.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Options are included in the vin with LRs. At least I've been able to see all the options on my personal vehicle with the system we use.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
The best that I can figure out is that LR keeps a database of all the options for each VIN. This is so a dealer can install/reinstall/update the proper software for various components. Specifically the instrument cluster because that's where all the settings are stored.

So, the VIN itself is pretty meaningless, but the VIN combined with access to the database should tell you exactly how it left the factory. I'm not sure exactly how many forms the database comes, but it is at least part of the diagnostic computer/tool.

perkj

Explorer
I have the Landrover Electronic Part Catalog software installed on my laptop at home and as a part of it when you enter the VIN it'll display the entire build sheet for that VIN. Feel free to shoot me the VINs and I'll tell you if its got the HD package or not. I've done this for several folks on some of the other LR forums.

When I was in search of my LR3 with HD package, I didn't have the software and called my local LR dealer on a near daily basis for them to check VINs for whether they had the HD package or not.

expoxj

Adventurer
Currently sort of looking at these three.

SALAE25456A389744

SALAA25495A300851

SALAD25485A319835

spikemd

Explorer
full size spare

All HD packages have a full size spare. Check under the truck for it and you will know.

expoxj

Adventurer
Where I live I'm looking at trucks 4-5 hours away. Hard to get a salesmen on the phone to do that.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Currently sort of looking at these three.

SALAE25456A389744

SALAA25495A300851

SALAD25485A319835

Never looked up VINs for this info before, but from what it APPEARED to be..

1st - Locked
2nd - open rear diff
3rd - No info, only tells me it's a LHD V8

Dmarchand

Adventurer
All HD packages have a full size spare. Check under the truck for it and you will know.

That can be a little deceptive, not all trucks with full size spares are HD. You can also have them send you a pic of the off road screen to determine if you have a lock icon on the rear axle.

Mack73

Adventurer
You can also have them send you a pic of the off road screen to determine if you have a lock icon on the rear axle.

Not true. When looking for mine, several I looked at were not HD but had the lock on the rear axle on the screen. It always showed "unlocked" - since you can't force the diff to lock without being in a situation where the computer says to lock it, there's no easy test to run.

Honestly the only real way is to look under it and look for the diff lock motor on the diff.

expoxj

Adventurer
Good on that first one because its the cheapest. And it's white, the color I'm looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven