Is there a vin decoder to tell me if an LR3 has the hd package?

unseenone

Explorer
The only way to know for sure is to get underneath it and check for the locker motor itself, it takes just a moment. What you are checking for is the silver bit in this picture.

perkj

Explorer
you can also simply call any Land Rover Dealership's Service department and they will gladly run a VIN check to see if the VIN has the HD package. When I was searching for my LR3 with HD the LR Dealership in San Jose, CA must have check well over 100 VINs for me over a 3-4 month period.

This makes it easy weed out any non-HD LR3 before going to physically look at it.

t42beal13t

Adventurer
Bump. I'm ready to get another LR3 and the HD package would be nice. Is there a string in the VIN that signifies the HD package?

unseenone

Explorer
No, but as previously pointed out, you can call a dealer, or get underneath it easily and look. If it has a doughnut spare it most likely does not. Some SE did have it, as well as the HSE. There's quite a few around, but the non-locker is more prevalent.

aek50

Adventurer
Depending on how you are searching too, in some websites like Autotrader just put in "heavy duty package" in the search field and it will pull up all the trucks listed as having the heavy duty package installed. You will still want to verify that the truck listed does in fact have the package and locker as advertised but it is a quicker way to source available vehicles. That is how I recently found my LR4. Currently on Autotrader it shows 13 LR4s 2010-13 listed, which was my search criteria.

zelatore

Explorer
Depending on how you are searching too, in some websites like Autotrader just put in "heavy duty package" in the search field and it will pull up all the trucks listed as having the heavy duty package installed. You will still want to verify that the truck listed does in fact have the package and locker as advertised but it is a quicker way to source available vehicles. That is how I recently found my LR4. Currently on Autotrader it shows 13 LR4s 2010-13 listed, which was my search criteria.

Unfortunately, I think this would weed out even some legitimate candidates as pretty much all the non-Rover dealers or private sellers won't even know what the HD package is so they wouldn't be likely to list it in the specs. Annoying, but I think actual hands-on inspection is the only way to be sure, though I would probably trust a Rover dealer if they said yes/no.

t42beal13t

Adventurer
Unfortunately, I think this would weed out even some legitimate candidates as pretty much all the non-Rover dealers or private sellers won't even know what the HD package is so they wouldn't be likely to list it in the specs. Annoying, but I think actual hands-on inspection is the only way to be sure, though I would probably trust a Rover dealer if they said yes/no.

I think I'll just leave HD Package on the not required list. I don't plan on putting this truck in a situation where only lockers would get me out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven