Is there a vin decoder to tell me if an LR3 has the hd package?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Honestly the only real way is to look under it and look for the diff lock motor on the diff.
That seemed the best way to me to tell, but it seemed so obvious I figured there must be some catch.
It would also eliminate any where the diff failed and it was replaced with a cheaper non-locking diff, assuming that's possible.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
All HD packages have a full size spare. Check under the truck for it and you will know.

No, the HSE's came with full size spares also, with or without a locker. And as commented by others, the lock icon on the display is not a distinguishing indicator either. You have to look up the VIN or look on top of the diff for the little black horizontally mounted solenoid. Here is a picture of what...half of one looks like:
image1.jpg

image8.jpg

KyleT

Explorer
surest way to tell is to look under at the rear diff and see if the lock motor is on the diff. it is on top the diff and it very noticeable.

VIN will not decode options every time... and YES it could have been swapped... or built wrong. I have seen HD package not have locker and or swapped for a replacement when it was replaced or whatever...

mpinco

Expedition Leader
That's pretty helpful, but doesn't include nearly the amount of info as the software required to find out if the truck has locking diff or not.

Entered my VIN. Top of report was pretty useless and inaccurate, but scroll down.

For my LR4 the "Minor features" list included

LOCKING REAR AXLE - E DIFF

spikemd

Explorer
I just typed in two VINs, one with known HD package and nothing came up. I may be looking at buying another LR3/4 soon.

Lan1201

I just used the vin decoder above on a LR3 for sale in my market. Under the category "Drive" it states LHD is this by any chance referring to the HD package? Also under transmission it states "Transmission 6 SPD AUTO TRANS ZF 6HP26" can anyone shed some light on the letters/numbers and what they mean?

Thanks in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven