Is this 4X4 mod feasible?

goin camping

Explorer
I have an 07 F250 PSD. It has that hideous transfer case selector knob on the dash. Does anyone know what is involved in switching that to a lever on the floor making it a mechanical connection?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I would imagine it would be fairly straight forward as a lot of people do this with Rangers.
There should be a cutout plate in the floor for the shifter already. Grab the case and linkage from a manual shift superduty and anything that might look different, but it's definitely feasable.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I friend of mine had this done in the name of realiability. It's an older ford than yours. I beileve cost was around $2000. I think he had to totally switch out the transfer case. No bets on the quality of my memory on the details. I'll forward this to him. May be he can weigh in.

I have an 07 F250 PSD. It has that hideous transfer case selector knob on the dash. Does anyone know what is involved in switching that to a lever on the floor making it a mechanical connection?

lstzephyr

wanderer
I don't know if it helps but I know they had a manual shift on the t case on the 08 f250 I used to drive as a work truck. So the linkage and hole should fit/be there.

I just remember it from shifting out or into 4x4 with my foot in the snow. The shifter is real close to the gas pedal.:)

chasespeed

Explorer
It was cost prohibitive with my 99 Super Duty. I will say I never had a problem with it though. I DID put some Warn hubs on though...

trailrider71

GC,
I have a 99 super duty I did this mod to.I have a 6 speed and wanted the manual transfer case to go w/ it.I was wheeling out west and had problems with it popping out of 4lo.Makes terrible sounds when this happens.
I had a good shop do it that was local.They bought a super duty manual case for about $4-500.they went through that case.Then we ordered all the parts for the shifter assembly new from ford.I put on the premium warn manual hubs.
With all parts and labor it was about $2000.I did have a few other things done when it was in for this.
I thought this was a good deal.I plan on keeping this truck forever,new trucks are $50,000.This equals about 3 months in payments.You can't get a stick shift on the new ones.
I have a FWCamper on the truck and it is my main ride for exploring out west and up north.
Sean
www.go-anywhere.com

goin camping

Explorer
being a cert. ford tech you will have to swap out the transfer case.

Thanks to you and Trailrider71 for having that key bit of cost prohibitive info. I guess I'll wait until the current system fails or malfunctions before doing this mod.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk