Isuzu into RRC? Quest for Holy Grail

Michael Slade

Untitled
A friend of mine recently acquired a bread-van with the venerable Isuzu 4B2T engine in it. He also has a Range Rover Classic.

Of course his mind starts spinning of diesel greatness in the RRC.

He has called me asking if I know of any information regarding this conversion. He has found stuff online, but not much. He has also found people whose 'friends' have done the conversion, but can't track anyone down for solid information.

I told him that ExPo would know who has done this conversion, so I come to you, dear friends, in pursuit of the elusive Isuzu 4B2T conversion.

Thank you for any help!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Hmmm, I believe it was a guy called Roving Beetle who did it. He has some info posted at Pirate. And, well, generally that's where you'll find the most info about that type of thing. And, if you know the secret handshake, some of you will even talk to you about how to get it registered. :)

Wander

Expedition Leader
Is he thinking of a total powertrain swap or does he intend to keep the RRC tranny?

I've heard of some sources of custom plates to attach a Rover tranny to other source engines but I can't put my finger on the names right now. One source is in England IRRC.

I'm assuming he measured the Izuzu mill for fit already? Sounds like an interesting swap.

I know Rovertrader (Dale) on here has done a few swap but I think they were all Rover diesel engines into petrol Rovers.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
It's been done. Some guy that took a trip to south america with a friend of his had done the isuzu swap.

Not sure if it was on here or another rover forum, but the thread was called trip of a lifetime or something. Looked to be a very clean swap. Only way to notice anything was the notch in the hood.

-Sam

4btswaps.com-
try this site, as the Isuzu is virtually the same as the Cummins 4bt engine. There are several sections related to different powerplants used as a repower basis for different applications.
Most everyone documents their builds, there is a ton of technical info and people are friendly on sharing their experiences.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Mike have your friend contact Robert Davis in Chesapeake Virginia. He has done a couple of these and offers the conversion parts for sale. His son Tyler drives an LWB with the Isuzu diesel and the truck does very well. He also changed out the flex plate (diesel vibration eats them,torque converter and trans governor for optimal performance. He's working on the Mercedes Td conversion kit now as those engines are everywhere cheap.
Robert can be reached @ rdavisinVa@yahoodotcom

Yorker

Adventurer
Now we're getting somewhere. Thank you very much!

Davis dosn't have anything to do with the industrial/class4&5 truck Isuzu 3.9l 4bdi1/4bd2t He has only swapped in the little light duty 2.8l Isuzu diesels (4j series?).

Dougal and 4btswaps.com is your best bet for good info. Dougal has a 4bd1-t in his Range Rover classic, IIRC he initially used a lt95 or lt85 tranny but later used the Isuzu tranny with a custom adapter.

franko

Observer
Davis dosn't have anything to do with the industrial/class4&5 truck Isuzu 3.9l 4bdi1/4bd2t He has only swapped in the little light duty 2.8l Isuzu diesels (4j series?).

Dougal and 4btswaps.com is your best bet for good info. Dougal has a 4bd1-t in his Range Rover classic, IIRC he initially used a lt95 or lt85 tranny but later used the Isuzu tranny with a custom adapter.

This is the correct info you want.. Robert D is only dealing with the OM617 diesel ask me how I know.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
There's a kid that works at the Lily Bay State Park on Moosehead Lake in Maine that has an Isuzu in his RRC. I'm not even sure which one. That's all I got.....

David Harris

Expedition Leader
A friend of mine recently acquired a bread-van with the venerable Isuzu 4B2T engine in it. He also has a Range Rover Classic.

Of course his mind starts spinning of diesel greatness in the RRC.

He has called me asking if I know of any information regarding this conversion. He has found stuff online, but not much. He has also found people whose 'friends' have done the conversion, but can't track anyone down for solid information.

I told him that ExPo would know who has done this conversion, so I come to you, dear friends, in pursuit of the elusive Isuzu 4B2T conversion.

Thank you for any help!

This came up a bit on the recent 300 Tdi post. I am looking into this motor for my Disco. I have a RRC too, and would like to do a diesel in that as well, but may go with the 300 Tdi for that one, because I don't plan on needing that kind of power for the daily driver. I think at the very least it is a tight fit. It is usually done as an upgrade to the Defender. In the Disco, the motor will clear the hood by only 3/4" and the turbo is right there on top. There's a lot of effective heat shielding that can mitigate this. Also, on the lower part of the motor there are a couple of problems: (1.) The engine (at 32") is tall, so you will have to lower the bump stops by 1 inch to clear the diff sufficiently, and/or have a decent lift. (2.) The starter in stock configuration will not clear the frame. The factory Defenders in Australia had this motor and I believe the frames had to be notched slightly to accommodate this. However, the above mentioned Roving Beetle cleared his frame cleverly by cutting the mounting ears on the starter, rotating it slightly, and rewelding them, giving him plenty of clearance.

Then there is the transmission you will use. The stock tranny, manual or auto, is too weak for this motor, it seems. Roving Beetle matched his to a NV3550, which proved too weak as well. The NV4500 would be the ideal choice and, since it is a one ton+ tranny, it would be bulletproof. Also has a very low first gear which is a plus to get the turbo spooled up quickly from the start. A custom adapter has been done to the stock LT230, which is plenty strong, but no off the shelf is available. Roving Beetle's was done by Novak, and cost 1000.00. Roving beetle was able to get the shifters to fit into the Disco console so it looked like stock. His was a very nice job, perhaps as nice as could be done, with the exception of the tranny problem. Here is a link to his build. It's a great place to start:

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763708&highlight=

Expo member Nonimouse, who might weigh-in on this thread, is another great resource for info on these builds in the UK.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333