It’s Here! Jeep Wrangler with Diesel News

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I think your numbers are a bit inflated there.
Maybe add $10k, but that's only for now while electric vehicles are a niche market. As they become more popular, they will become more affordable.
Even today you can get a Model3 and Leaf with 200+ miles of range for under $40k.
$10K? You have no idea!

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Educate us then.
I am not here to educate you on battery electric, that is up to you. I am a diesel guy (I have 15-20 years left in my career and I "might" be selling electric motors before I retire). I have seen what it will cost to manufacture and put into production tractor (semi) and without significant gov't subsidies the market is years away from being financially optimized. The other issue at hand is the shear amount of money needed for R&D and there is the potential for several auto and truck manufacturers to not make the transition. The big 3 (USA and Europe) are bleeding huge amounts of cash with little ROI at the moment.

Lastly there is the significant infrastructure issue at hand. To make electric work we will need to rely even more heavily on fossil fuels (natural gas). And don't get me started on Hydrogen power....

Last edited:

Justincredible

Adventurer
I am not here to educate you on battery electric, that is up to you. I am a diesel guy (I have 15-20 years left in my career and I "might" be selling electric motors before I retire). I have seen what it will cost to manufacture and put into production tractor (semi) and without significant gov't subsidies the market is years away from being financially optimized. The other issue at hand is the shear amount of money needed for R&D and there is the potential for several auto and truck manufacturers to not make the transition. The big 3 (USA and Europe) are bleeding huge amounts of cash with little ROI at the moment.

Lastly there is the significant infrastructure issue at hand. To make electric work we will need to rely even more heavily on fossil fuels (natural gas). And don't get me started on Hydrogen power....

So you're just speculating.
I agree the infrastructure needs to be beefed up as electric cars become more mainstream, and charging times need to come down before they'll even approach the number of internal combustion cars sold, but starting just next year most major auto manufacturers plan to have an e-vehicle in their lineup, and many are shooting for the sub $35k mark.

Nautadoc

2020 Jeep Wrangler Adds 3.0L Diesel V-6 with 442 LB-FT of Torque

• A diesel engine is joining the 2020 Jeep Wrangler's powertrain lineup and will go on sale by the end of this year.
  • The 3.0-liter turbodiesel V-6 will make 260 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque.
  • The EcoDiesel engine will be available on four-door Sport, Rubicon, and Sahara models, paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
  • The diesel is also likely to command a significant price premium over the gas engines, given that it costs $4995 extra on the Ram pickup.

View attachment 536598
Finally!! Keeping fingers crossed.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
So you're just speculating.
I agree the infrastructure needs to be beefed up as electric cars become more mainstream, and charging times need to come down before they'll even approach the number of internal combustion cars sold, but starting just next year most major auto manufacturers plan to have an e-vehicle in their lineup, and many are shooting for the sub $35k mark.

Every single person is speculating...even the God to many, Elon Musk. Did you know that back in 1900 EVs made up 28% of the car market. EVs have ebbed and flowed in popularity since the late 1800s and have been the cause of speculation ever since the battery was invented! Granted the interest and technology has improved but still a plug in electric vehicle represents about 1 out of every 250 vehicles sold in the world today...which is less than 1/2 a percent.

Also I think there are other places to discuss this on the forum.

billiebob

a few facts from countries embracing zero emissions

and

I know North Americans are scared of the change but around the world a lot of countries are moving away from fossil fuel.

India

China

India & China, 1/3 of the worlds population are embracing electric vehicles. Those of us not making the change will soon become third world countries.

Last edited:

billiebob

$10K? You have no idea!
This is a new product, with volume all products get more affordable. Heck the first home computers 40 years ago cost more than todays smart phones. Cars cost thousands of dollars until Henry Ford invented the production line and mass production making the Model T an affordable $400. The benefits to electric vehicles are enormous. Fueling while parked. Or in commercial trucks, fueling at the loading dock. Gas Bars will be history. Every year solar gets more affordable and capable. All the tanker trucks will be parked, recycled. As for mass transit, the London Tube was running on electricity before the car was invented. You guys are to focused on popular media and corporate protection of the status quo.
Electric vehicles offer an enormous economic opportunity.

billiebob

Unfortunately North American Auto Makers are grasping at straws to prolong their cash cows. It would be so much better if we had Corporations with balls to meet the market demands. 30 years ago a Wrangler diesel pickup would have been a great idea. Today, an electric Wrangler is the ticket.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Oh
And lastly nothing is “zero emissions”. It is a marking term and is an absolute lie!

I mostly agree, but I’d say its a “euphemism,” not a lie, because those marketing folks ? never, ever lie to us.

F350joe

Buy a diesel Jeep now and in a decade or two, convert to electric. Maybe those big Tesla semi batteries will start showing up on auction sites by the time the Jeep wears out. The torque from the semi truck motor would probably make a Jeep jump out of a hole in granny gear. Zero emissions aside, it would just be fun.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
(Since that other, new thread for this off topic discourse hasn’t yet materialized...I’ll comment here ?)

So many cities are banning diesel engines. The writing is on the wall. Diesels are history......

This trend seems to be coming truer and truer. My nephew, who lives and works in Munich, just recently visited me and in our discussions about the differences in US and European transportation, he told me that two major car companies there (BMW and I think Mercedes) we’re starting to phase out diesel engine cars in Europe. This was first hand knowledge from him, not conjecture. So, yeah, it looks like it’s starting to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy