It's done! 3.0-liter turbo-diesel FJ60 from TLC

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Roseann.

I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I apologize if I did. You are correct; It is a fantastic engine and actually quite peppy for the small displacement. That's what you get when you go with a modern common rail turbo diesel.

No toe problems here! Sorry I wanted to clarify that if someone wanted this engine, it is possible to get parts for the actual pricing from a dealer, not third-party pricing.

At the time it seemed like a good direction to go ~ we were told that since the 2.8L was being phased out this was the new replacement and it's modern and super clean emissions. With Ford all over it, it seemed like only a matter of time before it became more common. The world is so much smaller now (the guy who helped me find Guerra International was a Ford dealer based in Columbia . . .).

The head gasket problem was related to the turbo install, and the turbo had to be completely redone last summer. Everything seems fine in the engine now, though I do need a new exhaust; the one that was originally installed is too small for this engine and so I'm having a bigger one made.

I still love having a modern diesel in a retro truck. Although I know the 1HZ is a totally bombproof engine and would have dropped in just super (and I've driven several all over East Africa so I know it's a fantastic engine) it's also old, not as efficient, and won't pull a Land Cruiser up a hill at 80 mph! (okay, so there aren't any roads you can go over 45 on in Tanzania, but I'm just sayin . . .)

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
I've had thoughts of a 4BD1-T in a cheap 80 since driving my Dad's Tahoe transplant. There's a lot to like about that motor, not the least of which is how cheap they are to buy and (re)build.

Bet it would be great in a mine truck.

I have thought the same thing! In fact, I went out and bought a cheap 80 for the same exact reason. I bought a 1993 and I got it cheap since it had 346K miles on it and it even has f/r lockers.

I started driving it and the damn thing runs so well that I kind of want to see how long it will last. Now it has 353K miles and it is still going strong. It does not burn any oil and it just goes and goes and goes.....

But, when the time comes, I have a H150 80 series 5 speed with a part time t-case ready for it. I was thinking the 4BD1T mated to the 5 speed might make a really nice 80. It may not happen anytime soon but then again, sometimes I get a wild hair.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I greatly enjoyed the performance of your conversion, personally, Roseann. It was very peppy and quiet, light weight, and wonderful/about perfect in my opinion. So I can see the attraction to this engine indeed. To get that power out of it it is understandable how it could lose a head gasket. That said expecially on pushrod diesels headgaskets are very easy to replace. I've had to do it for each 4BT I've had and for those its a 3-4 hour job.

I'm personally also a huge fan of the Cummins 3.3. It's what I think everyone should be installing instead of the 2.8s in particular. Parts available through the entire US at least... Perhaps John can give better insight because he's installed a couple of these.

I hope it helps,
Andre

jingram

Adventurer
Andre,

The 3.3 is the one I am most interested in as well... parts and availability everywhere, relatively affordable although going up in price as demand increases. Certainly lighter and smaller than the more ubiquitous 4bt/3.9 swaps.

Are you aware of anybody who has put a 3.3 in a 60? I know they have become pretty popular in 40/45s and in Series Defenders. I would imagine you could avoid the whole SOA/ big lift with it as well.

Jack

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
No but I was with Scott Oncken (eco 4WD) and his very heavily loaded FJ45 on the Carbon Neutral Expedition. Other trucks were:
- heavy D90 with 4BT (late model 4BT - work of art, quiet, no issues other than some milding tuning issues he's still facing).
- The truck Grease Cruiser drove which was a 1HZ with turbo.
- 300 TDI (2.5l) heavily loaded D110.

I hope I'm not missing anything other than my 7.3 Power Stroke.

The 3.3 was a real surprise and delight. John Braiser would give greater insight but I and Scott Oncken both believe it would do great in everything. It's heavy duty build (just like all Cummins) so it can be really juiced up and have no issues. Volume is physically larger than a 2.8 or 3.0 so I see no reason tuning can't be well done for a wagon.

I will say Scott was one of the fastest trucks that kept up with no issues. it also handles alternative fuels very well, in my opinion...

jingram

Adventurer
Yeah, I posted links to two of Scott's builds above. That blue FJ45 build of his was absolutely beautiful. I know that he did the install on that one and I believe Proffits did the install on his previous one.

Spec wise the 3.3 doesn't seem that far off the low end of the 3.0 Navistar motor in Roseann's 60.

Hmm, maybe time to start looking for a clean 60. Too bad they seem to have risen so dramatically in price up here in the PNW.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have an unbelieveably clean FJ62 with only 124K miles and not a peep of rust that I may consider selling, FYI, if you are interested. I've also designed a method on how to do a low height (3") spring over rear axle, with coil spring front with 80 series locked axles, that I was perhaps planning to do to this FJ62. So this would make this 62 like the best of a 80 series except a 60 series and part time 4WD. I guess more details some other time, but its what's been running through my head for several months now with this 62. The issue is I have too many ideas and not enough time so I may just let the 62 go and get another Power Stroke (that was a great truck).

bomar

Adventurer
dieselcruiserhead said:
I've also designed a method on how to do a low height (3") spring over rear axle, with coil spring front with 80 series locked axles, that I was perhaps planning to do to this FJ62. So this would make this 62 like the best of a 80 series except a 60 series and part time 4WD. I guess more details some other time, but its what's been running through my head for several months now with this 62.
dieselcruiserhead said:
I have one I will pay you to do or pay you for the method to make it easier for me. :smiley_drive:

Ducks

Adventurer
So you get 30mpg on-road with the International? That is great. What do you get off-road?

I get 20mpg with my 12H-T on-road that I put in my fj60 and I got 10mpg off-road during the Alaska Cruiser Trek. I think the gassers were only getting 3-4mpg during the Trek. It's nice to have some range while going off-road.

:beer: Chad

Dirk S.

International 3.0 vs 12HT

I am very close to committing to installing a rebuilt 12HT into my 88 FJ62. My reservations are the usual, with the addition of emissions. I may be a sceptic but I'm not inconsiderate. How is that 3.0 working out? Has anybody tried to clean up the 12HT with catalytic converters or diesel particulate filters? Any feedback would be appreciated,

Dirk

Ducks

Adventurer
I have a 12H-T and had absolutely no problems passing emissions here in Oregon. If there are any problems with passing emissions, just run biodiesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3