Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
The truck is well on it's way to being dialed. Out of the front bumper options we've talked about, I can't wait to see which one you decide on.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
nice score!!!! so you don't think a couple C clamps won't do the job?:coffeedrink:

Maybeee...:elkgrin:

The truck is well on it's way to being dialed. Out of the front bumper options we've talked about, I can't wait to see which one you decide on.

I know you and I have talked this to death and D and I have as well. I think after much debate, searching and discussion, I think I am going to go with the Buckstop. They just look the best IMHO and D agrees, so that means if she likes it, then that's probably what it's going to get. Because the winch is 136lbs and their steel bumper is 190lbs, I am probably going to go with the aluminum version. Mucho money, but at least I will be saving roughly 90lbs of dead weight hanging on the front of the truck. I figure with the weight savings, the extra cost should be offset by not having to repair/replace front suspension parts as often. A couple of BJ's and Unit bearings will easily eat up the extra cost of aluminum over steel. Besides that should keep me from having a case of the "I shoulda" later on.

Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
Jack, I can't believe you haven't figure out that nothing will keep "I shoulda" away...

I have a nice 8274 that I'm trying to mount up on my truck... Total bumper fab time if I ever get to it!!
:)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack, I can't believe you haven't figure out that nothing will keep "I shoulda" away...

I have a nice 8274 that I'm trying to mount up on my truck... Total bumper fab time if I ever get to it!!
:)

No kidding, but I gotta try. :wings:

An 8274 would be sweet, too bad they are as expensive as they are, very cool winch. I agree, you are totally on your own for making it fit though. Good luck and make sure to take pics when you start.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Any updates?

Just been gathering parts.

I did complete the manual "idle up," which allows me to use the PTO rpms in the factory ECM. I will do a write up soon on that, pretty cool feature.

I have a E-Locker sitting in the house for the front axle. Have to find the time to remove the front diff and get it down to Bayshore for installation. I picked that up on "black friday," Summit was having a 10% off sale and Eaton had a $50 rebate, so I got the locker out the door for about $650. Couldn't beat that.

Kilby OBA system is on order, they are out of the office until January 3rd, so it will be a little while before it gets here.

Picked up my Bushwacker cutout flares, probably going to start on that this weekend.

Got all of the metal to build my sliders, just waiting to get the flares installed so that I know where to build from.

Picked up a set of "black" chrome H2 rims (can't wait to get the tires for those).

Have to get bumper ordered and winch mounted before tires go on though, stock bumper is in the way of bigger tires.

Did I mention that I love craigslist? I just bought a 9k rated pull-pal that had never been used in the case and a snatch block (again never used) for $120. I know the truck weighs more than that, but most of the time, I don't need 9k of anchor to unstick it, besides if it fails, I have a welder and some metal so I can make it bigger/stronger.

But other than that, nope nothing. :shakin:

Jack

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I thought you had been pretty quiet... You know what they say, without pics, it didn't happen. Are you going to weld the sliders on, or bolt them ala 80 style?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Going to bolt them on. Should be fun...

I'll get some pics.....eventually. :) Got some time off this weekend (don't have to work), so we are thinking about loading up the camper and heading out.

Speaking of being quiet, both Dan and I were just saying we haven't seen/heard from you in a while. Guess you have been busy.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I have been collecting parts as of late and finally got around to installing some of it.

I have decided not to lift the truck, simply because with the camper, I really don't want to make it harder to release the latches and get in and out. The problem is that I still want/need some additional clearance under the low slung truck. What to do? Well, Bushwacker makes cut out flares that increase both tire coverage and open the fender openings up to allow for larger tires without lifting or larger tires with less lift.

I picked up some used Hummer H2 rims with tires. The rims are "black chrome" which I really like. The tires are worthless, but they at least allow me to make sure everything will clear. Here is are some pics of the flares and tire installed.

Those tires are BFG 35's, which are pretty small, but Bushwacker claims that you can fit 35's without a lift at all. I won't be using 35's, but more like 34's. As soon as I can get the front bumper installed, then tires will be purchased.

Stock tires and rims were reinstalled for now, so the truck looks a little wierd, but will look good when the H2's go on.

Jack

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
One of the other things that I have done is tap into the factory PTO circuits to allow with the flip of a switch and a push of a button or two, you can adjust the idle for anything you might need it for. My use will be for my OBA and on board shower (both still need to be installed). Anyway, with a tap into the ECM with a couple of pins and a switch, you can adjust the idle from the stock setting of 650 rpms to as much of 1750 rpms.

Flip the switch and it will bump from 650 to 800 rpm
With the switch on and push the "cruise control" on button, the idle jumps up to 1200 rpms.
With the switch on and hitting the "resume" button, the idle jumps to 1750 rpms.

Pretty cool that it is all built into the ECM.

This is the write up I used, which works for the 06-07 LBZ Duramax's.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298191

I varied from the instructions slightly, I didn't tap into the main fuse panel, because I just thought there was a better system. And there was. Again, GM built everthing around "Upfitters." Which is for the companies that use the platform for ambulances/tow trucks and other industrial uses. One of those features is a junction block under the dash located to the left of the steering column. It is where the brake controller plugs in among other things. There just happens to be an unused block to the left of the plug in for the brake controller. It has five options for sourcing fused power, so I used that for my power source.

Jack

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Hey Jack, like your writeups!! Just curious, when you use the PTO option to set engine speed, does it cancel when you touch the brake? I did this to my old 6.5L, and it ended up being almost useless, since I'm pretty much always on the brake when using the winch to drag stuff. It was still good for an elevated engine speed for faster warmup, or for faster batter charging after winching, but not so much during, that's all. :(

Nice H2's. And flares. My only complaint about my H2's is how much crap they throw on the truck.
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues