Jack's Adventure Thread (previous Xterra build)

richard310

pew pew
I don't know how I missed the Canada job and update but wow. Congrats on the sweet job for testing and also on the upgrades. Looks like things are going well for you.

zelseman

Observer
Rig looks good! I am very jealous about the work trip to NWT. Do you prefer the light bar over individual lights?
Looking forward to pictures of the new tires installed!

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
That thing is looking incredible! Great work!

Thanks! I'm still excited about it, haha.

Rig looks good! I am very jealous about the work trip to NWT. Do you prefer the light bar over individual lights?

Thank you kindly :) I was actually torn for a long time on my lighting situation. I loved the aesthetics that the round Hellas gave me, because they flowed with the whole circular front end. But because the Xoskel cage wasn't designed for lights that can't be turned / clocked, I rarely used them due to the light pattern that it threw off. I finally caved when I realized that having them wasn't practical, so I compromised and modified the light cage and got a single row LED in the hopes that it would be subtle and not overwhelming, while still being functional and practical. It's been great so far!

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Recently added the OEM rear mud flaps to (try to) keep the loose snow / slush at bay.

IMG_20150201_130554_zps14d52e8a.jpg

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Now that spring & summer are right around the corner, I'm having a bit of a configuration issue for traveling and taking everything I want to take.

Initial plan was to have an expedition trailer built, which would house:

• CVT rooftop tent, which needs to be on a rack tall enough to use the annex
  • Full-size spare tire, set to match the same wheel pattern and size of the Xterra tires
  • Rotopax fuel canisters and Rotopax water containers
  • 2" receiver for my bike rack to bounce around on the back

The Xterra was going to have two kayaks on the roof, and an awning installed as well. If I position them properly, I can also toss firewood into the DepHep cargo rack in between the kayaks.

This configuration has been in my head for months, and it's perfect for my girl and I to load up our dogs and go everywhere for a week at a time. Of course, not every trip is going to be biking AND kayaking, but it's easy enough to bring both.

That being said, I started to think about how much that type of trailer is going to be used. Realistically, it will be used almost every weekend over this coming summer. With the rooftop tent removed, I can also use it as a utility trailer. The thought crossed my mind to switch things up a bit and leave the rooftop tent on the Xterra, which has its pros and cons - the biggest con being stationary after camp is set up. I like the idea of dropping the trailer and being able to run into the nearest town if need be. If I were to leave the rooftop tent on the Xterra, I'd have to look into another rack system other than the DepHep. I've commented before that the DepHep isn't necessarily designed to house a rooftop tent, so the flaw isn't with the rack at all. It's a pain to bolt the tent down using the bolting system that CVT provides (also not a CVT flaw). The only issue I have with this is the design of the stock roof rails and the massively over-hanging rooftop tent, because of how far above the actual roof it sits. If I were to take the DepHep rack out and replace it with some Thule crossbars any time I used the rooftop tent, it would sit even higher off the roof. I don't like messing with COG like that.

I looked into one of those Yakima "Rack and Roll" trailers, but they were surprisingly over $2000. I liked that idea because it can house two kayaks and two bikes with no problem, and I wouldn't have to lift two kayaks up onto the roof of the Xterra.

All that being said, I'm leaning back towards the expedition trailer. I think it makes the most logical and practical sense.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Mudchet

Rack n Roll

Hi Jack,

I too have looked at Yakima's trailer and felt it was grossly over priced for what it offered. I have my doubts that it would last long travelling over anything but pavement. Northern Tool has a version that is cheaper, looks sturdier and probably is more useful.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578600_200578600

I have been pondering the rrailer issue myself and I am attracted to the concept of a utility trailer that can be outfitted for expedition travel but also serve more mundane tasks like hauling things around town.

Stay warm up in Michigan. I bet you are loving that remote start.

Kms

Silver dude

Xplorer
Man its almost scary how similar our rigs and needs from them have become, like twins lol. Kinda at the same road sort of feeling like building up a camping trailer. I've hauled the kayaks on the Xterra for many years. Even in the thick forests of the U.P. it has never been a issue sure the boats whack trees but its hard to damage thick roto molded plastic. I keep thinking about a trailer though as the kayaks really drag and howl in the wind munching fuel. Also causing the truck to sway and rock quite a bit over bumps. Though in your case it would make sense to keep them up top as the roof on the Xterra is so high it only seems good for items you rarely need to access. Kayaks are long and the length is usually best swallowed by the vehicle rather then trailer as they would likely over hang the trailer making the overall length longer. Currently my gear takes the entire volume of the cargo area. It would be nice to not have to pack just hitch and go. Vehicle would be far more balanced. Trailer would be low enough that I could lower kayaks on to it and still get out the garage. As you said the Yakima trailers are nice I also looked those over at a camping expo. I think I'd look for something more cargo based and water tight to hold camping junk. Maybe convert a utility trailer. I'd almost try to make a bike rack at the trailer tongue as so the bikes aren't dangling off the back. Hitch racks swing and wobble offroad which can cause the paint on the bikes to clack.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Hi Jack,

I too have looked at Yakima's trailer and felt it was grossly over priced for what it offered. I have my doubts that it would last long travelling over anything but pavement. Northern Tool has a version that is cheaper, looks sturdier and probably is more useful.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578600_200578600

I have been pondering the rrailer issue myself and I am attracted to the concept of a utility trailer that can be outfitted for expedition travel but also serve more mundane tasks like hauling things around town.

Stay warm up in Michigan. I bet you are loving that remote start.

Kms

Thanks for the info, Kev! And yes, it has been fantastic :D

Man its almost scary how similar our rigs and needs from them have become, like twins lol. Kinda at the same road sort of feeling like building up a camping trailer. I've hauled the kayaks on the Xterra for many years. Even in the thick forests of the U.P. it has never been a issue sure the boats whack trees but its hard to damage thick roto molded plastic. I keep thinking about a trailer though as the kayaks really drag and howl in the wind munching fuel. Also causing the truck to sway and rock quite a bit over bumps. Though in your case it would make sense to keep them up top as the roof on the Xterra is so high it only seems good for items you rarely need to access. Kayaks are long and the length is usually best swallowed by the vehicle rather then trailer as they would likely over hang the trailer making the overall length longer. Currently my gear takes the entire volume of the cargo area. It would be nice to not have to pack just hitch and go. Vehicle would be far more balanced. Trailer would be low enough that I could lower kayaks on to it and still get out the garage. As you said the Yakima trailers are nice I also looked those over at a camping expo. I think I'd look for something more cargo based and water tight to hold camping junk. Maybe convert a utility trailer. I'd almost try to make a bike rack at the trailer tongue as so the bikes aren't dangling off the back. Hitch racks swing and wobble offroad which can cause the paint on the bikes to clack.

Haha, I know it's crazy! And yeah, you hit the nail on the head. I would love to just be able to keep the trailer packed and just...hitch and go. Sounds awesome for a weekend trip.

Like I said, I think I'm leaning towards the expedition trailer. I have everything I want listed out as far as the specifics. Guess we'll see what this summer brings!

Silver dude

Xplorer
Are you going to build your own? Was looking on Craigslist last week and I saw they had tiny enclosed trailers some like 4x5 aluminum chassis. I'm sort of leaning towards a aluminum trailer the Xterra isn't known for its power its already bad especially at altitude I had to shift to 4 low just to roll up the pavement on Pikes peak wouldn't pull 1st gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman