Jack's Adventure Thread (previous Xterra build)

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I finally took the time to sit down and read through you thread man. The Xterra has been a lot of places and been through a lot of change. It looks good and stout.

2 Things, I'd love to go to the Northwest Territories, man that seems unimaginably far away. I miss the UP so much I could almost cry about it. I need to live closer than Northern Ohio.

Thanks man, I appreciate that!

The NWT was incredible. I'm planning an eventual trip back up there in the summer. I'm sure the UP misses you too ;) so weird to think that it's a 5-hour drive for me to cross the Mackinac Bridge, but I could probably get to where you are in Ohio sooner.

Can't wait to see where you take her next Brian!

Thank you sir! Looks like the next place I take her is...my garage ;) Need to do a full exterior LED conversion. Tail lights, reverse lights, and turn signals / flashers. Also going to get some engine bay lighting going.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Started my roof revamp. Sold the DepHep rack, as much as I didn't want to. Wasn't great for what I needed, so I got Thule 50" crossbars instead for the rooftop tent, kayaks, skybox, etc.

Got a few more things left and it will be all done.

IMG_20160130_141839_zpsmi9eutu0.jpg

richard310

pew pew
Started my roof revamp. Sold the DepHep rack, as much as I didn't want to. Wasn't great for what I needed, so I got Thule 50" crossbars instead for the rooftop tent, kayaks, skybox, etc.

Got a few more things left and it will be all done.

IMG_20160130_141839_zpsmi9eutu0.jpg

You know, I was debating on that roof rack awhile back, but for my uses as well, decided not to purchase it. As nice of a rack it is, I just don't see any reason to throw anything in there besides gas/water. Most everything, if properly organized, can fit in the cargo area.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
You know, I was debating on that roof rack awhile back, but for my uses as well, decided not to purchase it. As nice of a rack it is, I just don't see any reason to throw anything in there besides gas/water. Most everything, if properly organized, can fit in the cargo area.

Agreed! I got a great deal on mine a few years ago, and it was perfect for firewood and miscellaneous stuff. But the more I started using the rooftop tent, kayak cradles, etc., I started to think "...why am I still dealing with this when it doesn't fit my needs?" The realization just sort of hit me that I never use it the way I used to. As much as I liked it, it was time.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
LabRak awning mounts have arrived!

They are versatile, well-built, and they look damn good. One side holds the awning and one side grips the Thule / Yakima bar (can be used upside-down for a shorter vehicle, too). Mine is at the perfect height that I can walk under it and still have headroom. Granted, the Xterra is 82" tall at the roof rail.

IMG_20160203_171556_zps6g0uqcbq.jpg

IMG_20160203_172709_hdr_zpslgd5lnjr.jpg

IMG_20160203_172742_hdr_zpspfhstrrm.jpg

My only complaint is that it sticks out a little far, but that can be adjusted. It's going to need to stick out anyway to house the CVT tent at the same time.

jhberria

Adventurer
Love it, Brian. I'm currently exploring awning options and I may very well be stealing this page from your book. I also need an option that will allow for the simultaneous mounting of my tent, and this looks like the ticket.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Thanks guys! I do have a concern with the upper portion of it - there is a piece of the bracket that might get in the way of the rooftop tent.

I don't have a trip with the rooftop tent planned until Memorial Day, so I might have to toss it up there this weekend to see what the scoop is. I suppose worst case, I can cut that part off, but I really don't want to hack up such a pretty piece of metal.

urstin

Alright this build thread is ridiculous. Beautiful work! I used to live in the UP (I went to college in LSSU, then graduated at NMU in Marquette), it's super tough to leave! I'm actually 80% sure I've seen you on either I-75 or US-23 at some point (not recently). Do you have any interest in selling that Xosekl light cage anytime soon?

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Alright this build thread is ridiculous. Beautiful work! I used to live in the UP (I went to college in LSSU, then graduated at NMU in Marquette), it's super tough to leave! I'm actually 80% sure I've seen you on either I-75 or US-23 at some point (not recently). Do you have any interest in selling that Xosekl light cage anytime soon?

That's awesome! I have a hard time planning a trip that's anywhere outside the state. Even though it's a 6+ hour drive to all the good stuff, it's totally worth it.

You'll have to pry that Xoskel from the cold, dead fingers of the Xterra after it gets scrapped ;)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
It's too bad Xoskel just sort of fell off the face of the earth. I got one of their last products with my old Frontier, a low profile light bar.

He made some cool stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach