Jeep about to hit 100,000 miles.

Okay, with my 2010 JKU about to hit 100,000 miles I wanted to now if I needed to perform any type of mechanical maintenance to it? It does get an oil change regularly, so I don't think it has any bad wear and tear on the engines internal parts.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
The owners manual does have a list of suggestion which one should follow when reaching particular intervals of milage.. IE 30K, 60K, 80k 100K etc.. But normally the Differentials, transfer case would be a good start assuming one hasn't maintain this like the oil change. Even though the spark plugs can go 100k, I've actually change mine every 30K. Tire rotation, tread life (or what's left of it) is a good thing to check. Worn parts, belts and hose should have been replaced long before the 100K marker.. or depending on how hard you've driven the jeep. Then of course the shocks.. 50K is a minimum and should be change soon after the 50K mark. Rust is the next issues.. beating back the hands of time.. can be hard to avoid.. but while under the jeep.. you might want to check out bushing, seals and even the bump stops.. as these tend to dry rot.

The owners manual does have a list of suggestion which one should follow when reaching particular intervals of milage.. IE 30K, 60K, 80k 100K etc.. But normally the Differentials, transfer case would be a good start assuming one hasn't maintain this like the oil change. Even though the spark plugs can go 100k, I've actually change mine every 30K. Tire rotation, tread life (or what's left of it) is a good thing to check. Worn parts, belts and hose should have been replaced long before the 100K marker.. or depending on how hard you've driven the jeep. Then of course the shocks.. 50K is a minimum and should be change soon after the 50K mark. Rust is the next issues.. beating back the hands of time.. can be hard to avoid.. but while under the jeep.. you might want to check out bushing, seals and even the bump stops.. as these tend to dry rot.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think of replace the shocks but that makes since.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
Don't thank me.. Hilldweller suggested a few areas I neglected to mention. Check your owners manual and see what's coming up.. all dealers will tell you that "X" needs to be serviced and if you're like me.. I do what I can based on necessity and the current funds.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I wouldn't change any bearings until they're bad. Wheel bearing howl for a LONG time before they let go completely, so if they're not howling, they're not bad.

But changing the fluids in axles, trans, and t-case should be done if you haven't already. (And you are really supposed to do all four more often than 100k I bet...)
Same with spark plugs.
Shocks should be replaced when they're worn out, which is to say when they start leaking. Your OEM shocks are pretty soft, so an upgrade might be in order anyway.

Coolant could probably use a flush too. I tend to blow out the pink stuff and put in Prestone's "Compatible with all coolants" stuff, which is yellow/green. That way I can add anything in a pinch, and all my vehicles can use the same stuff.

Keep going!!
C

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I like to change axle bearings before they eat the axles.... ....unless I'm planning to upgrade the axles...
Jeep axles take a beating. And the lube smells awful when it slings out; and you know it's going to drip in your garage, piss off your wife, etc. You never get rid of the odor.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Not sure if the engines are the same but I know you absolutely had to have the cooling system checked on the XJ WJ from the early 2000's.

How much are you looking to spend? Might not hurt to go all out and replace anything that will need to be replaced down the road.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have 100,000 miles or 160,000 kms on my 2011 JKU. I just do regular maintenance on it. YOu don't need to replace anything that's not worn out and causing problems. Keep driving it as you would. regular maintenance Goes along way to keep your rig in top shape. My JK drives as new.

So after looking at my user manual and reading all of the suggestions I'm probably going to do the following:

New shocks, reason I'm already planning to install a TeraFlex leveling get (just the boosters) and want to retain the OEM shock and coil spring specs. I figure this a good for two reasons, one I'm not wheeling every weekend so as such my jeep spends a majority of its time on the highway. Two, OEM parts are cheaper to replace than aftermarket products and are more readily available through auto part stores; probably going to install Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks. Also planning on upgrading to a set of 285/75r17 Toyo Open Country AT II tires.

Replace spark plugs, I figure this is just good practice regardless of anything....I mean couldn't hurt. :sombrero:

Bushings, crawled under there other day and saw the track bar bushings looked a little rotted. So this is probable a sign that there could other bushings that need replacing as well.

kojackJKU

If you are swapping to new shocks, I whole heartedly recommend the monroes. Great performance for our rigs, and price is perfect. Plus lifetime warranty.

If you are swapping to new shocks, I whole heartedly recommend the monroes. Great performance for our rigs, and price is perfect. Plus lifetime warranty.

That's interesting, I didn't think Monroe made shocks for light trucks/SUVs. I always that they only made shocks for cars.

kojackJKU

nope. many of the shocks available are made by Monroe. the reflex monotubes are a great shock. just make sure you buy the rubicon versions.

kojackJKU

Yep, mines a sport too. the rear shocks are longer from Monroe for the rubicon, so it works to our advantage with the leveling kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach