Jeep Commander as an expo vehicle?

broken1

Observer
Great responses and I am liking the picture Broken1! Sounds like the Hemi and QD2 4 wheel drive options are the way to go. Would the overland model come with both of these? Would I need to check inside or the rear diff to determine which 4 wheel drive system it has? It would not be a DD so I'm not overly concerned with the MPG but what about the reliability of the 5.7 hemi? Any issues, higher mileage ok on a used one?

Looking forward to hearing more on these!!

Overland = 5.7L hemi and QDII. I actually called and had the dealership take a picture of console and rear diff before I bothered to drive to see it.

Issues? LOL it's a Jeep. Just Empty Every Pocket. I've had 2 XJs, a ZJ, a WJ, a LJ and now a XK. I'm a slow learner...

Read around here:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/forum.php
and here:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/

I had the not unheard of P013C code. The Chrysler TS guide has them replace O2 sensors and wiring and then finally the PCM. It is actually the Cat/Y pipe leak issue. That was one I knew was going to suck going into it. A better dealership then the one I was at would have listened when I presented tons of info from the internet including the exact symptoms indications and cause. On the up side since I went into it saying what is was and no one listened the dealership and Chrysler Corp pretty much made it right.

A year and a month later the "replacement" PCM crapped out no codes but it would act like it couldn't start if you delayed to long turning the key. It was some voltage issues inside. Though out of warranty (the pcm and the vehicle) given the issues I had before Chrysler Corp split the cost with me.

Earlier this week I helped a random guy in the grocery store parking lot, his wouldn't start but for a different reason. He had the 4.7L and all his relays clicked but no starter. Some internet research showed that sometimes the signal wire to the solenoid wiggles loose. A quick wiggle and it fired right up, a clean and tension of that spade connector and it would likely not be a problem again.

The front diff mount bushing can be a problem (Grand, Durango, and Commander all get this), mine has either an issue there or at the sway bars. Some light clunk in the front at potholes. Sounds like a bad shock but definitely not. When it warms up I'm going to remove the sway bar and see what happens with the noise. Because it is so big and heavy it's hard to wiggle anything a look for looseness.

After 140,000 my original muffler let go. It now has a straight pipe until I can figure out what I want to do about it. It sounds like an uncorked Hemi. I don't know if I can go back now...

The jeep commander was a failed attempt to compete with full size SUV. It's big, but the interior is too tight to be usable and the 3rd row is solely for kids and block your rear mirroir entirely. My old CRV felt more roomy than the commander. Too bad because it could have been a good competitor to the suburban and expedition. However. I'm sure its offroad capable, especially with quadra-drive II.
The third row is small, but it has a stadium seating effect so it's not bad. I am 6'4" 240 and I have sat back there. I wouldn't do a road trip, but a short jaunt sure. I mean seriously if you have 7 full size men going on a road trip you should have nothing smaller than a minivan... and it's not blocking mirror entirely, but I would concede mostly... It is definitely not a suburban or a expedition and it doesn't drive like one either. It is narrower and having driven both I would say more... nimble?

Rumor has it that Chrysler Corp made the decision that if you want a three row SUV you get a Durango. Same chassis, super similar interior, etc... fewer 4wd options. There were some statements that people didn't like the styling, but the next generation Liberty looks almost exactly the same... I think that people didn’t like the price for what it was when it was. Mine cost 48K brand new, but I can drive anywhere and watch satellite TV or a DVD when I get there…

The unicorn is a 2009 Overland Edition you get ~25 extra ponies and ft/lbs and all the options.

kayadog

Adventurer
I like Commanders too but check out the back seat. There is less 2nd row leg room in a Commander than a WK Grand Cherokee. The 2nd room is moved forward to make room for the 3rd. When comparing both I bought the WK to fit my kid's car seats even thought the 3rd row would have been nice.

Sal-XK

Observer
I'm on my second XK now. I pulled out the third row seats in both of them. You can fit five people in the XK without the third row seats. Remove those seats and you gain a lot more storage space as well. As stated the 5.7L and QD2 is the way to go for sure. Like hoax said the MPG are not great but putting the throttle down on the 5.7L is addicting LOL. With the QD2 system the center diff and both axles lock up. That right their allows you to go places that make peoples jaws drop when they see it. I've heard it a hundred times "you got up here in that" or "I wouldn't go down their you won't make it" I know hoax has herd the same things wheeling his.

For a expedition vehicle I think it is a good plat form. I've driven hours up pretty hard trails with the air on and the kids watching movies no issues. With all the room in back plus my roof basket I've never had to rough it when I got where I was going. The aftermarket support has really come a long way the last few years. With the steel armadillo and jeepin by al supplying most of what you need. Now custom RCV front CV axles are available which really eliminates the weakest point of the XK. Carolina drive shaft makes front and rear drive shafts which are only a few hundred a piece.

As far as know issues, not much more than any other vehicle sold. Maintenance is your best defense just like anything else. The N23 computer problem was a big issue for awhile that Jeep created trying to fix something that wasn't broken. But their is a new flash that fixes that issue. The starter wire is a known issue but a easy fix. These are maintenance intensive vehicles though. Drive train fluids need to be changed frequently during sever duty. I use M1 to extend the mileage a little bit. These Jeeps can now be lifted up to 6" now but I think 4" is plenty myself.

Smksignals

Explorer
Thank you for starting this thread. I have been looking for MONTHS for a used overland vehicle that could be a DD and a wheeler that is within my budget. I have been looking primarily at WJ's and WK's. The XK has been growing on me more and more lately, especially with it being on a WK chassis. I have been a Grand Cherokee person for years. I just retired my ZJ after many great trips.

On Friday night I bought a 2007 XK Overland with a Hemi and QD-II. It is an unmolested mall queen that looks brand new. I wheeled it yesterday in the Calico Mountains and this car is bad to the bone. Thank goodness for all the armor underneath. I am looking at adding a 4" lift, BFG A/T's or KM/2's (undecided), a CB and that's about it. I am looking forward to many new trips.

Smksignals

Explorer
So what are your initial impressions?

I love it. Cruises great on the highway. Tons of power. Performed very admirably off road. The 4 wheel lo range was awesome, even with street tires. Factory skid plates underneath. Super luxurious inside. Very comfortable to drive.

I have been reading up on lifts and have decided on a 2" lift instead of the 4". I am almost sold on the OME HD. Then I will be adding some off road tires. I am a little undecided on what tires to get. Going to do some more reading on my options.

I think this is going to be a great vehicle for longer 2-5 day off road trips and be my dedicated daily driver. As a true overlander away from civilization I am not sure I would pick this car. There is a boat load of electronics that could create some problems.

Last edited:

broken1

Observer
Glad you like it. I did the OME HD I bet you'll like it as well. I went with 245/75R17 for tire size. Couldn't be happier.
enajyhe4.jpg

That's me on the left, a stocker on the right... That's after spring settle in and a few hundred miles...

nnnnnate

Adventurer
Do the 2nd row seats fold down flat for a huge cargo area? Thinking flat place to sleep in the back.

Broken1- With that tire size you could pick up Rubicon take off 255/75/17s and save a grip of money, iffin you were so inclined. They regularly are sold in my area for $500-$650 for a set of 5. I bet the '13+ rubi rims would look sweet on an Commander as well.

camodog

Adventurer
I might go test drive one tomorrow after snowboarding. The wife is super interested right now, and it is very unusual for us both to have the same interest in vehicles.

Smksignals

Explorer
Broken1, thanks for the side by side pic. With the 245's did you need spacers? I am not to crazy about the spacer idea. I'll post a pic here this weekend of the before and then post an after when lift and tires are on.

Have you installed a CB? If yes, where did you mount it?

Thx,

Sal-XK

Observer
You can't go wrong with the OME lift and the HD is a good choice especially if your adding weight. Also you can use the rubi wheels but you need spacers because the wheel won't clear the caliper. You can also fit a small CB in the cubby on the left side. I had my last one in that spot it worked pretty good. But I might use that space for switches this time around.

broken1

Observer
Do the 2nd row seats fold down flat for a huge cargo area? Thinking flat place to sleep in the back.

Broken1- With that tire size you could pick up Rubicon take off 255/75/17s and save a grip of money, iffin you were so inclined. They regularly are sold in my area for $500-$650 for a set of 5. I bet the '13+ rubi rims would look sweet on an Commander as well.

Yes, not Suburban huge, but I've slept in the back at 6'4". I think 255/75/17s might rub, I get a touch of rub at full stuff and full lock on the lower A arm I think, I never bothered to look. just a little grock grock grock of the lugs touching something a smidge. for the Rubi rims see Sal-XK's post they won't clear the calipers.

Broken1, thanks for the side by side pic. With the 245's did you need spacers? I am not to crazy about the spacer idea. I'll post a pic here this weekend of the before and then post an after when lift and tires are on.

Have you installed a CB? If yes, where did you mount it?

Thx,

No spacers, with just a touch of rub at stuff and full lock. I would do that cobra two piece CB and hide the main body under the seat or something. I mostly go solo (I know, I know) or two vehicles so I do FRS/GMRS handhelds and I am a Ham so there is always that.

You can't go wrong with the OME lift and the HD is a good choice especially if your adding weight. Also you can use the rubi wheels but you need spacers because the wheel won't clear the caliper. You can also fit a small CB in the cubby on the left side. I had my last one in that spot it worked pretty good. But I might use that space for switches this time around.

I skipped spacers, didn't want to deal with it. I'm doijng the same on my new Taco. 235/85/16 nice hight, no rub or spacers. I have the power adjustable pedals so my cubby is pretty small. Ahhh first world problems...

Smksignals

Explorer
Sal, I just clicked on your link in your sig tag for your build thread here. NICE job. I dont know how I missed it in my searches. :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk