Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlander

nfrondall

I was looking at Jeep Cherokee XJs (1984-2001) for overlanding, but I noticed that a Grand Cherokee WJ (1999-2004) is cheaper and much easier to find one in good condition. There is way better aftermarket for a XJ, but a WJ carriers quite a good amount too, but if I bought the WJ I could afford more parts. Should I buy the WJ or keep trying to find a XJ?

MrWesson

Adventurer
I've owned 2 WJ's over the years so I might have some insight.

As a purpose built off roader the XJ is better IMO because of the cheaper aftermarket support.

As a DD the WJ is better with the 4.7.. Great acceleration, more comfortable ride, more comfortable interior, and just blends inside the populous day to day(unless you don't want boring).

Also if you do decide to modify/lift the WJ they just look incredible with bumpers and 33's.

Reliability?
XJ is simpler and therefor going to take the win here.

Aluminum head on the 4.7 will warp if its overheated repeatedly(or maybe even once).
Blend doors in the AC can be a pain the *** but recently a system was developed to save you removing the dash(making it a quick job).
The D44a axle is pretty strong but a odd duck in the off road world.. Not going to break except the bank when you want a locker.
Plastic radiators suck and i've gone through 4 between the 2 WJ's.
Brake lights get corroded which is easy to fix but quite funny now to notice every other WJ out there with 1 tail light working.
Unibody kind of sucks but both have that.

All that said it's faster than my current LR3, can tow 6500lbs, take a beating, get decent MPG(both mine 22hwy stock @ 65mph), dirt cheap to buy, and cheap junk yard parts.

Would I buy another one? No but only because i've been there done that and moved on. For the money I think its absolutely the best deal out there unless you can find a Gen 3 Montero Limited for the same money.

People will chime in telling you to avoid the limiteds because of the blend doors... Don't listen and read up on repairing the blend doors by making a small cut out of view in the dash. The limiteds look better and are more well equipped.

I'd try hard for a 4.7 H.O. limited/Overland with under 150k miles and Quadradrive.
My alternative choice would be 4.7 or H.O Limited without quadradrive and retrofit selectrac transfer case with a front lunchbox locker if I wanted an off roader..

For overland Quadradrive is just much better as it's invisible day to day and gives you great traction in off camber situations. The 2nd option would basically make it 2wd or locked front 4wd which counts you out for part time 4wd which is a great system for rain/snow on the WJ.

Last edited:

Mitch502

Explorer
If it's purpose built, only driven off-road, I'd say XJ. They're cheaper to modify and have a large aftermarket support. But WJ's have most things as well...

I drive a ZJ because to go anywhere off pavement where I live it's about 2 hours, and I don't tow my rig. So, I wanted something that is super nice riding in comparison to a "off road only" vehicle. I enjoy leather, headed seats, power everything, and plenty of room. All of which you can get with a XJ (except plenty of room), plus the ride is going to be better in a grand Cherokee. WJ's are all over junkyards here, so parts are easy to find.

What MrWesson said is pretty spot on...just look for rust, in a XJ or WJ, and you probably won't be upset with either. I see a lot of WJ's rust at the wheel well where it meets the back door for some reason.

P.S. My wife also likes the ZJ, cause it's comfortable for long trips.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
I've owned 3 XJs, 2 ZJs, 1 WJ, and 1 WKII and I'd not have any problem building any of them - except the WKII (too much fanciness to go wrong on the trail). My current off roader is an 01 XJ, and I love it, but its not as comfortable to drive long distance as the other models. My '96 ZJ has been my most reliable vehicle to date having owned it 17 years and done just over 200,00 miles personally on it. However, my '95 ZJ, which was a 4x4 with the 5.2L V8 was a much more powerful truck and more fun to drive. I wasn't as fond of our '04 WJ as I was either of the ZJs, but I the advantage for overlanding is the size of the interior and the headroom (important for a 6'6" driver). Since my trail rig is an XJ it goes without saying (even though I just said it) that I spend a lot of time in the junk yard. I've noticed a SEVERE drop off on the number of available XJs in the yards and the ENORMOUS increase in WJs.

If I had to start over I think I'd look for a 1998 ZJ 5.9, a 96-98 ZJ 5.2. I'm not convinced I'd build another XJ - and this coming from a guy on the board of directors of the North American XJ Association.

hxcjohnny

I've owned 6 XJ's over the years and one WJ. My dad currently has my old WJ. I had an 02 WJ overland. The overland was made in 02-04 in the WJ. Came factory with skids, quadradrive, tow package, 3.73 gears, rock sliders, and the HO version of the 4.7(the ho came with forged internals.) the 02's and early 03's came with upcountry suspension. Up country sat an inch higher and had nicer monotube shocks. The WJ is roomier, has coils all the way around, rides nicer, and has a much more modern interior than the XJ. The WJ tows GREAT and has gobs of power if you get the v8. That's something to keep in mind if you plan to lift and run a bigger tire. The 545rfe transmission behind the 4.7 is solid. It's the same trans they put behind the 5.7 hemi in ram trucks. The 4.7 can be a good motor if it's been maintained, but isn't as reliable as the 4.0 and doesn't take as well to neglect and abuse as the 4.0 does. They're known to be prone to sludge and can drop valves. Anal maintenance is key to keeping a happy 4.7.

With that said, the XJ is more simple, has a lot less there to break, has the bulletproof 4.0/aw4 combo, and has better aftermarket support. It has leafs in the rear, rides more rough, isn't as roomy or comfy, and has fewer amenities.

Given the two vehicles, I'd pick an XJ all day long just because of the sheer reliability and simplicity, but the WJ sure is a nice capable jeep. I just don't trust them like I do an old XJ.

Mitch502

Explorer
I've owned 3 XJs, 2 ZJs, 1 WJ, and 1 WKII and I'd not have any problem building any of them - except the WKII (too much fanciness to go wrong on the trail). My current off roader is an 01 XJ, and I love it, but its not as comfortable to drive long distance as the other models. My '96 ZJ has been my most reliable vehicle to date having owned it 17 years and done just over 200,00 miles personally on it. However, my '95 ZJ, which was a 4x4 with the 5.2L V8 was a much more powerful truck and more fun to drive. I wasn't as fond of our '04 WJ as I was either of the ZJs, but I the advantage for overlanding is the size of the interior and the headroom (important for a 6'6" driver). Since my trail rig is an XJ it goes without saying (even though I just said it) that I spend a lot of time in the junk yard. I've noticed a SEVERE drop off on the number of available XJs in the yards and the ENORMOUS increase in WJs.

If I had to start over I think I'd look for a 1998 ZJ 5.9, a 96-98 ZJ 5.2. I'm not convinced I'd build another XJ - and this coming from a guy on the board of directors of the North American XJ Association.

I'm going to narrow that down and say stay away from a 5.2 and just spend the money on a 5.9L. I've had both. The 5.2L was nice, in all the same ways as a 5.9L is...except the transmissions are prone to failure on the 5.2L...5.9L's have the 46RE or whatever it is, and it pretty solid.

I didn't mention BUYING a ZJ because you exclusively mentioned WJ's and XJ's. But you can make a very nice moderate over landing ZJ for a very good price. 3.5" lift with 32" tires will get you anywhere.

Capercrew02

Observer
I've got a 1999 wj, and absolutely love it! I researched all the above vehicles for over a year before pulling the trigger. For overlanding, moderately difficult off-road trails, and just about everything shy of hardcore rock crawling, I found that a 4.7 with quadradrive will do very well. You have to be okay limiting your tires to 32-33, if you go this route, but as long as your okay with that size, it's an amazing factory locker. I ended up doing the iron rock off-road 4.5" long arm kit since basically all the suspension parts where shot on the vehicle I purchased, and I've been incredibly impressed. I've done trails beyond what I thought it was capable of, and it did it with ease. I do a lot of desert and trail riding with built Tj's and side by sides, never once have I been unable to follow along, and the comfort is un beatable! I picked up mine with 115k, rust free, for under 3,500. The capability, to cost is unmatched I believe. Especially with the quadradrive, and v8.

jpat30

Adventurer
Another vote for a WJ here! I have a 03 Laredo with the bulletproof 4.0 and selectrac t case. While not as fast as the 4.7, it will live twice as long with just marginal maintenance compared to the 4.7 which can be very picky. I installed a 3 inch OME HD lift with Bilstein 5100s and I currently run 32in BFG KOs on factory Rubicon takeoffs. It has taken my family all across the county and never once left us stranded. I think for a DD/Weekend explorer, you cant beat a WJ.

madmax718

Explorer
I have an 01 WJ limited with the 4.0 and quadradrive. The later 4.0's have less issues with the head cracking. It does have the weaker transmission (42re) but the better transfer case withe the locking/limited in both the front, rear, and center.

Ya, the plastic radiator sucks. The blend doors suck- the kit, eh.. isn't really all that great either, its just has you prop the blend gate open to either open (fresh air in) or recirc. Its just a Tig wire bent up.

Its a jeep. You will be fixing it. Lol

I did put a 1.5" (I think) puck lift in, and v8 springs, while keeping the stock tire sizing. I don't do hardcore offroading nowadays, so I just take it easy, just to get to some off the path camping areas, beaches, etc.

chasespeed

Explorer
The WJ has a stiffer unibody than the XJ or ZJ.

We are happy with our WJ. I went with a Limited w/ the 4.slow. Clayton kit(also strengthens the uni-body), regeared, with trutrac in front, and selectable in rear.

I only worry about the axles bending, and the transmission(I don't trust automatics).

The XJ has more universal support.

Thinking about a JKUR for the next one.... But, that's down the road.

Chase

dglenn1960

I love my 2002 WJ Overland, great vehicle especially considering I picked it up for $4,500.00 with only 136,000 miles. That was the main reason along with the solid front axle. Built like a tank, rides like an old Oldsmobile 98...schmooth. Perfect all around Overlander if well maintained. Daily driver, skid plates, Up Country with BB lift. Bilsteins, Bridgestones, Akebono to Teves calipers. Grab one while their still affordable, do your best to get an Overland model. As with any off roader Jeep, it runs best if your always workin on it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 34

hxcjohnny

Be careful with any of the automatics behind the 4.0's in both the ZJ or WJ. They're weak. A shift kit and routine maintenance makes a world of difference, but they're far less reliable than the 545rfe behind the 4.7.

Even the 4.0 in the WJ wasnt without issue. The early 0331 head casting in the WJ was known to crack, and piston skirts were an issue in the later 4.0's.

I say this as a big 4.0 fan. I've had 6 of them over the years... All in XJ's. The 4.7 can be a good engine if maintained. They just don't handle neglect as well as the 4.0. The 4.7/45rfe or 545rfe in the WJ performs much better in the heavy WJ than the 4.0 does. The 4.7 is prone to sludge, so make sure routine oil changes have been kept up with.

I loved my 02 overland. If I bought another WJ it would definitely be the v8. The towing capacity and drivability is heads and tails better than the 4.0.

If I could find one, I'd go for a WJ Laredo with the 4.7. It'll have the 242HD selectrac transfer case, d44a rear end, and it won't have the crappy blend door issue the limited WJ's had

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal