Jeep guy needs some LR info

Jwestpro

Explorer
As with most Land Rovers, they are typically always due for a fairly thorough "refresh" of consumables and wear items between 75k and 100k. Luckily, its quite a reduced burden from previous models... where 75k was pretty much a guaranteed engine teardown/reseal and maybe head gaskets.

So that I accurately understand what you mean, you think that a radiator, differential, wheel bearing, shifting module, and some other major parts are "wear" items? I don't think so. In fact I think it's total crap these things failed so soon.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
He said it himself, it's hard to fit in a jeep. Wrangler's are all fenders, there is no space on the inside, even in the JK unlimited.

For thoose that have not seen a JK unlimited it is a pretty large vehicle, and much fenders :) but rather large on the inside but not so large on the inside as LR3/4or landcruiser. But is it enough?, that depends what you bring with You. I find it enough for me and 4 adults for camping.

there are enough space for 2 adults for sleeping

155162087.jpg

With a interior rack (shelf) You can more easely load stuff to the roof

156605142.jpg

I do like my tailgate table on my unlimited for cooking and such

152596012.jpg

Me and a friend in the back looking at a movie

152596013.jpg

So I would not say that the unlimited have small interior but I can say that the other have a bigger interior and it depends how much stuff You bring with you if it will fit or not.

I do like the bars in the Jeep, You can strap so much stuff on them

Just for fun, I will show You a movie with my former 2 door wrangler on a camping trip with 4 adults. It had a hitch carrier and it was tight:) Thats why I got a 4 door instead for more space.

I do understand the intrest in a lr3 or lr4, so much space and hight and width, hope you find a nice one.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
So that I accurately understand what you mean, you think that a radiator, differential, wheel bearing, shifting module, and some other major parts are "wear" items? I don't think so. In fact I think it's total crap these things failed so soon.

I mean that 75-100k miles is the typical failure range for major components with LR... always has been.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
He said it himself, it's hard to fit in a jeep. Wrangler's are all fenders, there is no space on the inside, even in the JK unlimited.
I've ridden in JK unlimited and they are not that small. Two adults, two kids. Not a problem. You want a bit more space then do what lots of others do: get a roofrack. Why get rid of something you love and that has been so good to you for the unknown of a used Land Rover. This comes from a long time D1 owner who has loved his Disco. The residual value alone of your already owned fine jeep is something the LR3/LR4 can't remotely compare with. A bit bigger interior is absolutely no reason to get rid of your beloved Jeep. There are creative ways to increase your Jeep space substantially such as a roofrack and not bringing along every outdoor possession you could possibly buy or own or a rear rack above spare for a few items. Keep It Simple. Get an LR if you have an itch but otherwise stay with the old gal you brought to the party and that has been so good to you. A bit more interior space is not a good reason. That's like going for a new woman over your fine tried and true woman simply because woman#2 had a big boob job that gave you an itch.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
This is a path many of us take, from a toy (Jeep) that is fun when there are just 2 of you, family begins to grow, 2 kids, more stuff, older, less hard core wheelin, you find yourself hauling more stuff camping, look around and start thinking about that next vehicle that is more comfortable, allows the family to grow, pulls that next larger trailer that you know your thinking about, allows longer trips, ............. etc.

:coffeedrink:

I've gone from a Jeep PU, Scout, Disco I and now LR4. Still have the Disco. Love the LR4, capabilities, HD package, big V8 and towing capacity.

no-pistons

Adventurer
I don't know how common it is, but the transmission on my LR3 was blown at 65k and needed a full rebuild.

Apparently the bushing on the e-clutch/input shafts wear out on these heavy vehicles. I guess it's somewhat common on the big BMW 7 series also with the same ZF transmission.

I'd be very skeptical of vehicles over 75k miles with no transmission service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

axels

Adventurer
Are you anywhere near ABQ?

Track down the High Desert Rover guys and visit with them... http://highdesertrovers.org/

Me?

'53 Series 1 / '71 IIa 109 / '94 Disco / '97 D90 ... all total pains in the backside....whatever you do, don't buy a Land Rover ;)

I moved down to ABQ 4 months ago and I have tried to locate this group with no success.
The website is pretty outdated and I never got a reply.
Let me know how to join...

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Roverrocks,
I would hardly compare switching vehicles to better suit my needs, to trading my wife in for another woman. Wow let hope that was a joke or sarcasm. Some people seem hung up on me keeping the jeep? Haven't you guys owned a vehicle and then gotten rid of that vehicle for something different? It's like those that persist I keep the jeep have only owned one vehicle all their life.
Maybe I should have just said,
I'm thinking about a LR for my families out door adventures what do you guys think?

I moved down to ABQ 4 months ago and I have tried to locate this group with no success.
The website is pretty outdated and I never got a reply.
Let me know how to join...

I'm in Iowa so not much help but check with Rob at SWR Automotive there in ABQ.

TRIARII

Adventurer
No vehicle is perfect nor free of mechanical issues. The problem with forums is that more often times only people with bad experiences post their problems, whereas people who dont have any issues have no need to post anything online. So a quick google search or skim through forums may yeld a false impression of how reliable or unreliable a vehicle it. I just watched a mini series on youtube "Expedition Overland" and learned alot about Toyota's. But most of what I learned was not from the series, rather the comments people were posting for the video. Many of them were obviously Toyota lovers and one thing most of them seemed to imply was that Toyotas are much more reliable than Jeeps. Unrelated last year my supervisor received a letter in the mail from Jeep. It was to inform him of a potential fire hazard due to a weak spot underneath the truck that would potentially cause a fluid to leak onto the exhaust and catch fire. .... Jeeps have had their own issues just as Land Rover has had their but it seems like people try to hide that fact. People often tell me that Land Rovers are junk because "they are British" etc. For a long time Jeeps suffered from major chassis and body rot issues, weak suspension, the death wobble, weak diffs etc. Land Rovers prior to the 90's were pretty decent then BMW bought the company and things went sour. The main issue affecting Rovers from the 90's up to 2004 was the American made Buck V8 (renamed Rover V8) that was prone to blow head gaskets, cracks in the wall if overheated, engine ticking, missfires, slipped liners etc. The electronics were another issue. So many computers on board. For example if your brake pads get to thin or one of your wheel hubs starts to show signs of failure then the computer system will light up your dash cluster like a Christmas tree (3 amigos) and of course the only way to read and delete the codes is a ABS code reader/diagnostic tool. But the main issue with the 90's Rovers was neglect. For some reason these vehicles seem more sensitive to prolonged oil changed. They dont really like when you let the oil get to low. Some vehicles can keep on running for a long time with a quart of oil, but not the Rover v8. Seems alot of people felt that because they paid so much for the vehicle, they did not have to worry about changing the oil on time, thus the engines break down and LR gets bad rep.

That said the Discovery 3/LR3 came out with a couple new engines (no more Rover V8) no more issues with slipped liners or engine ticking or premature headgasket failure. The V6 version uses a Ford Explorer engine if Im not mistaken and the V8 uses wither BMW or Jaguar engine if Im correct. The 3 amigos was probably addressed as well. So it seems like the Discovery 3 is a much more reliable vehicle with a refreshed design.

Change the oil on time or sooner, check your air suspension every now and again, change diff fluids on time and you should be just fine. The advantage of owning a Discovery 3 vs a Discovery 4 is that the market for aftermarket replacement parts and off road parts is finally opening up and more support is becoming available. it just takes time. Rovers north, Atlantic British, Lucky 8 llc all specialize is selling aftermarket parts and mods for Rovers including the Disco 3 for more reasonable prices. Youtube has videos on how to replace the air struts and air compressor. Airnottt suspension now sells air suspension parts for the RR and Discovery 3 for considerably cheaper than genuine. Land Rovers are not much more expensive than any other vehicle. You go to the dealership with a Jeep and ask for service or a new part and you will pay with your limb, same with every dealership for every car make. The key to owning a newer Land Rover such as an Discovery 3 is aftermaket parts from companies who specialize in Rovers. The LR community is huge and there are plenty of businesses that cater to them. Just do your research, open up to DIY work, buy aftermarket parts and save tons of money. Simple. Just find one with a wealth of service records so you know it was well cared for. The only reason the Jeep has such a high value is demand, not practicality or reliability. LR has considerably less demand in the US and they are feign so they will cost more and lose their value quicker.

Good luck and thanks for checking out the LR section.

jhawk

Adventurer
It's not about the vehicle or the money, both are just tools.

Own the correct tool to help you achieve the experience you're looking for. In the long run you will not regret the cost.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven