Jeep guy needs some LR info

Jwestpro

Explorer
I now have a 2014 EcoDiesel GC Summit. While not nearly as well versed off-road it isn't bad and the fuel economy is at least 10 MPG more than what the LR4 could do.

There's an extensive thread regarding the un-reliability of your new vehicle ;) It's either on EP, ih8bud, or maybe landroverworld. Unfortunately it looed as if it's not just a few people complaining but somewhat of a widespread base of identical occurrences. Who knows though. My 96 mentioned above NEVER just left me stranded but I always had the same master LR tech, then at a private shop, looking over it every 6 months or so which caught things as needed rather than upon total failure.

Enjoy your fuel economy and thank you for not calling it "gas" mileage!

GOOD LUCK!

Jwestpro

Explorer
Given the amount of build on that truck, if he started with a base model and (if even because nothing more than he wanted to) built the truck, he would have way more than that in it by the time you figure the raw cost of all the gear and the labor. That truck has sliders that are no longer available that protect all the way over to the frame rails, it has under belly protection, winch, synth winch line, lighting that is hooked up ready to go, rear tire swing away, HD package, Rear entertainment for his kids, and onboard air, and I could keep on going. By the time you figure parts and labor that is a $10K bill all by itself.

Well, I just read that thread in the classified section and my biggest concern would be that the seller seems to think that painting some slider scratches is a remedy for rust. While it is of little concern on the slider specifically, it would concern me as an overall approach in how other things have been handled over 123,000 miles of time. For example, my sliders had rust. You wouldn't be able to scrape off some BS paint and find rust or poorly protected metal because I had mine 1st blasted clean, 2nd galvanized, 3rd powdercoated after letting the galvanizing cure a few months all by major industrial shops.

I just want to punch the guy in the face who is selling a used car saying it's "rust free" but when you show up you find fresh black rattle canning all underneath the car.

Jwestpro

Explorer
$22k for an LR3 with 123k miles on it? Seriously? That is a better option than him keeping and working with something that he knows everything about?

It is a saying. You stick with the one you brought. As in, you do not come with one girl to the dance and then, halfway through, ditch her for someone else. His point is exactly the same as mine. You OWN as close to a depreciation proof vehicle as an American manufacturer has ever produced. You have built it up to be pretty extreme, with 37s, etc... A pretty common thing with something that can be built from a catalog. The good thing though is that you can also undo it with people all over the place who would be willing to help you downgrade. Then, you will have a more family friendly, better riding 4 door. The bonus to that is that it is a vehicle where parts can be bought anywhere, at any time, and one that you know the service and use history of. That last part is crucial and priceless. Having to spend $22k on a truck with 123k miles on it makes zero sense. That is what he was saying.

Simply wanting more interior space or some other aspect can supersede all of your very valid points listed. It's like showing up to the dance and the two of you realize you'd rather not be together anymore. Get over it and move on ;)

Anyway, I agree on the service history. Selling mine would come with every single document since 0 miles all under my care. I'm too busy to do things myself and I don't price shop over quality so it's gotten the best hands on it whether indy, dealer, or aftermarket.

I can say however that while mine may only be worth mid $20k's now, it represents an $80k investment. Buying a used LR at this point I think the sweet spot is actually around this mileage and price as long as you are willing to accept that due to the huge savings over doing it all yourself from new, you may need to spend another 5-10k in your first few years which still puts you far ahead of what I've spent.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Like most marques, LR's are what you make them, or what you let them be. After 150k miles and 16 years our D1 still ran it's original alternator, PAS box & pump, AC compressor and 4.0L engine. Aside from routine/preventative maintenance, I only replaced the trans due to a failed A-clutch. We sold it on to a fellow enthusiast who still drives it every day. Whenever I see a D1 I miss mine immensely, however, I find myself much happier with the simplicity of a single Series LR.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
There's an extensive thread regarding the un-reliability of your new vehicle ;) It's either on EP, ih8bud, or maybe landroverworld. Unfortunately it looed as if it's not just a few people complaining but somewhat of a widespread base of identical occurrences. Who knows though. My 96 mentioned above NEVER just left me stranded but I always had the same master LR tech, then at a private shop, looking over it every 6 months or so which caught things as needed rather than upon total failure.

Enjoy your fuel economy and thank you for not calling it "gas" mileage!

GOOD LUCK!

Yea, I have read a bunch of those threads and while mine seems to have it's quirks it has not spent any time in the shop yet. Not saying it doesn't need to go but so far most everything (key word most, but everything absolutely necessary) has worked on the vehicle.

Best part of the fuel economy is that on a 430 mile trip, I can arrive with 1/3 of a tank of diesel left. Unlike the LR4 that took just over a tank and a half of premium to get the same distance. I think that is worth something.

Plus so far I have been able to find everything in the aftermarket to build the vehicle for overland travel just like I would have built the LR4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven