Jeep on long trips.....

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
So I am on my way to the dealership tomorrow to look at, test drive and more than likely order a 2014 Rubicon.

I will be doing some long trips with it driving from NY to Kentucky 4-8 times a year

Am I making a mistake buying a wrangler unlimited with long trips in mind? My current vehicle is a 05 silverado 1500 and drives very nice on the highway.

It's been years since I owned my 94 wrangler. But I never took it on a long trip.

Please let me know what you think of your wrangler unlimited and it's ride on the highway.

Perhaps I am getting night before ordering jitters?

As always thanks for your insights, they are all appreciated.

Jim

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I have a 2009 JK four door and have literally driven it coast to coast, from Northern CA to Jersey. I have also taken it on multiple long journeys, and have had no problems at all. I love mine, and you should like the 14 even better with the Pentastar engine and new tranny.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I've driven from Seattle to Tahoe on 35's and have no regrets whatsoever. The JKU doesn't have nearly the cargo space of a full size pickup, but you learn to make it work for you and/or buy a roof or over-tire rack. I've managed to get all of my wife and teenaged daughter's crap (enough to go broke paying baggage fees if we were flying) in there for a weeklong trip without needing a rack of any sorts.

Pull the trigger!

Bennyhana

Adventurer
We took our 13 Rubi on a 6000 mile roadtrip this last summer. The back seats aren't the greatest comfort wise for adults on long trips but for kids it works just fine. As Yarjammer said there's not a whole ton of cargo room. We had a trailer so that free'd up alot. The Pentestar made hills no sweat and even with towing the trailer we averaged 18mpg. The A/C works good, we were able to run it non stop on the 100+ degree days. The 13+ front seats are way more comfortable than earlier years. Road noise isn't a factor either. IMG_1180.jpg

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I grew up riding in and driving a 76 CJ5. I later bought an 83 CJ7. I thought the 7 was a dream compared to the CJ5, Last summer why wife thought our next new car should be a 4 door Jeep so we went to the dealership. Just taking a test drive around the lot and nearby streets was like driving a Cadillac. I think you will see a huge difference between the new Jeep and your old 94!!! Jeeps have made huge strides in comfort level over the last few years. We have taken ours all over the west coast and Nevada. Not one single complaint about noise or comfort.

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
I've driven mine on many a long trip - some with the top down, nothing like the wind in your hair and sun on your face. The on-road manners of the new JK's are greatly improved, reasonable gas milage for a 4x4 and good overall creature comforts. I say go for it.

fgtex

I was not a fan of 3-plus hour trips in my JKUR. It was my first Jeep, coming from a F350. I will own another Jeep in the future, but long trips will be in the truck. It might be good to rent one for a weekend and go on a multi-hour trip to see what you think.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I had a 99 Silverado 1500 prior to my JKUR. I must say that while the jeep is OK for long trips, my back does suffer a bit after a few hours. The Silverado on the other hand was the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. I felt great even after 10-12 hours on the road.
I did not buy the jeep for long haul trips though. ;)

Weeds

Adventurer
We have done the long trips in the jeep, in fact the wife prefers it over her car. Your comfort level may depend on your height. I am 5'6" and the jeep fits me well.

KA5IVR

Observer
If you don't mind putting the miles on it, go for it. The JK's ride great and get descent MPG's. If it was a TJ, no way. I have a 2006 TJ Rubicon and I just trailer it on long trips.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Just back from driving the jeep

Have to say it did better in the highway than I thought!

With seats folded it had decent cargo room.

All is left now is to order it!

Thanks for the insights.

Jim

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Yup, same here. Many, many long distance trips in all kind of road and weather conditions and no regrets what so ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3