Jeep Patriot

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
We spend far more time on the tarmac than we do off road, so it made sense for us to go this route. I know it's a horrible, horrible pair of words to bring up on an overlanding site, but for the garden variety ROAD TRIP these rigs are awesome.
jeepmoab.jpg

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Sharp rig Flounder. What kind of mileage are you getting with the rocket box and bike on the roof? A Liberty CRD has been super appealing to me lately but these Patriots seem like a great value with comparable mpg,s and what seems like respectable offroad ability. How does interior space compare to a Liberty? Patriots are definately growing on me.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Sharp rig Flounder. What kind of mileage are you getting with the rocket box and bike on the roof? A Liberty CRD has been super appealing to me lately but these Patriots seem like a great value with comparable mpg,s and what seems like respectable offroad ability. How does interior space compare to a Liberty? Patriots are definately growing on me.
When we started our search for a new rig, the last thing on my list was a Patriot. I thought they were ugly and lame in all the ways a vehicle could be. Then...it grew on me. Now, I don't know what else we would get (in this class) if we didn't have a Patriot. I find the interior space to be pretty close to the Liberty. I think passenger space in the rear of the Liberty is more comfortable, but our only passenger is our black lab. As I've said before, the offroad proficiency of the Patriot will really surprise you, especially the FreedomDrive II system. It's really amazing. Without a doubt, it's far superior to the open diff Traction Control system on my '02 Discovery. How sad that is to admit.

Our day to day mileage is around 21 mpg. On the highway, we regularly get 24-26 mpg. With the cargo box and a bike on top it might dip to 23-24, but that number can drop to 21 again at speeds over 70mph.

A couple things to consider:

- Power, it has none. It's a gutless wonder, but after the first couple thousand miles of ownership and I had largely acclimated to slow accelerations. Not a big deal to me at this point.

- Appointments, it needs them. We got the maximum number of options possible and that's made the driving experience very enjoyable. I think these cars benefit from leather, nicer interior trim and other refinements. Otherwise, these entry level vehicles do feel cheap. The contrast between a base model and a fully appointed model is pretty profound.

Wrap all that up with a lifetime warranty and it's pretty sweet.

It's easy to think the Patriot is a tiny cupcake of a car. However, the other day I parked next to a mid 90s Cherokee and the two were pretty darn close in size. I never considered the Cherokee compact, but maybe it is.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
When we started our search for a new rig, the last thing on my list was a Patriot. I thought they were ugly and lame in all the ways a vehicle could be. Then...it grew on me. Now, I don't know what else we would get (in this class) if we didn't have a Patriot. I find the interior space to be pretty close to the Liberty. I think passenger space in the rear of the Liberty is more comfortable, but our only passenger is our black lab. As I've said before, the offroad proficiency of the Patriot will really surprise you, especially the FreedomDrive II system. It's really amazing. Without a doubt, it's far superior to the open diff Traction Control system on my '02 Discovery. How sad that is to admit.

Our day to day mileage is around 21 mpg. On the highway, we regularly get 24-26 mpg. With the cargo box and a bike on top it might dip to 23-24, but that number can drop to 21 again at speeds over 70mph.

A couple things to consider:

- Power, it has none. It's a gutless wonder, but after the first couple thousand miles of ownership and I had largely acclimated to slow accelerations. Not a big deal to me at this point.

- Appointments, it needs them. We got the maximum number of options possible and that's made the driving experience very enjoyable. I think these cars benefit from leather, nicer interior trim and other refinements. Otherwise, these entry level vehicles do feel cheap. The contrast between a base model and a fully appointed model is pretty profound.

Wrap all that up with a lifetime warranty and it's pretty sweet.

It's easy to think the Patriot is a tiny cupcake of a car. However, the other day I parked next to a mid 90s Cherokee and the two were pretty darn close in size. I never considered the Cherokee compact, but maybe it is.

yup. they're very similar in size.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
409e6a99.jpg

Snapped this pic the other day. If a gasser Patriot is getting high 20's for mpg's, makes you wonder what the CRD version like this one gets here in Italy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner