Jeep Pickup pics

91AzXJ

Adventurer
When they showed the Renegade proto and people thought that this might be the production vehicle, everyone was screaming that I hope they bring it out in a four door, now that they are showing a Wrangler based vehicle, people want a two door. This just proves that you can't please everyone. Heck, I'd just love a Jeep PU!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
At EJS a good friend of mine was talking to Mark Allen about if there will be a 2 door and a 4 door pickup.

My friend really wants both.

Obviously Mark wouldn't confirm anything, but he did say "I think you will be very happy", with a huge smile.

I personally think there will be both a 2 door and a 4 door version.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
At EJS a good friend of mine was talking to Mark Allen about if there will be a 2 door and a 4 door pickup.

My friend really wants both.

Obviously Mark wouldn't confirm anything, but he did say "I think you will be very happy", with a huge smile.

I personally think there will be both a 2 door and a 4 door version.

-Dan

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Would not be that difficult to do if they made it a short bed 4 door and a long bed 2 door on the same wheelbase/frame ~ 130 inches long (16 more than the current JKU? IIRC).

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Oh, absolutely I believe they will screw it up.

I even told the local dealer that if I could order the JK I wanted, I would do it, no hesitation, and they just say "It can't be done." And all I wanted was the Rubi axles/tcase/suspension, the low gears for those axles (4.10), an auto trans, and everything else base (and a hardtop, but that isn't a deal killer). Nope, no way. Fine, I'll stick with the one I have, and probably stick with it for the next 10+ years. But is it really that hard to give the customer what they want? Especially on a vehicle they're ordering? When it's all stuff that's already on the assembly line? Apparently it is if you're FCA.

jpat30, 2drx4, Praise! Why can't you go get a bare bones Jeep with the beefy 4x4 and half doors and vinyl seats? Why can't you order a Sport with the Rubicon running gear? Wouldn't that make sense, to make a no frills, utilitarian version with heavy duty running gear? Why do we have to pay for cruise control and Nav and leather to get upgraded axles? Thank the Lord you can still buy a no frills Jeep (but even that has a bunch of crap) that's very plain and utilitarian (you mean like Jeeps have been since the beginning of time?!?) But I would LOVE to see a way to go back to the days where you go to a dealership and check the boxes you want and not have to pay for stuff you don't want with all these packages. And its everyone, not just Jeep. Similarly, why can't we just have a base regular cab truck?

Dan, Thank God for Mark Allen, maybe our prayers will be answered!

AEV

Supporting Sponsor - American Expedition Vehicles
Glad to see the prototype has the removable roof panels like a regular JKU. Hopefully the rear roof section will be removable as well. I would change out the rear bed most likely to improve the departure angle anyways with a flat bed that was more tolerant of being "bumped" into trees, etc. and that would hold the spare tire flat with a roof tent on it - keeps the CG lower and makes access easier - don't have to worry about trees as much then either.

If it's anything like an AEV Brute it will be :)

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Sorta off topic but I'd love to see an aftermarket to make the windshield foldable if the rumors are true that its fixed. First traditional "Jeep" ever without it.....

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You could argue that the current JK/JKU doesn't have a real foldable windshield already - have yet to see one down on the road or on a trail. Looks like a banana left on the hood. 28 fasteners in three different sizes I heard...

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The one thing the current windshield frame does have is mounting points built in, for things like racks, and lighting. If the new windshield doesn't fold, it makes less sense to drill holes in the structure. So hope Jeep engineers thought ahead for all of those who want a substantial rack mount.
After all, rack mounting isn't just for taxidermists any more... :elkgrin:

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Very true, you do see way more jeeps with stuff bolted on the hinges, ect than you do the windshield down. Will be interesting to see what they come up with. And I thought the TJ windshield was a pain to fold.....that sounds ridiculous even without the curved glass...
received_10207673426664026.jpeg

2drx4

Adventurer
You could argue that the current JK/JKU doesn't have a real foldable windshield already - have yet to see one down on the road or on a trail. Looks like a banana left on the hood. 28 fasteners in three different sizes I heard...

I know a guy that does it all the time. It's kinda awkward because with the way it sits, but the reality is they can't build a dinky little windshield frame with current safety standards, so there's no getting away from it.

Personally I think the windshield is one of the better inventions of the 20th century, and like to leave mine up.

AEV

Supporting Sponsor - American Expedition Vehicles
Side note: I saw a guy in a CJ last night with his windshield down. I wonder how his face looked because the bugs were out in full force.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Side note: I saw a guy in a CJ last night with his windshield down. I wonder how his face looked because the bugs were out in full force.

Oh, the bugs are brutal. Beetles and bees by far hurt the worst, especially above say, 35. But the gnats are a pain driving near water at dusk, you have to clean your glasses off there's so many! And unless you're on a protein only diet I would strongly recommend keeping your chomper shut :xxrotflma

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Just thinking ahead, I wonder how long they'll keep a solid axle up front. I would imagine that once its in the market and is consistently compared and reviewed with the Tacoma and Colorado, Jeep will swap the SFA with an IFS, maybe excluding the "Rubicon" trim or similar. That's just my guess though... Honestly it'd probably be just fine as most rock wheelers would want a short wheel base traditional Wrangler anyways. It'd probably still be a locking or LSD system but would be much more road mannered.

Sometimes I hope I'm wrong though. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk